Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-20-2007, 05:31 PM
Bored Now.

Technically it's legal for him to run loose in my neighborhood. Sometimes if we're up very, very late and everything is quiet Ill let him run for 1/2 hr or so. When he wants to come in her races right past me onto the deck and stares at the door like he can bore a hole in it.. rofl.. silly dog.

He also gets to be off-leash in the backyard.

That's about it. When he's out with me he can be on a 20, 30, or 50 ft line so he can have plenty of freedom.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:54 PM
My house is a zoo

We have 15 acres, so our backyard is the best place to take them. However, Sammy and Marley are never trusted off leash and instead we have a 20 foot long line so they can still run and play but not run off and get hurt.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:04 PM
Island dweller

The backyard of course. Or we'll drive to the beach and either use their offleash area (often too shallow for Mav) or we'll hike way out and let them off. Sometimes we take them out to the mountains too. In Alberta there were lots of fields for them to play in. Mav is good in offleash parks too.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Top Dog

i don't have any dog parks near me or anywhere safe I can take my dogs offleash. Dixie runs in the yard which is over 3 acres with about 3/4 of an acre cleared. She runs the cleared area and every once in a while the woods but it is so thick you can't go more than a few feet. My yard is not fenced so she's offleash in the yard only with supervision. She has a solid recall and think she would be fine in a dog park, if only there was one close.

Bear is never offleash. Even in the yard he's always on his tie out. He has no recall whatsoever even with everything I've tried to do. He's a runner and if given the chance, won't come back.

Thanks for the siggie Baxter'smybaby!

Laura
Old 12-20-2007, 08:31 PM
swimming upstream

The local dog park is the only place right now--but it seems to do the trick for Baxter who does need to just run! Traveler is reliable off leash around our house--running in our yard is enough for her, but she looooooooooves the dog park--bounces like puppy when I mention it.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Let it be

My mommy's house. She lives on a small farm. THe boys love it. We also go to this old abandoned school. It has a huge soccer field no one ever uses. It's on 5 acres and the dogs shred turf there. I let Bandit off lead at the park we go to every day and Spanky gets let out on a long line. They can be left off if we are up hiking. I just don't like letting Spanky off in a really public area because he pesters the dog owners.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:09 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I meant besides our backyards. Our backyard offers little room for the running Bella needs, so we have to go elsewhere.. I can't wait to get some land.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Top Dog

My riding instructor has about 80 acres of cow pastures. Whenever we trail ride, the dogs come with us. My instructor's Australian shepherd, Bear, has saved us multiple times. We never go on a trail ride without him coming along.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:14 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

We take Belle and Beezer to the dog park here... it is mostly all the same people that use it and they are all great.

although lately with Hannah we haven't been getting them there as much as we would like and since we don't have a fenced in yard we have been really looking around for a new house to buy so that they may have the space to run around and play....right now they either just play in the living room with us or we give them run of the basement to be crazy. it's not ideal but it's the best we can do right now

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 12-21-2007, 12:24 AM
Top Dog

wow! I am so jealous of you guys!! My city was recently entertaining the idea of "testing" out a dog park, but I don't know what happened with that. Which reminds me to call (who the heck to call Im not sure) and try to find out about that...

On the very rare occasion that I get to have Oakley up at school with me, there are a few parks around that are great places to take him...but that only happens like twice a year

My city makes all the school play grounds like anti-dog. People still take their dogs there, but only ppl who trust them b/c EVERY fence has at least 3 or 4 huge gaps along it somewhere...like as an "entrance" but there is no gate to close it!! How stupid is that!??

Thanks Jessie!