Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Dog Show Addict

If Riots Xrays turned to that he had hip or elbow dysplasia - he would be neutered.

No use in breeding problem dogs into your breed. There are LOTs of other Lovely breed examples in his breed.

As it turns out - Riots OFA ratings were normal/Good.. hes now in the database if you do a search. His CERF will be there shortly (sometime early Summer) when they get done. I will be doing his Thyroid and sending it off to the OFA next time he gets bloodwork done as well.

Quote:
would you recommend that a person with a large breed puppy have them xrayed between 4 and say...10 mos. old to just see if there is a potential problem?
Honestly, I wouldn't do prelims unless it was suspected at a very young age, even then prelims sent to OFA may not be very useful, if you have a good Vet they can diagnose Dysplasia just as well.

I'm so sorry that your pup is hurting D... Its hard to watch I know. We recently had a 6 month old GSD pup come in for hip Xrays as she was swaying when she walked and it turns out she has mild Dysplasia.

Wishing you the best!
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 01-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Top Dog

Debi , I would go the OFA way too . You need to know for your peace of mind .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-10-2008, 11:13 AM

thanks..many times over..to those that truly helped. SummerRiot, Red, all...I appreciate the help and inspiration. if this thread goes into some kind of debate...cause some people love that ....then I'll PM those that have helped me if I have any further questions. you've been wonderful.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:15 AM
ĜȫƝ ₩īĿ

... so do we all have to stop learning now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaCato View Post
Good Question.

Sooo, what would the results tell you ? Do you care about the results? Or do you care about your Reputable Breeding ? Do you care about the "betterment for the breed" or do you care about personal gain ?

If a Bitch is Rated DJD1 would you breed to a dog with DJD1 ? Would you look for a Sire with DJD1 Rated diarthrodial on opposits to your Bitch ? Or would bite your lip and Spay your Bitch ?

If you do Breed a dame and sire DJD1 Rated dogs what is the rarefaction of the Progeny ?

Old 01-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Top Dog

Something interesting I heard- that if you have your dog put under for the xrays, they are relaxed so much that the hips will come out of joint more than if they are awake, and the results can be skewed.

I think that HD is both hereditary and environmental. If you have a dog that is predisposed to HD, and work him hard while he's growing, don't feed him right, he'd be more likely to get HD than the same dog who was allowed to mature in a more protected environment.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:33 AM
RedyreRottweilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaCato View Post
Actually, I think it would be nice to know and relating the OP's question. I'm sure someone has knowledge of this ...... I would like to learn.

My apologies to the OP.

No, Melissa Cato, you don't want to learn. You want to argue.

I knew it was only a matter of time before you came back to start more trouble.

This poster has a genuine concern for the welfare of her dog. So take your harrassment of me and my breeding choices and your trolling somewhere else, please.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:39 AM
RedyreRottweilers

DanL, I do agree on the anesthesia. I will never film another dog under anesthesia if there is any way to avoid it.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:14 PM

but Red...it is the best option for an xray of my interest...to have them sedated so that they do not move and it is as precise as can be, right? ok...little confession..I'm scared of anesthesia of any sort. so..it is the best way, right?
Old 01-10-2008, 12:17 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Debi, in your current situation where you feel there might be a problem, it is probably best. This way they will get good views. The sedation they use for films is light so you likely don't need to be really concerned.

I drive over 2 hours to the vet who does hips and elbows without anesthesia. Good luck finding out what is what with your guy.

I do have an ED+ girl. I use certain supplements in her, that really seem to have helped. If you would like more info about what I'm using on her, you can PM me.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Top Dog

Really depends on the dog .....some won't stay still enough for a good reading .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/