Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Top Dog

Question Carlie has some red, hairless spots...

She has two spots on her back left leg and one spot on her tail. The spots are reddish pink and are missing hair. I'm taking her in to the vet tomorrow because I'm not sure what they are. They're going to do an exam on her and then do a "skin scraping" and look at the skin cells under a microscope. I thought it was just from wrestling with Vixie, but I've seen them play and Vixie doesn't rip out Carlie's fur so it must be something else. We gave her 12mg of Benadryl last night and this morning thinking maybe that it's some sort of allergy, but we're not sure. Here is a picture where you can see one of the spots:

I'm at work so that's the only one I have right now (it's from a previous post), but I can post more pics later if need be.

Any ideas of what it could be? I hope it's nothing serious.. I'm not looking forward to the vet bill tomorrow since I'm taking them both in (I had already scheduled Vixie for her first exam there and they just added Carlie in). It's going to be fun taking them in together!
Old 01-11-2008, 04:53 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Hope it's nothing serious... could be mites or an allergy.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy'sParents View Post
Hope it's nothing serious... could be mites or an allergy.
It could be mites.. I didn't think about that.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Hope its nothing too serious, keep us updated
Old 01-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Dog Show Addict

I dont think it would be mites or she would have other areas affected first.

It could be allergic dermatitis, it could be irritant dermatitis, it could be alopecia, it could be that she was licking/chewing that spot as well could even be ringworm..

Is she hairless anywhere else? Does she itch it?

Unfortunately Benadryl type dugs only work in maybe 25***37; of dogs.. its usually a steriod that works best for allergy cases like Vanectyl P or Pred... Always worth a shot though!

Do you have any cortizone cream at home? If you do you might want to put a little bit on it to try and calm the reddness down in it.. make sure she doesn't lick/chew it while the cream is on though
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 01-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess2416 View Post
Hope its nothing too serious, keep us updated
Thanks. I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerRiot View Post
I dont think it would be mites or she would have other areas affected first.

It could be allergic dermatitis, it could be irritant dermatitis, it could be alopecia, it could be that she was licking/chewing that spot as well could even be ringworm..

Is she hairless anywhere else? Does she itch it?

Unfortunately Benadryl type dugs only work in maybe 25% of dogs.. its usually a steriod that works best for allergy cases like Vanectyl P or Pred... Always worth a shot though!

Do you have any cortizone cream at home? If you do you might want to put a little bit on it to try and calm the reddness down in it.. make sure she doesn't lick/chew it while the cream is on though
She's only hairless in 4 spots.. 2 small spots on her tail and 2 spots on one leg. I haven't seen her itch the spots at all which is weird because they sure look itchy to me. Maybe she's itching the spots when I'm not looking (like at night).

I don't have any cortizone cream otherwise I would try that...I tried Aveeno (a lotion with oatmeal in it) on one of the spots, but then I wasn't sure if I should keep putting it on it.

I just really want to know what it is. I'm so glad they had an opening for her at the vet tomorrow! Skin issues are not fun.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Dog Show Addict

Skin Issues are really one of the worst to treat.. they could be so many different things..
without a skin scrap or a very knowledgable vet..

Definately let us know what it is tomorrow!!
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 01-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Top Dog

Well, here is what we found out today! Carlie has Demodectic Mange. FUN. A positive thing about it, though, is that it's "localized demodicosis" which is the mildest form of it and Carlie can most likely completely recover from it. If you're not aware of what Demodectic Mange is, it is a skin disease caused by a microscopic parasitic mite (which I got to see in the microscope..pretty cool). These mites are found in the hair follicles of all dogs, but in some dogs (like Carlie) they proliferate and large numbers of them inhabit the skin and hair follicles. Luckily, this type of Mange cannot spread to any other dogs or people. We got a topical ointment to put on the spots daily and she also got some antibiotics to help clear it up faster. They should be gone in a few weeks and not come back. Hopefully. What I find strange is, how come she acquired this Mange right after we got Vixen? The vet said that dogs that get Mange get it because their immune system is weaker than other dogs. So, is Vixen stressing out Carlie and making her immune system weaker? Just wondering.

Does anyone else know more about this or have experienced it? I'm going to do some research on it because I'm curious as to what the chances are that this is going to be a recurring thing.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:25 PM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
The vet said that dogs that get Mange get it because their immune system is weaker than other dogs. So, is Vixen stressing out Carlie and making her immune system weaker? Just wondering.
Yes this is exactly it. How old is Carlie? This usually happens more often in younger dogs than older ones. Usually between 6 and 18 months. I wouldn't worry much about it as it will clear up on its own. When things settle back down in your house she should be fine.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:10 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlineACDs View Post
I wouldn't worry much about it as it will clear up on its own.
Um, no.

We went through demodex twice and the first time was really bad. The second we did a holistic approach and we've not seen them since. However, treatment is necessary and it can get worse.

Demodex can pop up when the dog is under stress- when their immune system is compromised. Buddy had a compromised immune system to begin with and the mites took a toll on him.

We've talked about this several times on the forum.. and we just had another member that had another case of it... you can search the forums for threads.

In addition, these are helpful:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/demodectic_mange.html

http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=729

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/mange1.html#Demodectic

Good luck with Carlie and if you prefer to go the holistic route, I'd talk to Mordy.