Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-14-2008, 01:29 AM
Big Dog

I have bought some of my pets from the petstore, and I could imagine buying a pet from a petstore again as long as the animals are well looked after. There are very few pet stores in my nearest city and it's just not viable to boycott those stores simply because they sell small animals. Not to mention, living in a small place like this, with no shelter having anything but cats or dogs or the occasional odd rabbit, I don't have a lot of options other than the petstore if I want a more exotic or unusual pet.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:39 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

How about a breeder?

With that mentality people think it's okay to buy cats and dogs from petstores, too.. and since they don't want to be inconvenienced to buy responsibly, they'll support stores that do... *shrugs* why not? there's a surplus of animals anyways...

Old 01-14-2008, 06:29 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

I have bought small animals and fish from pet stores, and also from breeders. Frankly, many of the breeders are creepier than the pet stores . . . but not all of them.

I'm very picky about where I buy my small animals; they have to be clean, healthy, separated by gender, and played with by the staff. So far, I've not gotten a rotten one under those rules.

I have to say that the sale of small animals from pet stores does not especially bother me . . . as long as they are well cared for.

Now my reptiles (which I guess count as small animals) are all from breeders. There is too much ignorance about their needs in almost any pet shop I've been in . . .
Old 01-14-2008, 06:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I am going to be completely honest here and probably get flamed.........but I just don't view mice, rats, birds, snakes (tiny pets) in the same way I view dogs/cats.

They live in a cage for most of their existence whether it's a mill, byb, or great breeder...........even after they have a good home, that's just how they are kept. So to me, cruelty issues just aren't the same caliber.
Despite the fact that I am terrified of birds, and don't particularly like snakes or rodents, I feel pretty much the opposite. I will never own an animal that needs to be caged for the majority of the day because I don't think it is fair. My horse goes in a stall at night, and my dog can be crated, but for a huge chunk of the day, they are in a relatively natural environment for them - outside, tons of space, etc. Maybe it's just because none of those pets appeal to me, but it just seems wrong.

I don't doubt for an instant that the many people here with those pets take spectacular care of them, and truly love them, but something about it just seems wrong to me.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:50 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
I think I see what Coop is trying to say though, that dogs and cats need more human interaction than most cage pets. A caged pet is usually content with some gentle love every day, good food and water, and a clean cage. Some are happier without the handling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotDobe View Post
I do understand what Coop is saying, but to see all the ones that don't make it to display is awful.
Yes, thank you RHD & RD.

After I read my post again this morning, I realized that I didn't really make it clear. I view these small pets to be just as important to people who love them as I do dogs, cats, horses......etc...

It's just that they will ALWAYS live in a cage, and therefore as long as they are clean, have food/water, and their habitat is clean at these places I don't see the cruelty in it (at least no more than they will ALWAYS have)

So YES........if a certain store had messy dirty cages, sickly looking animals, all genders mixed, then I would probably be disgusted and not shop there anymore.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:30 AM
Top Dog

I buy my gerbils from one pet store because it looks really good. they breed their own and never have tons of them. The breeding cage is up top in the show room with the light off and it says "do not disturb mother and babies" Even after they are weaned they will not sell them until they are of age (whatever that may be for gerbils) because the one on display I wanted last time she told me she was still too young. The cages are clean and they are not on pine or cedar bedding they look well fed. I myself think it's a pretty good place. Plus if I ever told my parents I wanted to get the gerbils from a breeder they would laugh in my face

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:32 AM
Squishy face

I don't buy any small animals from the pet store. I get my guinea pigs from the animal shelter. People are always getting tired of them and surrendering them there. My first guinea pig came from a pet store (a small no-name one that is no longer in existence) and she turned out to be pregnant. They offered to take the babies back, but we declined.

I've heard from a Petsmart employee that they have male and female designated stores, where certain stores get all male animals, and others all female animals. I don't know about Petco. I remember once a long time ago they had several large enclosures with a multitude of young guinea pigs, both sexes. And one that was almost dead. I heard somebody yelling at the employees about that one.

So yeah I never get my piggies from a store. Don't need to. And IMO anyone who wants a rabbit shouldn't need to go to a petstore either. The shelters are just as full of rabbits as they are of cats and dogs.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 01-14-2008, 09:46 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy'sParents View Post
How about a breeder?

With that mentality people think it's okay to buy cats and dogs from petstores, too.. and since they don't want to be inconvenienced to buy responsibly, they'll support stores that do... *shrugs* why not? there's a surplus of animals anyways...
I don't know if that was directed at me or not? But if it was, in a place like this, if I want to get say an african grey parrot, the closest breeder is probably about 400-500 kilometres away on a one-way trip. That is not a distance I'm willing to drive and take the parrot back in the car with me. I'd do it for a dog, but not for a small exotic animal that might not be able to tolerate long car travels in extreme heat or cold depending on season.

If it's feasible to buy from a breeder, then I do but in most cases when wanting an exotic or unusual pet where I live, it means driving a really long way. We simply don't have the same kind of pet overpopulation that exists in america or other big countries. I do see your point though and I agree it's better to get from a shelter or buy from good breeders if that is a possibility, but for me it's usually not a good option. At least no one here can get tempted into buying cats or dogs from pet stores because there are no pet stores that sell cats or dogs.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Oh, it's *you*

we buy our dog food at Petsmart which sells small animals. I don't have an issue with it. the feed store around here sells dog food in bags coated with an inch of dust. I would rather buy food that is fresh and from a place that has some standards in place as to it's handling.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 01-14-2008, 10:13 AM
CASSA

Our Fish expert and our bird expert have had CORP complaints made from custumers who they REFUSED to sell animals too even feeder mice..
I work at Petco- where many of the very animals are sold to employees who get too attached.
Ive adopted out a bunch of hamsters, and will be adopting out a Canary this month.
Yesterday we adopted out 14 Cats with a local group.
And raised Millions for xmas for unwanted animals.
We have many great custumers who are educated people who want the best for their pets be it lizard or dog.
But yes many uneducated ones.
In addition we host classrooms studies for local schools and disabled kids/adults as well.
We promote education and adoption and at least the pets can be returned to be adopted out. Where many breeders of all animals could care less once sold.

I think they have managed to stop the selling of large parrots that outlive their owners.

The biggest pet that I feel most can Not handle and should NOT be sold at Petcos is Ferrets.. Owning one bird or one lizard can help you become a better future owner of different varities of these animals.

But Ferrets are in a league of their own they live 7-10 years and no other animal be it hamster rat mouse can help you understand what they are.

Well any way my 2 cents..
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].