Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 01-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Top Dog

Default On titles and codes of ethics

Interesting read....

http://lassiegethelp.blogspot.com/20...cs-or-how.html

Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Henry Wheeler Shaw
Old 01-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

That one is interesting . . . and in principle, I agree . . . i certainly agree with people not writing laws about things they know nothing about. However, though i agree in principle with breeding rock solid, great temperment dogs for pet homes . . . errr . . . just how would this is any way be managed? And besides, the public has to WANT fantastic dogs, regardless of pedigree first. In principle agree, in practice . . . ugh, it would never fly.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Walks into Mordor

Interesting, but I don't agree with many of the points. Most of it sounds like the typical ranting of some working dog people, trying to make show titles seems worthless.

There are a few things I do agree with. For example, if the AKC herding instinct test is really that simple (I don't know if it is, never seen it myself), I do agree that it's ridiculously easy.

But I DON'T agree that titles are just worthless scraps of papers, or that modern show "herding group" don't have any herding instinct whatsoever.

There is one basic flaw I see in these types of hardcore working-dog people. They are single-handedly attempting to push their breeds to extinction. Seriously. How many people *need* their dogs to herd? Or haul loads? Guard livestock? Hunt boar? And as the world and technology changes, these needs will get fewer and fewer. If a breed wants to keep its existance as times change, it needs to adapt. It needs to rely on its other qualities, not just its original working purpose.

I know my view is an unpopular one. But if EVERYONE got their dog just to serve its original purpose and be genuinely useful, almost all of us would be owning toy breeds. I see nothing wrong with certain lines that have become "soft" enough to live in modern society as pets.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress View Post
Interesting, but I don't agree with many of the points. Most of it sounds like the typical ranting of some working dog people, trying to make show titles seems worthless.

There are a few things I do agree with. For example, if the AKC herding instinct test is really that simple (I don't know if it is, never seen it myself), I do agree that it's ridiculously easy.

But I DON'T agree that titles are just worthless scraps of papers, or that modern show "herding group" don't have any herding instinct whatsoever.

There is one basic flaw I see in these types of hardcore working-dog people. They are single-handedly attempting to push their breeds to extinction. Seriously. How many people *need* their dogs to herd? Or haul loads? Guard livestock? Hunt boar? And as the world and technology changes, these needs will get fewer and fewer. If a breed wants to keep its existance as times change, it needs to adapt. It needs to rely on its other qualities, not just its original working purpose.

I know my view is an unpopular one. But if EVERYONE got their dog just to serve its original purpose and be genuinely useful, almost all of us would be owning toy breeds. I see nothing wrong with certain lines that have become "soft" enough to live in modern society as pets.
Well, yes, I do agree with that point. On the other hand, the current alternative, if you want to breed "legitimately" is breeding for conformation . . . which would be fine, except that soooo many of the conformation breed dogs are bred exclusively for their appearence. There's really no place, currently, for breeding dogs to be, primarily, pets. Or there is, but its the BYBs and the mills, and we won't even discuss that.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Oh, it's *you*

Exactly I refuse to believe ALL the Corgi's, Collie's, Shelties surrendered to shelters because they "nip heels" or "chase cars" etc are from "hardcore working lines" No..they are from BYB's and show lines and working lines ALL...and guess what? the instincts remain..to torment or delight the owner.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 01-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Just try me..

I did like the article. I know so many dogs with no herding instinct that have their HICs. I agree its nice to have something to show the instinct is still there, but the bar is set waaayyy to low. I think the conformation ring (I don't care who's fault it is, ie the breeders, kennel clubs etc) has ruined so many breeds, I have met my fair share of dogs with ch. in front of their names that are so far off what the original was, or were so messed up tempermentally, etc. I do think titles are good, just not as the sole method of judging the dog. If I met a dog with an OTCH, a ch. a working title or 2 and a MACH (or equiv) I would be highly impressed. The dog would likely have to have a good tempement and good structure to achieve this. One title venue alone means not a lot to me.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Oh, it's *you*

It's always amusing to me that the "show breeder" who statistically breeds the LEAST number of animals of a given breed yearly...is always the ONLY source mentioned when one talks about the dumbing down or bad health, of a breed.

It's not the BYB's or the Mill folks...and god forbid it's the working folks.

We breed the least....under the most restriction and glaring from the public...yet we are capable of ruining entire breeds. Yyyeah.

I place my puppies...and I see newspaper ads for Beagle pups from some BS registry for $75-150...yet *I* am responsible for overpopulation, health issues, dumb issues, etc. Where do you think the parents of these $75 pups came from, I wonder...what pedigrees do they go back to? I have seen a few pedigrees and I can say...it ain't who gets most of the blame. *eyeroll*

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 01-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundedByHounds View Post
It's always amusing to me that the "show breeder" who statistically breeds the LEAST number of animals of a given breed yearly...is always the ONLY source mentioned when one talks about the dumbing down or bad health, of a breed.

We breed the least....under the most restriction and glaring from the public...yet we are capable of ruining entire breeds. Yyyeah.

I place my puppies...and I see newspaper ads for Beagle pups from some BS registry for $75-150...yet *I* am responsible for overpopulation, health issues, dumb issues, etc. Where do you think the parents of these $75 pups came from, I wonder...what pedigrees do they go back to? I have seen a few pedigrees and I can say...it ain't who gets most of the blame. *eyeroll*
You personally? No. Conformation breeders? Yes, or, sort of. There's no doubt that mills and BYBs are worse than show breeders by a mile. A completely defective dog can not be shown in the ring. A dog way off the standard can not be shown in the ring. A dog that is unmanagable can not be shown. So, conformation breeders are not the worse offenders. Nor are they responsible for the over population problem. In fact, many conformation breeders I know turn out wonderful dogs.

But the fact remains that there are many who breed exclusively for appearence, with just enough attention to other factors that their dogs can be shown in the ring. That in many cases breeds have been distorted almost beyond recognition (think English Bulldogs) or have had health problems exacerbated by inbreeding. In some cases, as well, the breed clubs or the standard seem to conspire to damage the breed. One glaring example is the merles other than blue rule with Cardigan corgis, which has fragmented the gene pool of an already rare breed. Great thinking folks.

But you are completely right . . . conformation breeders are not the worst offenders, and many are not offenders at all. But there are more than a few who contribute to the problem, if only by breeding for the 'fads' in a breed's appearence and by placing looks above all else.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundedByHounds View Post

I don't think anyone was pointing fingers.. (I breed too) BUT I do know of some breeders in my breed (thinking of one in particular) who produces HUGE numbers of puppies a year, and IMO while her dogs to well in the conformation ring, they are not good representatives of the breed and there are a fair number of health issues in the lines she breeds.

And look at the fox terrier, conformationally it would no longer fit down a fox hole. Maybe in some people's minds thats fine. To me that is ruining the breed. I have met stunning looking ch. BC who couldn't herd to save their lives..how is that in the best interest of preserving the breed? Need I mention the GSD? in one of the threads on this forum someone showed an old photo of a very nice dog and asked do they ever get breed like that anymore..the response was interesting. I lost a lot of respect for the show ring when I saw the fattest, heaviest lab win at Westminster. There is no way that dog could handle a day in the field.... these things are not being done by byb and millers.

Of course miller and BYB breeders are bad. That is a given, and really is only peripheral to the issue at hand. No one imagines they have a breeding 'plan' or have the best interests of the dogs in mind.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Morgan comes from the top lines in her breed ~ on both sides of her pedigree. She has a list of health problems a mile long. I have no doubt that those problems are coming from the line that she's inbred on. But no one who is breeding that line or who bred some of her ancestors even want to discuss it. These lines prodice some great workers and some beautiful corgis. But that's not really helpful when she has a hormone imbalance, a heart murmur ~ because her heart is too big, a history of pancreatic problems, hips that are loose, and knees that luxate.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team