Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-27-2007, 05:19 AM
Top Dog

Default How hard is it?

How hard is it to break a dog from digging? Boomer has turned into quite the excavator now. He does it in a matter of minutes. And we're talking HUGE holes all over my yard now. I want him to learn that he can't do that and haven't got a clue how to teach him that other than catching him in the act and saying "no" which so far has had absolutely no effect on him. He will look over at you and continue digging. Can anyone give me any tips on what to do to remedy this problem?
Old 12-27-2007, 05:22 AM
Bored Now.

He doesn't like poop, does he?

With Middie when he digs a hole I put a bunch of his poop in it and then fill it up.. he doesn't touch the spot after. If you have a big yard that will be kinda hard to do, though.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:24 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
He doesn't like poop, does he?

With Middie when he digs a hole I put a bunch of his poop in it and then fill it up.. he doesn't touch the spot after. If you have a big yard that will be kinda hard to do, though.
I wished he didn't like poop... but apparently it's his food of choice on many occasions. He not only eats his own poop.... but I've caught him eating lola's poop before it even has a chance to hit the ground... ewwwww... makes me wanna vomit just thinking about it. I have yet to break him of that nasty habit either.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:27 AM
Bored Now.

Ehm. I'm out of ideas, then. Unless there's something else he finds equally nasty you can fill the holes with.

I mean, short of digging up the yard and putting concrete down and then some grass over it you're screwed unless you have constant supervision. Unless putting a BIG, deep, sandbox might work and praising him for digging there instead, and burying toys in it? Redirecting the behavior might work.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:28 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I gave Lucas a special "Sandbox" to dig in. It was basically just a big tub thing filled with a lot of dirt that he was allowed to dig in. He originally got to dig in one spot in the yard, but that changed when we moved.

He LOVED to dig in his sandbox! It took a while before he got the idea that it was ok to dig there and ONLY there though. Basically I would just watch him outside and tell him "NO" for digging, and redirect him to his sandbox and encourage him to dig. Don't know how well that would work with a terrier lol goodluck!
Old 12-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Top Dog

honestly the BEST way to stop them digging is to give them a place to dig. How big is your dog? If he's not huge you can even just get a plastic sand box, fill it with sand and redirect him to it when ever you see him digging. This also means he needs to be supervised when outside until you get this under control. Make the toy box more fun than the yard. Bury fun stuff in the sand, from new toys to treats. This will make him want to dig in the sand box and since you'll stop him from digging in the yard quickly when he starts, he'll learn digging in the box works better than digging in the yard.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 12-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Top Dog

maybe I'll try and section off a designated digging area. My little terrier doesn't do much digging at all. Boomer is a lab mix dog who just digs, digs, digs.. and digs.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:12 AM
Active Pup

Default Diggin Corgi

We have a 2 year old corgi that loves to dig. I found that she mainly digs out of boredom and if I keep her entertained with toys and lot's of attention she stops the digging. I try and make it a habit to walk her in the morning , noon, and, in the evening it's kind of a pain to walk her that much, but it beats having a yard with pot holes in it.