Please Keep Lilly in Your Thoughts

StillandSilent

Lilly just got back from the vet. As some of you may know, she has had cancer for the past 6 years. It started with a tumor on her nose that we had removed on September 11, 2001. Tests showed she had a spindle fiber tumor.
It came back in 2005 and was removed again. It came back a few months ago for a third time. Just a few weeks ago, I noticed another, smaller tumor on her nose, almost touching the black part. So back to the vet we went.
He examined her and tells us we basically have two choices:
1) We can remove both tumors ($600-$700). The smaller tumor will need a drain and she will likely be in an E-collar for 3-4 weeks.
2) We can do nothing, and play it by ear.
If the tumor is going to be removed, he wants it done within the next month. There is no guarentee that removing the tumor will extend her life, and chances are virtually nil that the entire cancer will be removed. If we do remove it, it will likely come back within the next year.
If we don't remove it, it could grow to the point where it splits her skin open. This isn't very likely, considering it's growing so slowly now, but if it does, it will be a huge mess.
Our family has some difficult decisions to make in the next week or so. Lilly is 11 years old, and I hate the thought of putting her under for an unessecery procedure. On the other hand, I don't want to do nothing and then wish I had in a few months.
Please pray for her and hope that whatever decision we make is the right one for her.

While you are considering, please get her some Essiac tea and give her 1/4 cup two or three times a day. I've seen it do some amazing things with tumors - cancerous or otherwise.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
Sending you good thoughts and prayers--I hope you are able to make the best decision for you and Lilly.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I'm so sorry you have to make this kind of decision. Lilly and your family are in my thoughts.

bubbatd

I can't advise ,but will send good vibes that you choose what is best for the both of you . You've done well by her so far . Whatever will keep her with you the longest without her suffering . Hugs and pats to you both .

naturesgift

Mo Wildlife Rehabber
I will be keeping yu and Lily in my prayers. *hugs* to you. and doggie hugs to Lily.

joce

We are going through this with my older beagle right now who is fifteen. Difference is we just had hers removed for 80$ so it wasn't that hard of a decision. If it comes back we'll probably get it off again but honestly if it cost that much we probably would not have in the first place since there is such a big chance of it coming back. Not to mention I question my girl going under for surgery again.

Hers was about dime sized and stayed that way for about two months so we were just going to leave it but then her head swelled from what we think must have been an infection in the area around the tumor. She went on antibiotics and it went down and we got it out.

If its not growing then let her be if you question putting her under. then if it starts to grow you can always do the surgery then. Whatever you decide I'll be thinking of your pup.

Members online

No members online now.