Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 01-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Top Dog

My family had a dog about 10 years ago who was certainly not in any athletic or competitive activities (this was before we knew any better) and she was chasing a tennis ball in the backyard when she tore her ACL. We opted not to do surgery, partially because of her age (she was 7, and a large-breed), but also because she had never been crate trained and she'd have to do crate rest. We figured that would be more stressful than living out the rest of her life with three good legs.

I also have a good friend whose chihuahua had luxating patella, which required surgery and crate rest. This was a genetic condition, he was not particularly active when it happened.

My point is, it doesn't matter how active you or your dog is, your dog could quite possibly need to go to crate rest at some point in his life.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
My family had a dog about 10 years ago who was certainly not in any athletic or competitive activities (this was before we knew any better) and she was chasing a tennis ball in the backyard when she tore her ACL. We opted not to do surgery, partially because of her age (she was 7, and a large-breed), but also because she had never been crate trained and she'd have to do crate rest. We figured that would be more stressful than living out the rest of her life with three good legs.

I also have a good friend whose chihuahua had luxating patella, which required surgery and crate rest. This was a genetic condition, he was not particularly active when it happened.

My point is, it doesn't matter how active you or your dog is, your dog could quite possibly need to go to crate rest at some point in his life.
I'm not saying at some point pet dogs don't get hurt. It's obvious that they will likely get hurt doing anything possible. BUT you don't NEED a crate to keep a dog down and from moving around a lot. It's not absolutely necesary. My point about the sports things is her dogs get hurt a lot more often then a pet dog would.

I've heard of very few cases with people around here needing to crate their dogs. Friends I've known, none. Not yet have had to ***CRATE*** their dogs. Not one. All have lived happy lives, some have gotten hurt and needed to lessen the activity. Which they did. Lucas, at one point, I had to keep him from moving much, no crate needed.

I'm NOT saying they aren't helpful, they are. If you can't keep your dog staying still without them, they are REALLY helpful. I'm just saying, don't act like crates are the ONLY method.

It does kinda bother me, how much everyone seems to think crates are the only way to do it right these days. I mean, what would we have done all those years before crates! What did people do with all the dogs that got sick and needed bed rest? needed confinement? hmm.....
Old 01-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Just try me..

Back before crates, farmers and working ppl often just shot dogs who were in such bad shape. It is really only in today's society where people spend such money on vet stuff. Really how do you keep a dog from moving at all, let a lone trying to get up on a couch, or do a stair or forgetting for a moment and running a step. Esp if you aren't home?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I'm comin back to this, just give me a day or two.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:56 AM
Uffda!

While I agree that consistent use of a crate isn't necessary, I have to agree with Dekka that it is in a dogs best interest to be introduced to a crate. If you would have asked me a year ago I would have said that it was very unlikely that my dog would end up swallowing a toy and needing it surgically removed and near impossible that he'd then have a reaction to the pain shots that required him to spend a MONTH in the vet hospital. Throughout that entire month he was kept in a crate sized cage. The fact is, sh*t happens sometimes and often when you least expect it. I'm glad that he was already comfortable with his crate sized cage because he had enough problems to deal with. The extra stress of being locked up in a kennel when he wasn't used to it probably wouldn't have helped his recovery. Granted, my experience isn't common and I'm glad of that. But introducing a dog to a crate really doesn't have any downsides. So I figure its worth it even though the absolute necessity of it is relatively slim.

"The great secret, Eliza, is not having bad manners or good manners or any other particular sort of manners, but having the same manner for all human souls: in short, behaving as if you were in Heaven, where there are no third-class carriages, and one soul is as good as another." George Bernard Shaw Pygmalion
Old 01-14-2008, 03:53 AM
and Fozzie B!

Crates are awesome. They really are. Both of my dogs love their crates (yes, LOVE). Fozzie refuses to sleep on any kind of dog bed, but he will choose his comfy crate over anything. Crates are convenient for life, in countless situations, and enable you to bring your dog many more places! Crates are useful for travelling, car rides in general, hotels, camping, any kind of dog sports including conformation, injuries, spay/neuter and other surgeries, feeding, fostering, unexpected guests, crazy parties (LAWLS)... and most of all, puppies!

Crates are essential in raising a puppy, for the typical owner, unless you plan on watching them like a hawk 24/7 for the first 6 months to 1 year (maybe even more) of their life. To discourage an owner of two sibling puppies not to use crates, is just insane. They keep your puppy SAFE. They relieve you of a LOT of stress and worry. No, a dog should not spend his "life" in a crate, but dogs learn to enjoy their down-time in their crate... and it is much safer than the risks of an unsupervised puppy. A puppy can literally find and ingest something harmful to them if you look away for an instant... they're sneaky little monsters! Not only do they keep your pups safe when you cannot be glued to them, they also keep your puppy from sneaking off and peeing when you cannot be glued to them.

There are so many pros to crate training - and absolutely no cons. Seriously. Name one. Thanks primarily to crating and diligence, Fozzie was house trained at 12 weeks and had one single accident in the house.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 01-14-2008, 04:04 AM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290 View Post
It does kinda bother me, how much everyone seems to think crates are the only way to do it right these days. I mean, what would we have done all those years before crates! What did people do with all the dogs that got sick and needed bed rest? needed confinement? hmm.....
Crates aren't the beginning and end of raising/training/owning dogs, of course! They aren't a necessity. But they ARE a big help to dog owners who cannot trust their dogs unsupervised. And they ARE actually a comfort to the dogs themselves.

Crates have actually been used for many, many years. My Mom crate trained her dogs... God knows how many years ago. And, not as much was really known about canine psychology 100's of years ago. A lot of dogs roamed around outside. For confinement, a lot of people chained or kept dogs caged. And, as Dekka said, only recently have advances in animal medicine been made; most people would put a dog down, who had a serious injury.

My "normal, household" dog has had injuries. Gonzo broke a toe last year, and had to be crated when I wasn't watching him, because he was totally stoic about his injury. He still wanted to play Frisbee, the day after. Crazy fool.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 01-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I'm not saying at some point pet dogs don't get hurt. It's obvious that they will likely get hurt doing anything possible. BUT you don't NEED a crate to keep a dog down and from moving around a lot. It's not absolutely necesary.
Ok, but my point is that it IS absolutely necessary for most of us to keep a dog from moving around a lot. I guess you could lock them in a closet or something, but even that would be too big for my chihuahua.

Quote:
I mean, what would we have done all those years before crates! What did people do with all the dogs that got sick and needed bed rest? needed confinement? hmm.....
Yes, many more dogs were euthanized when they got sick or hurt. Also, back even 20 or 30 years ago (when my parents were kids) dogs didn't live in houses, in general. The vast majority of dogs were "outside dogs," and even those who did live in the house were still probably outside when nobody was home. And more parents stayed home all day, so even if the dog was inside, someone was home to supervise.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Top Dog

I never crated any of my Goldens , but had a crate for my whelped pups to get them used to them for their future homes and to transport them to vet checks . Ollie was rehomed once before I got him ....after 2 weeks he was returned . Family worked and he wrecked the home when left alone . I really don't know who crate trained him , but I praise who ever did !!! He's usually with me wherever I go , but if I can't take him he's very happy in his huge cage , He knows when he can't come and will go into his kennel before I ask .....his favorite toys and a couple of cookies and he's a happy camper . Never barks and is usually laying down when I get home . Whether it's one hour or 5 hours .....

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/