Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-21-2005, 01:11 AM
Big German Shepherd

Default What Do Yoooouu Do?

To drain your dog's energy? I was wondering cause I can't think of anything. I don't think tug o war is good now cause he still nips and I don't want to encourage rough play.

He doesn't like to go for walks, he'll stop in the middle of our walks and it's such a hassle. You have no idea how much I wish he was one of those dogs that pulled and actually moved... he does that on our way back to the house. He practically runs.

So what do you do? I play fetch n' stuff but he gets bored.

Give me something that doesn't require so much... like I don't want to have to teach him roll over and jump in the air and do a 360, to play a certain game... etc.

Although, I will eventually!

But something easy to do and energy draining... thanks!
Old 06-21-2005, 01:22 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Victor says BUbbles!!!!! It was the only way i keep my sanity! by jumping after every last one it helps wear him out in a way that walking with me would never do..i just couldn't walk the miles he needs to burn up his excessive energy. The flashlight at night helps as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg victorbubblesfloat copyjpg.jpg (23.2 KB, 1 views)

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 06-21-2005, 01:29 AM
Top Dog

Very nice picture Smkie
Old 06-21-2005, 01:40 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Thanks Richie, we go thru the big jug about once every a month.Victor thinks that 7 pm is bubble time...and will not settle down til someone takes him out for his favorite sport.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 06-21-2005, 08:22 AM
Love my pets

My hubby built a flirt pole for Kona to chase after. Took a piece of PVC and ran a long piece of rope through it. Tie at one end so rope can't slip through, and the on the other end tie a knot also but leave 4 or 5 feet of rope hanging off for the dog to chase. You hold the end of the pole and have the dog chase the end of the rope; you can tie a ball or something to the end of the rope for the dog to go after. This tires my dogs out and they love it. Even Max chases it. Sometimes they are quick and grab the part near the PVC instead of the piece hanging. Here's a pic:

Old 06-21-2005, 08:30 AM
Top Dog

It seems to me that it's often hard to put a puppy in the mood to play, lol. Boris would just hang out with me all day and doesn't want to play fetch with me much either (he looks at the thing I throw up then at me, like, 'why did you throw that for?'), but when my husband comes back he's all excited and will play fetch with him for one hour. Go figure. I guess it's mostly a problem of timing.

For the walks, don't give up. It just takes a while to sink in, bring some treats and when he stops like that tell him to come to you and give him a treat, eventually he should keep moving. Walks are just wonderful for socialization, and a good way of excercizing the dogs and us

Bubbles sound great lol. I need to try that
Old 06-21-2005, 08:50 AM
Top Dog

I'll have to try the bubbles too. Gracie loves to go out at night to chase lightening bugs. Sometimes I turn on the sprinkler or just spray water for her to chase the water. She loves doing that. Or take her to the unfarmed field so she can jump around in the tall grass. She thinks that fun. I'm thinking about taking her to the lake to let her play.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:52 AM
Felurian

A puzzle ball with treats in it can be a good way to wear them down, plus it works their little noggins too, figuring out how to get the goodies to come out!

Just don't do what I did. I let Bimmer see me putting the treats in. That's all it took. He just worked the plug out after that

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-21-2005, 09:11 AM
Top Dog

I would try joining a puppy play class for socialization. The fact that your pup does not like going for walks indicates a little fear issue to me. Other puppies can drain a lot of energy out of your pup, they learn bite inhibitation and social skills. It's also a great way for you to meet new people and learn a lot about your pup.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:12 AM
Playful Husky Pup

Well you know what I do . But when not doing runs my dogs looooooove balloons!!! I buy a bag real cheap at the party store a few times a month completely wind myself blowing them all up and toss them in the field. The dogs go nuts!!!! Even Tundra gets in on the mess they pop them off course but when their done their all worn out laying down panting lol.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie