Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-24-2005, 10:01 AM
Top Dog

Oh, and a Chihuahua should have a well rounded, apple head. All this other terminology is just some back yard breeder dishing out a line of bull. There's a standard, as with any breed, and that's what the dog should meet.

http://www.ahkennel.net/standard.htm
Old 06-24-2005, 10:03 AM
Top Dog

Have to second what Doberluv said...I have had mixes myself, but the idea of breeding a mix on purpose is very irresponsible in my opinion. I can understand the allergy concept as far as service dogs, but I am sure purebred poodles could have done the service work without being mixed with something else. I just come from a different frame of mind I guess. I believe breed the best only to the best and the rest is history. If more people were MORE CAREFUL we would not have hundreds of dying dogs each day. Not everyone needs to or should breed their dog
Old 06-24-2005, 11:32 AM
Taco Dog

Roxy does have an appledome. Her snout is just a little long. And if anyone would care to read the "actual" standard of a Chihuahua and what the faults are, here it is... http://www.akc.org/breeds/chihuahua/index.cfm Roxy Mae fits this description perfectly.

Everyone thinks they know it all. I don't claim to, but I do know what I am getting myself into and I would not breed Roxy if she weren't a PERFECT example of her breed.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 06-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Felurian

Some of the better Fila breeders actually find that two 'perfect' examples don't give the best pups. Often, at least with Filas, you get a much better litter of pups if you take two dogs who may have some extreme characteristics on opposite ends of the scale to achieve balanced pups. You may get one or two that have more of one parent's characteristics than the other, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, as different owners are often looking for an emphasis on a particular breed characteristic.

I would think, if Roxy Mae's snoot is a little long, you can look at sires who might have snouts that are a little on the short side, assuming there aren't any health issues that follow the shorter snouted Chihuahuas.

I think you've got a good plan mapped out, Pro, and working right there with a vet certainly is a plus! Grammy (Bubbatd) and Pits are great resources, too. Both have so much experience with breeding ethically and successfully. I know I'm going to be depending on them a great deal with it's time for Shiva and Kharma to have a litter - although I'm dreading it! Charley's choice. If it were my call, I would consider a litter out of Kharma, but not Shiva, as Kharma is a classic working Fila and is a beautiful example of a Fila from, among others, the Jaguara line. I love Shiva, and she's a beautiful creature, but the show line on her father's side has diluted her temperament and her body type isn't as correct as Kharma's. But Charley prefers Shiva.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-24-2005, 12:21 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Roxy Mae is definetely not pocket Chi! She is a healthy 6 pounds. And yes, she is a shorthair. I prefer them. She is a deerhead. She still has the rounded off forehead, but her snout is a little longer.
Quote:
Roxy does have an appledome. Her snout is just a little long
I think the only reason you're catching further flack on the standard issue is that you're confusing people with different statements. It sounds like you are set on breeding your dog and are willing to take the financial and personal risks of breeding, so good luck.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:47 PM
Top Dog

No dog is perfect, not even top show dogs. What you look for when you breed is what Renee said...when your dog is weak in an area you find a stud that is strong in that area and hope for balance in the puppies. We can not assume our dogs are perfect. In fact, it's better to fully acknowledge where they are weak so we can properly seek out the appropriate stud. To me, breeding dogs is a fine art. All breeders strive for perfection, but few top breeders ever achieve it. Someday I will breed a litter, but only with dogs that I have shown to their championship in conformation...and that is just the beginning. There will be a whole array of other factors that will help me in my final decision to breed or not to breed.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Top Dog

Since Roxy's only 9 months old, she's got a few months to go before she reaches maturity . Then you can decide if she's worthy of breeding...You wouldn't want to breed her until she's about 2 , so you have time to talk to other Chi breeders for their advise.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Playful Husky Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramount
I think the only reason you're catching further flack on the standard issue is that you're confusing people with different statements. It sounds like you are set on breeding your dog and are willing to take the financial and personal risks of breeding, so good luck.
You obviousely do not know Pro too well I am a breeder myself and i very responsible professional breeder and everything she has said i have found fine.She does know what she's doing and I doubt she would take those risks she loves her dogs far to much! i know this just from knowing her from the forums. Anyways just saying what I know

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 06-24-2005, 01:54 PM
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv
It doesn't make ANY sense to breed mixed breeds or purebreds that don't exemplify the standard of the breed or meet genetic health and other tests. There are plenty of mixed breeds already stacked up in shelters who are being killed for a lack of a family to love and care for them. It's deplorable to purposely breed mixed breed dogs.
In general I agree, but I think that the show world has colored the conversation. Even non-doggy people now believe it's wrong to breed mutts and the idea that only show-worthy purebreds should be mated is catching on. But the breed clubs that do so much rescue work operate under a self-serving assumption that the AKC standards are worthy, and I disagree. Some breed issues - the disfiguring faces of English Bulldogs and the impossible coats of American Cockers being obvious examples - make me wonder if the show world is even sane. They're producing pet puppies by the millions every year, along with their show puppies, and the same standards that they're breeding for are in many cases making the dogs harder to care for and own. Don't they have any responsibility to consider that issue? More to the point, doesn't their registry? The AKC spent years popularizing the ownership of purebred dogs, selling the idea of what an advantage it would be to know exactly what you were getting with a puppy, and now they claim they're just a registry, no blood on their hands?
Old 06-24-2005, 02:02 PM
Felurian

One of the reasons some of us don't want our breeds affiliated with the AKC!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian