Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Top Dog

Sizzledog, you CAN find a good GSD, it's not that hard. You might not find one within 50 miles though, but I doubt you can find a good Dobe in that range all the time as well. It seems to me that there are more show type Dobies out there vs working dogs. There are plenty of working type GSD breeders around. If you don't want an American style dog, and you don't want a high drive over the top working line dog, then look at the German show lines. That is what Gunnar is and I think it's a nice blend of working ability and being able to lay around if that is what you are doing. He follows me everywhere I go and is never more than a few feet from me. He anticipates my moves, like in the morning, when I'm getting coffee and feeding the cat, he goes to the office and lays down, because he knows I'll be there momentarily, but he stays where he can watch me. When it's go time, he'll keep it up as long as you need him too, and if it's something he loves like playing ball, he'll outlast anyone. Climate wise- the GSD does well in the heat because of the double coat. Cold is no problem either, Gunnar loves the winter and his coat is so thick around his back legs you can't even scratch down to the skin.

I haven't had a lot of experience with Dobes, only 1 I know who is a real nice dog, has good obedience, but is a bit of a chicken when it comes to environment. In both heat and cold, he will shut down quickly. And some days, he just refuses to work, being a goofball when he's supposed to be serious. He doesn't pick up on new tasks as fast as Gunnar does. We've both been training at the same place for over a year together, and particularly when new obstacles are introduced on the agility course, Gunnar will learn the new object within a few tries, while the Dobie takes weeks to get comfortable with it. Some, he never gets, like the window jump. He can easily clear it but has a mental block when it comes to going over it.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Felurian

Hmmm . . . I'm thinking maybe it has more to do with the owner's "style" than anything else, maybe?

All my Sheps - pure or mixed - have been completely owner-centric. They could give a flying flip about objects if there's a choice. They've been either right next to me or where they could see me at all times.

None of them would blindly take orders, and if they had a better way to accomplish something, they did it that way. If I asked them to do something they thought was ridiculous or pointless, they'd let me know, lol!

And, cute as Fila pups are, there is NOTHING any cuter than a GSD pup, lol!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Naturally Natural

I think its a hell of a lot easier to find a good GSD than a good doberman - there are very few doberman owners that work their dogs, thoroughly health test, AND are focusing on structure. While there are many GSD breeders that care little beyond the AKC show ring, there are MANY MANY GSD breeders that work, health test, don't breed all over the place, and have structurally correct dogs. To top it off, I could have a good GSD for well under 1000, and wouldn't have to wait 2 years. CAn't say the same for a doberman- there are not a ton of dobe breeders that show AND work beyond some basic obedience for those that are interested in it, and you'd be hard pressed to find a responsible breeder letting dobes go for under 1000.

ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, VC CDX ASCA-CDX CDX-H RE RL1X RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC FFX-OG

Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD ASCA-CD CD-H BN RN NA RL1 WAC ATT YTT PTT CGC

Bowie's Here Comes the Boom!

http://otchrah.blogspot.com/
Old 01-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Are you dead yet?

Could someone please define what "blindly taking orders" means? I've yet to meet a dog that will take absolutely pointless, boring commands over and over, and I have worked with quite a variety of dogs, from sighthounds to Goldens to my own BCs.

I'm in agreement with Doberkim that it's really difficult to find good Dobermans. Maybe part of it is because I live out West where there aren't a lot of them, but I've been able to find decent GSD breeders within my state or neighboring states, and a pet puppy on average from one of them isn't going to run you $2000. Though I suppose it depends on what kind of GSD you're looking for - I want to see dogs that work, either in sports like Schutzhund or as police service/SAR/assistance dogs. I want good structure but I don't particularly care about wins in the ring. Maybe it's easier for me to find a GSD because I don't need a super high-drive sport dog.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:41 PM
treehugging clicker freak

IME - I find Dobes much more "intense" than GSDs. Intense is what I think of when I picture a Dobe. Hard.
To me, its almost like they're on guard at all times... which I'm not saying is a bad thing! With the GSDs I've known, they appear to act more relaxed and at times more social with new people (appear more relaxed, but are probably still on guard as well).

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 01-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
I don't think I would look at it that way Reggin.

What I got out of Mary's post is this........and please correct me if I am wrong Mary.

Think of the GSD as an intelligent soldier, but STILL as soldier that follows your every command (once trained) If the commander orders everyone to jump ship even though the ship is perfectly fine, and there was no logical reason, the GSD would do it because he was told to. (good soldier)

Now think of the Doberman as an intelligent civilian. Give him the same order to jump ship..........the ship is fine and there is nobody in the water needing saved. The doberman is going to think "why? that water is cold and you don't NEED me to jump in do you?" That's not to say he wouldn't do it..........it means he would think about it and try to figure out a better way, LOL

Dobes have dedication and drive galore.........they just like to have their own thoughts as well.
Ok, I understand now, lol. I was a bit confused at first.

Reminds me of a documentary called "war dogs". It was about the soldiers and their dogs during the Vietnam war. There was a soldier and his dog partner walking through the woods. After a little while the dog stopped right in his tracks. The soldier kept telling his dog to move forward, but the dog refused, disobeying his command. So the soldier went ahead of the dog and as soon as he got 2 steps ahead the dog jumped in front of him and wouldn't let him go any further. The soldier closely examined the ground in front of him and discovered a trip line that led to a deadly bomb. This dog was a GSD, and if it wasn't for the dog disobeying its command, they both would have died that day. It made the hair on my back raise on end when I heard that story.

Maybe it is true that most GSDs aren't that way and do everything they are told, but this story kinda stuck out in my mind. I like both breeds. Both are amazing.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:01 AM
Naturally Natural

Reggin, first there are always exceptions to every story about every breed of dog. So someone will always have a story of any breed to say "Well, I knew of a time when... "

Second, a highly trained dog (such as those used by the military, etc) are ALWAYS exceptions for the most part to anything, because those are not dogs that most people want to live with.

ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, VC CDX ASCA-CDX CDX-H RE RL1X RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC FFX-OG

Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD ASCA-CD CD-H BN RN NA RL1 WAC ATT YTT PTT CGC

Bowie's Here Comes the Boom!

http://otchrah.blogspot.com/
Old 01-25-2008, 05:04 AM
Puppy Dog

I've never been around a lot of Dobes, but the few I've had in my training classes/or here for grooming have been silly, fun dogs to work with.

My sister has 2 Shepherds, a 3 year old female and a 12 week old male. Her husband is a police officer and their female is a drug detection dog for the police force where they live (Teller County). I believe they will also be training the male for this later on. Both are very sweet dogs, though her female is a bit more aloof and shy with strangers. The male is very goofy, but he's also pretty young too. They are both big velcro dogs, she can't even stand up without both of them doing the same and watching her intently. "Whacha doing mom? Need help with anything?" They are obsessed with her every move.

They are great with their two kids, even though the female is a police dog, though Teller County's dog training program is more geared towards good working dogs AND family dogs. Teller County's police dogs aren't nearly as aggressive as most (I should say ALL) military dogs and most of the officers of Teller county bring their dogs home at night and they live as family dogs off-duty.
Qenna: 11 week old chocolate Lab (Seizure Response SDIT)
Old 01-26-2008, 10:58 PM
sheplovr

Dobes are in the family, but personally I have no experience owning one ever. I feel they are a smaller boned dog, not for real intense work, their necks look like they might break easily if hit hard enough?'

GSD's from European countries with show n working lines have both beauty, and hard working abilities. Heavier boned East Shepherds with much more nervous type of drive is used alot for narcotic and bomb detecting work.

West lines I breed for are good also, but more sounder nerves, great search n rescue dogs and super companions. They bond so closely to one or the family, their r natural protectors not just to bark, but to protect!!

Yes, coats are heavier than Dobes but all dogs shed, even non shedders drop some hair, I can deal with that brushing daily 15 minutes helps alot and giving good supplements for skin n coats. I think the importing of Shepherds than American are healthier, easier to train, more close to people, yet u can show at Seiger shows and have fun, train for Shutzhund Sport that kinda comes natural for most.

A fun dog to own, breed, and train. I have had many varieties of dogs and turned to the West German Shepherd. Super temperments, never had a mean one and imported alot of them, as puppies and raised them, also as year olds and older.

TO ERR IS HUMAN....TO FORGIVE IS CANINE~~~~

!!PAT~~
Old 01-27-2008, 12:11 AM
Kotah BEAR

wow I have learned alot from this thread.
I'm glad to cause I am looking into adopting a GSD and hopefully getting a puppy GSD in the future, if it comes down to it. I would also like a Lab pup, but thats off topic.

I have met MAYBE 2 Dobes and one I met was a male and he was the funniest dog ever but very serious when need be.
As far as GSD goes, I've met and been around one and he is a sweetheart. The lady that has him has 3 kids and that GSD follows her 2 sons around like his life depends on it and is the most loyal dog I have EVER met.
I dont think I would own a Dobe but they are stunning dogs in all aspect of the word.
GSD I would love to own and they are also stunning dogs.

I will continue to keep up with this thread since I am getting tons of info off of it as well.