Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 01-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Kotah BEAR

Default Boston Terrier Breeders

Well I got the OK to put up breeders websites and ask yalls opinion on them.
I'm looking getting a BT puppy, hence the title. But I got to find a good, responsible breeder first and I would like everyones help on here to help me find that "perfect" breeder.

Here is my first choice:
purecountrypuppies.com

I would like a puppy, I don't have any certain time I would like to get a puppy. But I am going to buy him myself.
I would like yall to let me know what YOU think of these breeders.
Thanks
Old 01-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Top Dog

I am going to start by saying it's great that you are researching breeders before jumping into buying a puppy.

I must say however, that the breeder you listed is FAR from a reputable breeder. Their site and mission seems to just be to simply, sell puppies. The site is geared towards advertising and selling the pups. They don't compete with their dogs from what I could tell and I saw nothing on health testing.

A good breeder will usually:

Show their dogs in conformation or compete in some form of dog sport
Health test breeding stock through CERF and OFA etc.
Be an active member in good standing with their national/local breed clubs
Not have a website geared towards selling puppies
Keep one of their puppies from each litter for themselves
Breed very few litters per year. Usually 1-2 litters max
Have a clear understanding of their breed standard
Be able to tell you their goals for each breeding
not own both parents

I would recommend you visit the Boston Terrier Club of America and start your breeder search there -

http://www.bostonterrierclubofamerica.org/
Old 01-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Kotah BEAR

wow thanks for the info!
Old 01-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Kotah BEAR

I emailed about breeders in the Georgia, Alabama, Tenn., and South Carolina area. The person you email gave me a list of breeders and their phone numbers, but no websites.
So do I just call them? There is like 10-12 breeders registered with the Boston Terrier Club of America.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Top Dog

Yes, you just give them a call.

Also, here are some others I found. I didn't look too closely, so you'll have to really investigate to see if they are what you are looking for, but it's something to get you started. I have no clue as to how reputable they are and didn't have time to check them out...

http://hometown.aol.com/albosallen/albosallen.html

http://lumberjacksbostons.homestead.com/Dogs.html

http://lyndannsbostons.com/index.html

http://circlejkennels.homestead.com/Index.html
Old 01-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Bored Now.

Circlej looks okay.. they do CERF and patellas and their dogs at least attain a Ch before breeding, it looks like. They do seem to have a lot of emphasis on their puppies, though. And they've rehomed at least 4 older dogs in the past year, two of them were females who have had litters.

Just throwing some thoughts out there for you.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Kotah BEAR

Thanks Showpug for the websites.

I contacted the breeder on the last website. I looked up questions to ask breeders and I asked her some of those and a couple of my own questions.
Hopefully she'll reply back soon.
Thanks again showpug and i'll keep yall updated on my search for the "perfect" breeder.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:32 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
Circlej looks okay.. they do CERF and patellas and their dogs at least attain a Ch before breeding, it looks like. They do seem to have a lot of emphasis on their puppies, though. And they've rehomed at least 4 older dogs in the past year, two of them were females who have had litters.

Just throwing some thoughts out there for you.
I won't defend any of these breeders because I know nothing about them, but I did want to say that there is nothing wrong with rehoming dogs IMO. Breeders can't keep hundreds of dogs in their house. If a dog doesn't turn out or if it is retired it is pretty normal/common for reputable breeders to rehome the dogs. It actually shows me that instead of "collecting" dogs, they are making sure the dog gets a loving home instead of housing more dogs then they can handle and care for. Sometimes, breeders keep a puppy and 10 months later it doesn't turn out to be what they thought it would be or develops a fault that they don't want to take into the ring or introduce into their breeding program. In these cases, it is only right to rehome the dog into a loving environment. I know many, many reputable breeders that rehome dogs and it really is for the better interest of the animal.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Bored Now.

I don't have a problem with rehoming on most circumstances. (When it comes to the point that they are getting rid of loads of them.. yes, I have a problem. To me it then says the main focus is on breeding and not the dogs.) As I said.. I am just throwing it out there. I don't know what Dakotah's requirements for a breeder are or if she has a problem with that. With having four older dogs in the past year being rehomed, I'd certainly want to look into it a little further, but I wouldn't write them off my list. There are probably many factors that went into those dogs all needing homes at this particular time, and I doubt they're rehoming four or five dogs a year.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't have a problem with it in most cases, as it's usually in the dog's (and future owners) best interests. Some people do have a problem with it.. so, as I said, I figured I'd throw it out there.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Kotah BEAR

Well I emailed the breeder a Circle J and she emailed me back this morning and gave me her number to call her this afternoon or tomorrow. She likes to talk to the people who might be getting a puppy from her which is a BIG plus for me since most breeders I've come in contact with just want to email back and forth.
After I call her I'll let yall know how it goes. But I might call her tomorrow, since I might have to go to the doctor today and go run errands with my dad, so you guys have to wait. Sorry haha.

Showpug, My mom is interested in Pugs and wanted me to find out some stuff about them. So since you raise them, would you please tell me some stuff about them?
Thanks