Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-22-2005, 04:54 PM
Taco Dog

Default I'm Going to Breed Roxy Mae

I have decided. She is going to be bred. I will find her a mate that is suitable in the terms of health and temperament and I am going to let her have one litter. After that, she will be fixed. I have had her health tested and I have homes for her pups. This is a little while off since she is only 9 months old, but just letting everyone know. there will be little Roxys running around!

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 06-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

What made you decide to breed her? What health screens did you have done? I know hip OFA's can't be done until at least 18 months of age
Old 06-22-2005, 05:17 PM
no touchy

Ditto to showpug. And I'll add one that I'm wondering...is she show/breeding quality?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:26 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

we never bred a dog at the kennels that was younger then 2 yrs.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 06-22-2005, 06:14 PM
Top Dog

Okay...so I am really not trying to be a pest, but I just want to put my opinion in on breeding and you can take it or leave it! I am a firm believer that dogs should only be bred if #1 they are a good representation of their breed in both temperment and confirmation and #2 if they pass all their health screens i.e. hip certification, eye certification, patellas, elbows...the list goes on. AND #3 if by breeding this dog, the future of the breed is improved. I don't think it is up to us as biased owners to decide if our dog is a good representation of their breed. This needs to be done under a judge in the show ring or by a long term ethical show breeder, or by someone who knows the breed better than ourseleves. The whole point behind conformation dog showing is to evaluate dogs for breeding. I take breeding VERY seriously and if I remember correctly, the dog you want to breed is a chihuahua. These are so overbred right now it's scary. Not to mention that they usually have whelping difficulties and they don't always make great mothers. I saw quite a few in for c-sections during my vet clinic days and I even saw one die from having pups. I know you love your dogs, and I don't know the whole story behind you, your dog, or why you want to breed. I just want you to make a responsible and educated decision. There is a lot more that goes in to deciding if a dog should be bred that having homes for the puppies and a vet exam. Plus, no ***** should be bred until at least 2 years....this is kind of early for these people to agree to take puppies. Good luck
Old 06-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Taco Dog

Well I never said this was in the near future and she has had her pre-screen by my boss, a vet. I will get her further genetic testing in the future, but as of right now, she will be bred sometime way later. She is of show quality. She has been confirmed as being show quality, etc. But I have a question, how come no one asked Love4pits these questions?? Everyone just told her how great it was. Nothing at all against L4P, but no one seems too concerned when she has puppies.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 06-22-2005, 06:23 PM
Top Dog

What traits will you be breeding for?

Last edited by EliNHunter; 06-22-2005 at 06:52 PM.
Top Dog

Most breeders will not sell a "show quality" dog to just anyone. Most go out on a show contract stating that you have to show her to her championship and absolutley no breeding until then. If a "show quality" dog goes to a pet home then they go on spay/neuter contract. If she came from a show breeder then they would want a say in who she is bred to etc. Just make sure she is REALLY show quality and breeding quality. There are a lot of champion show dogs that people decide not to breed for a lot of different reasons. I would suggest you buy the book "Breeding a Litter" and read it front to cover. It will help you with this decision.
Top Dog

Love4Pits has been breeding for a while, and I think eveyone already knows she does alll the testing and does it for the good of breeds and all those other questions. She has probably already answered them before.

Anyways I hope you do all the tests and your pups turn out good.
you never would have died.

In life I loved you dearly,
In death I love you still.
In my heart you hold a place
no one could ever fill."

RIP Chief.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Don't encourage me..

I think we may have been a bit hasty to put Pro47 down here guys! I think everyone deserves a chance to explain themselves!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch