Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-11-2008, 08:23 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Many are of the opinion that DJD Gr 1 in Rottweilers can and is the result of normal wear and tear in the joints of active athletic dogs.

This ONLY includes DJD1 dogs, esp. those who are unilateral. IMO any dog with UAP, FCP, or OCD confirmed by radiograph in the elbow should not be used for breeding.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRTLover View Post
Does unilateral not mean environmental? Meaning injury caused?
Unilateral means "one sided." Based on that definition, and the fact that Red said Penny is unilateral left and the sire was unilateral left, I'm going to make an educated guess and say that unilateral means neither environmental, injury caused, or genetic... it simply means "on one side." Penny is unilateral ONLY on her left; the sire unilateral ONLY on the right.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-12-2008, 12:52 PM
BRTLover

So if a dog has one bad hip; is that dog still considered breeding quality?

Considered Healthy?

Or does it depend on how bad the rating for the one hip and the hips in the pedigree behind the dog?

I am not asking about a particular dog; I mean in general!
Old 01-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Crazy Dog!

The elbows are done individually. As in, they grade the right and left elbow separately. Hips are done together. If the dog had one hip out of socket and the other was fine it would still be graded as dysplastic.

They do not grade based on the dogs pedigree either. A dog is graded only by the x-ray that was sent in, not on health, medical history, nor pedigree.

There is lots of good info on OFA's website.
Hip Specific Link
Elbow Specific Link
Old 01-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Twin 2.0

The pedigree is helpful for determining what is behind your dog...say your dog is cleared Good, but has Fair to Poor heavily scattered throughout his pedigree. I personally probably would not breed that dog, unless I found a match that was just as heavy on the Good to Excellent gradings in her pedigree. Many people say that you are not really breeding "that" dog, you are breeding what's behind it. So even though your dog might have good hips, he could still throw dysplastic pups because of the high prevalence behind him. At least that's how I've come to understand it, but I am by far NOT a breeder; this is simply my opinion/understanding.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 01-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Just try me..

Zoom whether or not you are a breeder..that is exactly true, thats how the genetics seem to work. I believe these issues are caused/influenced by more than one gene (polygenetic)
Old 01-12-2008, 08:13 PM
BRTLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
The pedigree is helpful for determining what is behind your dog...say your dog is cleared Good, but has Fair to Poor heavily scattered throughout his pedigree. I personally probably would not breed that dog, unless I found a match that was just as heavy on the Good to Excellent gradings in her pedigree. Many people say that you are not really breeding "that" dog, you are breeding what's behind it. So even though your dog might have good hips, he could still throw dysplastic pups because of the high prevalence behind him. At least that's how I've come to understand it, but I am by far NOT a breeder; this is simply my opinion/understanding.
Thank you
This meant the most and I really understand what is being said in this post.

Sometimes I have a hard time understanding because English is not my first language and if not for the grammer/spell checker likely no one would be able to read my posts.

I appreciate the time you have taken to educate me and help me understand and learn!