Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 01-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Active Pup

2 months i mean.. I got her from an owner whose dog had 'accidental babies'
Old 01-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Puddle Duck

When was she born? Maybe you could get her some toys and teach her what to chew on??

If I had words to make a day for you,
I'd sing a morning golden & true
I would make this day last for all time
then fill the night deep with moonshine
Old 01-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Top Dog

Please re-state ..... how old is the pup now and at what age did you get it . This can make a huge difference with your problem . I'm not blaming you , it all starts with the " breeder " ... an accident or planned !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Active Pup

She's a bit over 2 months now, I got her less than 3 weeks ago (that's about 7 weeks after she was born). Is this a bad thing? She seems fine other than the constant biting/occasional barking.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Top Dog

She was bit young to be leaving her mom and siblings, the minimum is 8 weeks and some breeders wait until 10-12 weeks. The problem with taking the pups so early is that they don't learn how to control their jaws, that is something they learn from playing with their siblings. They bite a sibling too hard the sibling squeals and the game usually ends. The teaches the dog how to control their jaws to keep the game going. You can teach this to your dog yourself it just takes longer since he is already behind. He not only has to learn how hard bites humans can handle but he must learn how to control the jaws in the first place.

I may have read your original thread wrong. Are you having problems with her chewing objects or biting you/people?

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 01-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
I may have read your original thread wrong. Are you having problems with her chewing objects or biting you/people?
Both, but I have more of a problem with her biting me. Sometimes she gets too excited and starts to bite my hand, and when I withdraw my hand she gets upset and barks
Old 01-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Top Dog

she has decided your hand is a fun toy. So basically when she bites get up and cross your arms and look up at the ceiling with your back facing her. If she won't let go of your hand when you try to get up then let out a high pitched sudden squeal or YOUCH! this is not meant to scold her but to get her attention long enough for you to get your hand. If she barks or whatever then just continue ignoring her so she learns that won't work on you. Then after a minute get back down with her, play with her with toys and pet her but remember as soon as she bites to get up and ignore.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!