Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-02-2008, 09:38 PM
just call me Nilly

Default Odd behaviour... help!

I need some help from long-time dog owners here, I feel like I have a baby who won't stop crying and I can't figure out why.

Sierra has been acting very odd this evening. She keeps going into her crate, lying down (but not sleeping) and randomly pawing at the bars whining/yelping (occasionally she'll let out an actual bark, but she knows she isn't supposed to bark inside, so she's mostly keeping it to whining). When she comes out of her crate, she paces around the apartment a bit, following us whenever we move, pawing at us.

The crate behaviour is most definatley the oddest of all of this. She hardly ever chooses to go into her crate on her own, add the whining to this and I'm just confused.

I've tried everything. She doesn't want to play, she doesn't have to go out (we did, she peed and pooped and that didn't stop the behaviour when we came back in), she isn't hungry (I fed her at normal dinner time), she had a big play today so she shouldn't have any unusual pent-up energy (but she doesn't want to play now, which she usually does if she's just wound up).

I DON'T GET IT!!!!

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 01-02-2008, 09:41 PM
and Spy.

Maybe she's feeling off?

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Are you sure she isn't sick in some way? Did she hurt herself during her play day maybe?
Old 01-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tucker&Me~ View Post
Maybe she's feeling off?

~Tucker
agreed, thats what I was going to say, or at least maybe to her something seems off..
Old 01-02-2008, 09:43 PM
just call me Nilly

No she doesn't seem to be acting ill or hurt... she's not really mopey. It's hard to describe. It's like she's... antsy and just will NOT settle.

Edit: can dogs have anxiety attacks? That's what it most seems like to me... like she's really anxious about something.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 01-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Top Dog

I'm new to the forum so I don't know much about Sierra. Is she spayed?
Old 01-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Top Dog

I'd say she's hurting somewhere .....mentally or physically . Has anything changed ???

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

If she isn't sick, then maybe something about her environment changed? Or are one of you guys sick?

I think sometimes things change we don't notice, but our dogs pick up on and that can make them really nervous.

I'd say if she isn't better by tomorrow think of taking her to a vet to get her a quick check up, just to be sure.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:48 PM
just call me Nilly

Yup, she's spayed. Just for the record, since you're probably not the only one who needs more background: She's a relatively recent addition for us. We adopted her at the end of October. She's almost 11 months old, and just recently started to settle into our house. This behaviour is unlike anything she's ever shown before around us.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:50 PM
just call me Nilly

Hmmm... the only "new" thing she experienced today was some time spent with a friend of mine who's VERY pregnant (due in 2 weeks, but feels like she's going to go early).

I'll defiantley keep an eye on her, and take her to the vet if there are any further problems...