Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-13-2008, 03:21 PM
totally normal

AARGH! I know!!

I watched a few minutes of it and it blew my mind! I get a tight feeling in my chest just thinking about that idiot!!

The one I saw had a completely untrained Malamute/Husky with a macho idiot owner that promoted rough play and bad behavior. The 'trainer' went through their house and came out with a prong collar, a baby gate and a bag of treats. He completely berated the owner and his girlfriend and said that the presence of those items indicated that the dog was out of control. He said treats and food rewards were useless.

One of the couple's main complaints was that their dog didn't have off-leash recall. The idiot 'trainer' said it was because their dog didn't respect them, NOT because he's a NORTHERN breed or anything..... He promoted slamming the dog to the ground and laying on him, a great way to destroy trust and lose your face at the same time.

My sister said she saw an episode where he told the dog owner to run around through bushes, puddles and over benches to convince the dog the HE was a dog, to improve pack structure and leader ship.
Get out the straight jacket!!

Erg, I'm all angry now. LOL!
Old 01-13-2008, 04:25 PM
just call me Nilly

I hate this show. I really do. I've seen some pretty disgusting things from this guy, including almost running over a pom with a lawnmower as he dragged it around the yard, and slamming a dogs head in a door as it wasn't following him closely enough.

I practically boycotted it for quite some time, until recently I'd heard a lot of people (family at christmas, etc.) talking quite positively about it, so I decided to give it another shot. I was able to watch ONE episode all the way through without being entirely disgusted, and I still thought the guy was a complete *ss.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 01-13-2008, 04:50 PM
coonhound crazy

I'm so glad we don't get this show down here! I had heard rumors about it and also rumors about that guy IRL from people on dog forums who live where he does (really, Alberta? I could have sworn it was somewhere else....but I may just be dense). *shudder*

I like Victoria Stilwell and I had a little It's Me or the Dog marathon on veoh.com on Friday because I don't have cable. She's not totally PR and she uses sound aversion more than I really think is necessary, but she's about a million times better than these two North American jackasses. She works with tiny dogs a bit, but the episode where she works with those two gigantor dane mixes with serious reactivity and dog-aggression issues was impressive. Hey, head collars who'da thunk?!? Some of the people on that show....they supposedly have had these problem dogs for months and years and they never once went to a pet store to see if there was some sort of tool or product that might be able to help them? The fact that those two danes were walked on body harnesses and flexi-leads was just HORRIFYING to me. It takes about 20 seconds of looking on the internet to come up with the information that that's not a good idea in the least. Sorry, I'm rambling.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:12 PM
ME+DOGS=CRAZY

I hate to admit this, but I use to see no problem in the ways CM trained..But boy..I wish I would slap myself for that! (oh..wait..I can..lol) After reading up on PR I totally understand why every hates his methods...I've never seen the show ur talking about, but I can tell that's probably a good thing..

I always hear people say stuff about CM like 'he's amazing' and 'The Dog Whisperer said..".. And I once tried to convince my mom he was no good and her excuse was "but it works, doesn't it" I kinda didn't know how to respond...XP I always know the facts, but when it comes to saying them..I just go blank..*sigh*