Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-28-2007, 02:27 PM
We are Home.

Default Crate, Necessary or Not

Should I get a crate for Walker when the baby comes home? My mom says no but I keep thinking maybe I should. Have any new moms noticed their dogs wanting to be in their crate more?

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 12-28-2007, 02:32 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Well Beezer and Belles crates are in the basement (that is where they go when we go out... there is just no room upstairs for the crates) So they don't really have a chance to go hang in their crates but I really didn't notice any change in the dogs after bringing Hannah home.... they still sleep in the SAME places on the couches that they have always slept... Belle sleeps on the big couch and Beezer sleeps on the loveseat lol. They love Hannah and don't really want to be away from her.... of course she isn't walking and bothering them yet I even catch beezer sleeping in front of her crib every once in a while during the night.

but no I haven't noticed that they have wanted to get down to their crates ... they like every chance they get to go into the basement but they never spend any of that time in their crates... they just love to run around down there.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 12-28-2007, 02:34 PM
We are Home.

Ok thanks. I wasnt sure. But wanted to see what others have been going through because I have to get my dad to buy me a crate for Xmas if I need one LOL.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:10 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I never needed a crate for any reason. How well does walker mind you?

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 12-28-2007, 03:16 PM
We are Home.

Walker minds great and loves babies. But when he had a crate he loved it and I figured with the change he might want it back.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:41 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

all dogs should have a place to get away from a toddler, whatever makes them the most comfortable i guess. SCamper my little dog i had when mom babysat went under the piano. Where Children were not aloud.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

Old 12-28-2007, 03:52 PM
We are Home.

I dont have anything like that in my room and since we are all going to be in my room i figured a crate might help but i really dont want to put one up unless i have to LOL its going to be cramped enough. Do you think the bed would be high enough once the little one can start getting around?

Old 12-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Big Dog

i don't think it is an issue of the dog wanting to be in the crate more now then before i mean when the baby comes home, i can only tell you that all of my dogs were crate trained and it was always a good idea because the dog had his own place to go if he needed to also if you can not keep your eye on puppy he was safe if he was in his crate good luck in what ever you choose but i don't think a crate is a bad idea
Old 12-28-2007, 04:02 PM
We are Home.

Its more the baby Im worried about in the safe department poor little girl is going to be surrounded by huge monsters (3 dogs over 60 lbs) who all want to play with her LOL. Once she starts crawling I can see Walker with his nose up her butt half the time LOL.

And my mom also suggested he not sleep in the room with us for the first few weeks I dont think hes gonna go for that at all. Hes never slept anywhere but near me except when im not home.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:05 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

be awhile before that baby is tearing up the place, you will have time to read him out. Have you seen over the hedge? Hammie the squirrel and Victor are interchangable WHoever wrote that knew Victor and he knew about my grandson. It amazed me. Except for tucking his toys in around the feet of the carseat, he did nothing else that was remotely dangerous.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!