Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Squishy face

From my point of view, pitbullforum.com is a bunch of pit bull owners who own them as PETS not working dogs, although there are some working dog owners on there. They promote responsible ownership and responsible breeding.

pitbull-chat is ok, there are some good debate threads, and most of the members on there seem cool, but there are a few members on there that seem to believe in rather harsh methods. I went back a few pages in the General forum and there was a post by some guy who beat the crap out of his dog for being food aggressive.

But there's all kinds on a forum, I guess.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Top Dog

Well i registered with both so I'll see which I like best or maybe I'll like both

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 01-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
Thanks you all!! I think I'll check out the one Mia and Renee posted. The biggest worry I have about joining an all breed forum is that I don't own one But that place sounds welcoming by your description. I am very much considering an APBT or Amstaff as my breed of choice when I can finally own dogs. I have actually started calling them "my breed" only to realize I don't and never have owned one lol. So I want to learn more, I have a lot of time to learn...12-13 years probably (that's so depressing) before my next dog *sigh*. Time to go register
Come on over!

Actually, getting involved with breed owners BEFORE you purchase/obtain a dog from that breed is the best thing you can do!
Old 01-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72947 View Post
From my point of view, pitbullforum.com is a bunch of pit bull owners who own them as PETS not working dogs, although there are some working dog owners on there. They promote responsible ownership and responsible breeding.

pitbull-chat is ok, there are some good debate threads, and most of the members on there seem cool, but there are a few members on there that seem to believe in rather harsh methods. I went back a few pages in the General forum and there was a post by some guy who beat the crap out of his dog for being food aggressive.
But there's all kinds on a forum, I guess.
I don't recall that post off the top of my head, but I can guarantee you that he would have been all alone in his thinking that that is how you "train" a dog.

Don't judge an entire forum based on a handful of idiots. If that were the case, I wouldn't have stayed here.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Dafuq?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
...nor would I recommend the UKC forum either as the dogs that forum glorifies are nowhere near the correct ADBA APBT standard.
If you are talking about the board linked in the original post, you are way off.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 01-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
I don't recall that post off the top of my head, but I can guarantee you that he would have been all alone in his thinking that that is how you "train" a dog.

Don't judge an entire forum based on a handful of idiots. If that were the case, I wouldn't have stayed here.
LMFAO! And I am very, very glad you stayed

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Dafuq?

To clarify, the board in the original post is owned by Scot Dowd, who bred all 3 of my dogs. It is populated by different kinds of people, but yes, there are a lot of UKC competitors there. The interests run the gamut, though, from agility to showing to weight pull, raw feeding, rescue, whatever. Its a more balanced forum than some, because there is no forced emphasis on rescue, although there are requirements if you're going to post about your breedings. We've got kind of a cool little photo contest, not unlike the one at Game-dog, and we've got a health forum that is moderated by a vet tech who gives some solid advice. There's a Brag forum, and a RIP forum. There are also games that become available after you've posted enough to earn the points.

Its not a high-volume forum like PBF or Game-dog or even this forum, but I think it makes up for it with quality members. They're just the strong, silent type. There is no glorification of overdone dogs, or emphasis on any one standard. Many of the show people who are on that board do both UKC and ADBA.

This is the APBT Network forum, which is what I'm talking about: http://www.ukcpitbull.com/pit2/index.php

This is the UKC board: http://forums.ukcdogs.com/

Old 01-07-2008, 07:23 PM
feel the magic

Wow. Maybe I'm reading and/or taking things wrong, but honestly I don't know what is wrong with rescuing, nor do I know what is wrong with responsibly purchasing a dog from responsible breeder.
I thought PBF was about as well balanced (for a heavily populated board) as it got.
Yeah they promote rescuing, alot, but it's not like it's downed (or at least I haven't seen it) if someone buys their dog from a responsible breeder. It's ALL appreciated there. At least as far as I knew.
I adopted Ella. I love her no less than someone who purchased his/her dog from a breeder. She may be a "PET BULL" (freakin' CHRIST, I hate that term), but I have a COMPLETE understanding of WHAT she is and WHO she is. I am fully aware of what her breed is/means. I know what she's capable of and I am VERY careful with her.
I am no less an owner just because she's a pet and not a weight pull dog, or a conformation/show dog.

No, she most likely doesn't meet the "standard" of the APBT, in fact if she's pure then she was POORLY bred, but she's beautiful. Dammit.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Dafuq?

Becca, maybe others are just more sensitive to it because they are on the "other side." But you know that if someone talks about buying a puppy, without fail, at least one person will say "why not rescue, instead?" And I see nothing wrong with illustrating the options that a person has, but many people just wont let it go. Add to that the bar against kennel links, even in profiles, but no bar against posting rescue links, Petfinder postings, etc. To add more, consider that people have been banned for buying from breeders that were considered less-than-reputable, even though there was some debate about what constituded reputable or not. And there are threads from time to time all about the evils of breeding. (Search "hate breeders" for a locked thread that was a real doozy, and part of the reason I stepped down as a mod.) Some on there feel that no breeding is acceptable.

I like PBF. I like it in spite of its shortcomings. After all, all boards have shortcomings. Its a really good forum, but the militant anti-breeder people do occasionally get out of hand. The moderation tries to keep things in hand, but -- and God love you guys, if you cruise by and read this -- the majority of them are also rescue people, and don't always notice how one-sided the forum feels. (And I am not trying to get myself banned, so I hope none of them sees this and takes it the wrong way. ) I felt like the odd man out when I was moderating. But maybe that's just me. I don't want to say too much, because I really consider the mods over there my friends, especially after seeing the amount of work and turmoil that is involved in moderating a forum like PBF.

PBF is a great forum. But it can be a bit overwhelming for those who are not "in the know" and who don't know to tread lightly on some subjects.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Dafuq?

I just realized I never answered the original question. (Oops.)

Here's a list of forums I visit. The main ones are at the top, tapering down into the ones I visit less, or just lurk on. I'll let you work out which ones you like.

http://www.ukcpitbull.com/pit2/index.php
http://www.pitbull-chat.com/
http://www.pitbullforum.com/index.php
http://www.game-dog.com/
http://www.pitbullcorner.com/phpBB/index.php
http://pitbulltalk.com/
http://s13.invisionfree.com/Gateway_APBT_Club/index.php
http://www.purebredpuppy.com/index.p...ace.com/index/