Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-14-2008, 09:56 PM
woop

Default "Is your dog friendly?"

I've been having some bad socialization luck lately. Pit's a very shy, very soft dog. He's cautious about most new people and animals, but will warm up to them quickly if he deems them safe enough. On the other hand, he will have a major confidence set-back if they're not friendly.

Today I was walking him around a busy marketplace to meet new people. Everyone was really nice, and he was happy to see them all (yay). We came across a little cocker spaniel, wagging her tail, sitting outside the store with his owner, so I went over my little speech with the man. "Hello, my dog is very shy and I am trying to boost his confidence by meeting friendly dogs and people. Is she (pointing at his dogs) dog friendly?" He said yes, so we let them meet. I knew it was bad news as soon as Pit approached her. She went stiff and tagged him on the face as he went to turn away thus setting us back a good bit.

Why say yes when you're not sure if your dog will be nice?

How do you guys go about letting your dog meet other dogs? Do you trust the owners word, or do you go by your own judgment on the dogs body language?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Bored Now.

He's TOO friendly, which I make sure to tell people. He's very in-your-face, but receives corrections from other dogs well.

I take a good look at the other dog's body language before he's allowed to meet them.. accidents still happen, but luckily he's so happy-go-lucky other dogs nailing him doesn't deter him. That hasn't happened often, though.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Top Dog

Ollie is very friendly with all dogs ....my neighbor adopted a lab/pit dog . Sweet dog , but the minute she met Olllie she attacked him .... Luckily he didn't retaliate and I could separate them .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
How do you guys go about letting your dog meet other dogs?
At this point, they don't. All 3 of mine lack dog/dog social skills, so unless I know the dog very well there is no meeting.
Frodo is aggressive, Izzy will snap if they get within her two foot comfort zone and Mollie growls her little buns off while still wanting to get to know the other dog.

Quote:
Do you trust the owners word, or do you go by your own judgment on the dogs body language?
I never trust owners around here...

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 01-14-2008, 10:53 PM
just call me Nilly

Sierra's great with 90***37; of the dogs she meets, but every now and then one will cross her the wrong way, and she reacts badly to them. Overall I say yes she's very friendly, but I also do my best to watch her with new dogs for any sign that things might go south.

I've only been surprised once. She meets a LOT of dogs, and only three has she reacted badly too, so I feel comfortable saying that yes, she's friendly.

In this situation with the gentleman and his cocker, perhaps that was a highly unusual reaction from his dog? Your dog being uneasy and nervous is bound to illicit certain reactions from some dogs, as the body language is offsetting.

I'm sorry you had a setback, but it sounds like this was an unexpected situation from all sides.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 01-14-2008, 11:02 PM
Athletic Labs. They Exist

Quote:
Originally Posted by skKi View Post
I've been having some bad socialization luck lately. Pit's a very shy, very soft dog. He's cautious about most new people and animals, but will warm up to them quickly if he deems them safe enough. On the other hand, he will have a major confidence set-back if they're not friendly.

Today I was walking him around a busy marketplace to meet new people. Everyone was really nice, and he was happy to see them all (yay). We came across a little cocker spaniel, wagging her tail, sitting outside the store with his owner, so I went over my little speech with the man. "Hello, my dog is very shy and I am trying to boost his confidence by meeting friendly dogs and people. Is she (pointing at his dogs) dog friendly?" He said yes, so we let them meet. I knew it was bad news as soon as Pit approached her. She went stiff and tagged him on the face as he went to turn away thus setting us back a good bit.

Why say yes when you're not sure if your dog will be nice?

How do you guys go about letting your dog meet other dogs? Do you trust the owners word, or do you go by your own judgment on the dogs body language?
Maybe any other time she was friendly. Maybe him being nervous got her uneasy. Even if he didn't show it im sure she could sense he wasn't 100% comfortable.

Pretty much my point is even the friendliest dog can act out from time to time.

I always tell people Maggie is shy and she MAY nip if other dogs get in her face and she's not ready. Over friendly pushy dogs are not her "thing". Usually I just say she isn't friendly because I don't want to chance it.
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Old 01-14-2008, 11:35 PM
Are you dead yet?

I don't often approach people and ask to let their dog meet with mine. If they ask if my dog is friendly, I say yes - but often let her do no more than a quick sniff and then call her away if the other dog seems uncomfortable.

I don't trust most people's assessments of their dogs. If I see a dog that looks stiff or is dragging their owner towards my dog with their head and tail held too high, I tend to move away. Most of the time around here, these are Labs or bully breed dogs whose owners insist that they "just want to play". Then they act shocked when their dog tries to tear someone else's dog a new one.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:52 PM
Top Dog

I've never owned a dog who had their shackles up when greeting other dogs .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-15-2008, 01:51 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
I don't often approach people and ask to let their dog meet with mine. If they ask if my dog is friendly, I say yes - but often let her do no more than a quick sniff and then call her away if the other dog seems uncomfortable.

I don't trust most people's assessments of their dogs. If I see a dog that looks stiff or is dragging their owner towards my dog with their head and tail held too high, I tend to move away. Most of the time around here, these are Labs or bully breed dogs whose owners insist that they "just want to play". Then they act shocked when their dog tries to tear someone else's dog a new one.

I agree. I trust very few people's assessments of their own dog.

I think you would be better finding people you know with dogs you know and doing your socialization that way. When out in public, it's best to have your dog be relaxed and non-reactive, but it doesn't have to meet-n-greet everyone while out. I don't let other dogs approach my dogs when out, not because I'm a witch, but because it's just too much of a risk. Just to be well-behaved at my side is all I ask.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:58 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I make my own judgments based on dogs body language. I hardly, if ever, trust an owners word.