Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Walks into Mordor

Default Chazzers not in the U.S.....

I noticed this in another thread, and I was curious. What are leash laws like in your country? Can you take your dogs everywhere?

Here in the states, leash laws abound. Whenever you're in an urban area, you're usually required to have your dog on-leash.

Same thing in the country. Most countryside is actually private property, and you can't let your dog off-leash on another person's property without their consent. Here in Texas, where feral dogs and coyotes can take a heavy toll on ranchers' livestock, you run the risk your dog being shot by a rancher if they see it off-leash on their property.

Around here, suburb dogs like my Horsemen are usually off-leash only in fenced properties, such as backyards or dog parks.

Many stores here don't object too much to dogs, but it depends on the size of the dog and the particular store. I've heard that European stores are much more accepting of dogs coming in.

What's it like where you live?
Old 12-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Sit! Good dog.

On lead when walking on a footpath, but you you will see well behaved dogs trotting along with their owners.

You may get parts of a park that are fenced off so dogs CAN'T go in there haha - not usually the other way around.

You can walk on any public footpath (that is a country path) with a dog off lead - but must have control of your dog around livestock.

I am sure I posted something about this awhile back.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 12-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Walks into Mordor

Footpaths? What are those? Are they like sidewalks?

And if you ask me, the leash laws in the states are getting a bit wild. You can't even take your dog on national park hiking trails with you. Not even if your dog is on a leash. Ridiculous!
Old 12-20-2007, 01:41 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress View Post
You can't even take your dog on national park hiking trails with you. Not even if your dog is on a leash. Ridiculous!
this makes me really sad. i'd love to through-hike the Appalachian Trail with Luce, but there are sections where there are no dogs allowed.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 12-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
this makes me really sad. i'd love to through-hike the Appalachian Trail with Luce, but there are sections where there are no dogs allowed.
That makes me sad, too. Hubby and I really wanted to tour some national parks and do a few backpacking trips with the Horsemen. But guess what? No dogs allowed on trails. How stupid is that??
Old 12-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Sit! Good dog.

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/show...8&postcount=37

Also I found this:

Dog Prohibition Areas
There are a number of places in the borough where dogs are banned, with the exception of guide dogs. These dog prohibition areas are mostly children***8217;s play areas and cemeteries and are patrolled by our dog wardens. Anyone taking a dog into one of these areas could be taken to Court where a fine of up to ***163;500 can be given.

Avoid walking your dog near a children***8217;s play area or in a cemetery - there will be many other places nearby where you can walk your dog.

Dogs on Leads Areas
Your dog should always be kept under control in public places, but in some areas there are byelaws which state that dogs must be kept on a lead (with the exception of guide dogs). These areas are in ornamental gardens, bowling greens, and pitch and putt areas and are patrolled by our dog wardens.

Anyone taking a dog into one of these areas without a lead could be taken to Court where a fine of up to ***163;500 can be given.

The laws are pretty relaxed... but it wasn't that long ago that people just let their dogs roam during the day....!!

In fact, I have a LOVELY newspaper clipping i need to scan from a loong time ago about a dog. Will get on it.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Here is a summary of dog law in fact. http://www.naturenet.net/law/dogs.html

Old 12-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress View Post
That makes me sad, too. Hubby and I really wanted to tour some national parks and do a few backpacking trips with the Horsemen. But guess what? No dogs allowed on trails. How stupid is that??
Yeah I know it...
Old 12-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Top Dog

Here in NZ, dogs are allowed in lots of places. They're allowed in kids playground areas etc if they stay on leash and they're allowed to walk in regional parks, just not national parks. Dogs are also allowed on the beach off lead for half of the year (the autumn/winter part) and the other half are only allowed on before 9am and after 7pm or something, which is pretty cool.
Dogs are allowed off-leash petty much everywhere! They're only supposed to go back on when they're coming up to a really public place, like a park, shop etc.

Quote:
Footpaths? What are those? Are they like sidewalks?
Yes, Gempress.

That's my gorgeous Samoyed Lui, and the cat, Fluffy Bum (named after the cat in the book Bad Jelly the Witch!)

Old 12-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

In my town, we cant walk a dog on a leash longer than 6'. Nough said.