Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Do you obey your local leash laws?
Always 25 64.10%
Sometimes--Not when we're in quiet areas or on a short walk around the neighborhood 14 35.90%
Rarely--I don't usually leash my dog 0 0%
Never---I don't think my dog needs a leash. 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Walks into Mordor

Default Leash laws?

Rather than hijack that Dreeza's thread any further, I thought I'd start another thread about leash laws.

Out of sheer curiosity, what are the leash laws in your area? I was also wondering how many people actually obeyed their leash laws, so I posted an anonymous poll.

In my city, a dog is required to be on-leash whenever it's off the owner's property. However, the law says nothing about fences. A boundary-trained dog can run around loose in an unfenced yard all day long, and it's perfectly legal as long as the dog doesn't leave the property. The law also doesn't specify leash length.

I obey the leash law, but I wish more people would. I have had a LOT of problems in my neighborhood with off-leash dogs harassing the Horsemen. It's really frustrating, especially when I'm working so hard to keep Voodoo's mild (and still manageable) dog aggression from developing into something major. Every time he's harassed, it makes my task a lot harder.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:57 AM

PA has a leash law. now...it is rural here, but the township supervisor is a neighbor and he tells me according to PA law a dog must be tied even if fenced. well...I'm not buying that. however, I suppose IF it is the law...then if someone comes into their fenced yard and gets attacked, I'll have a nifty lawsuit on my hands. (I now have locks for when they are in their fenced area) I walk my dogs on leash only, even tho they could be running wonderfully free in the woods. but not because of leash laws, it's because If..If...they wandered too far, they could be shot. that's the way dogs are dealt with around here. I'd be dragging behind them the entire way if they took off just because I'd risk my own injury before ever..ever letting them off leash.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:05 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

^ Wouldn't it be their fault though if they get attacked - since they are trespassing?

Hm well I'm not going to say that my dog is always on a leash - because we don't have a leash law, only in some areas where there are signs, there she gets put on her leash. If we are walking in the fields or forest She's free to roam as long as she stays close and doesn't wander off. If I call and she doesn't listen, she gets put on her leash.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Snow Girl

I always obey leash laws, but like I've mentioned before, with most Huskies, you kinda have to if you want to keep your dog around LOL That being said though, sometimes I technically break the leash law. Here the law states the maximum length of leash allowed off the property is 6ft. But sometimes if I'm gonna head to the trails to walk, I have the boys on their longe lines. I keep the lines short when walking around streets on the way to the trail of course though.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 12-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Chihuahua Power!

We always obey the leash laws

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 12-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Top Dog

^^^^^^^^^^ As do I.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Water Junkie

I'm not completely sure we have any. I've seen TONS of loose dogs and nothing is done about it (in town).

But at certain parks there are signs that ask for dogs to be on leash - and we obey them.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 12-21-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsyQueen View Post
^ Wouldn't it be their fault though if they get attacked - since they are trespassing?

Hm well I'm not going to say that my dog is always on a leash - because we don't have a leash law, only in some areas where there are signs, there she gets put on her leash. If we are walking in the fields or forest She's free to roam as long as she stays close and doesn't wander off. If I call and she doesn't listen, she gets put on her leash.
you'd think..logically...but, no. it would be my problem IF that is the law. it's the same as the laws of property. say...my steps are broken. a would-be burgular tries to break in, falls thru my poorly maintained steps and breaks a leg. yes..you guessed it...I am responsible for his fall..his care..his possible law suit. even if he was trying to break in when it happened. I'd be also responsible if someone were tresspassing on a quad..or bike...and I had a dangerous obstruction that they ran into. it helps to post 'no trespassing' signs, but that doesn't necessarily mean you are free from liability. property laws are often misunderstood by homeowners. it is overwhelming as to what you may be held accountable for. sooo...unless my dogs are IN THE HOUSE..and someone is coming in to do possible harm (and believe me, according to law..they better be shown to be inside...like gun laws), then ANY dog bite is my problem. hence...the locks on their yard. at least I'd have that to argue if someone still had the knucklehead idea to climb over the fence. for what THAT would be worth in court...............crazy world we live in.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Show Dog

Always.

Frankly, the irresponsible individuals who think that leash laws are theirs to interpret do not deserve to own a dog.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Are you dead yet?

We don't have a leash law where I live, since it's a semi-rural area. Only a mention of unsupervised dogs at large, I believe.

I obey the leash law in the city, but I'm not a fanatic about it. I'll unhook the leash for training sessions in quiet or residential areas, but as soon as we get close to a road again it goes back on.