Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreeza View Post
I didnt "let" him any of the times. The examples I gave both occurred when he was supposedly adequately confined (and if you try telling me that you would assume a 7' kennel for a 30 lb dog isn't adequate...course we have had to put chicken wire all over the kennel now to prevent this from happening again but c'mon, no one saw that one coming)

Are you a parent? Are you one of those who don't let their kids do anything? Kids/dogs could get hurt doing practically anything...its called living.

I'm not gonna confine him from doing what he absolutely LIVES for. Running, jumping & playing. We would probably have to walk him 5 hours a day to get even half is energy out if he were just on a leash (on top of all the indoor play we already do with him...). Thats kinda not possible.
The incident that just happened was when he was on a walk with you unleashed. I was just saying that he could've gotten hurt, but if you don't care that your dog could get hurt, fine. If you don't want to prevent an accident or a fight with another dog, then nevermind.

No, I'm not a parent, but if I was I would at least have the smarts to prevent them from falling off things that are 5-6' high.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWench View Post
could have gotten into a bad scuff with the resident dog who would have been 100% within its right to attack a trespassing canine sorry...)
hence the reason I was scared sh*tless for a second..

Quote:
but MOST places allowing your dog offleash is illegal...i dont know the leashlaws where you are but its simply irresponsible to put your dog in that situation no matter how well hes supposedly trained in recall and USED to being off leash.
it is technically illegal where I live, however, we have had 3-4 cops so far stop and tell us how impressed they are with how well behaved Oakley is, and have not said a word about him not being allowed off leash, so we kinda took that as an 'ok'. I wouldnt be surprised if Oakley saw a cop once a day on his walks...its been like 2 years now...and we havent gotten in trouble once.

Quote:
if you want to give him the freedom of being ofleash get a long line a 50ft trainig leash or one of the flexie HORSE lunges (much stronger than the dog felxies)
and that would have helped the situation how? He still woulda jumped after the squirrel (well, unless he wasn't on his 'ok' command, but he would've been or else a 50ft leash would seem pretty pointless)...

I was probably 3 feet away from him...either I woulda been pulled over the fence with him (and since I clearly would have been caught off guard, I probs woulda ended up unconscious in the snow, and eventually dead) had he been on a short leash...or i would have ended up in the exact same situation...with him stuck in the backyard (i suppose w/ a long leash I coulda yanked him up...but that seems slightly inhumane)

Thanks Jessie!

Old 12-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Chihuahua Power!

I'm sure that my dogs would love to be off leash as well, but there's a time and a place for it... in a fenced secure area. Not to mention that there are leash laws in place for a reason.

I would never put my dogs in a situation where they could get hurt if I could prevent it... or where they could become a liability.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 12-20-2007, 11:55 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post

No, I'm not a parent, but if I was I would at least have the smarts to prevent them from falling off things that are 5-6' high.
you calling my parents stupid?

I fell out of so many trees, off soo many jungle gyms, off a galloping out of control horse...never once broken a bone or gotten seriously injured. But you are right..something COULD have happened!!

My god my parents are irresponsible pricks...i cant believe they let me climb trees, play on playgrounds and GASP those assholes...sent me to HORSE CAMP, omg!!

Thanks Jessie!

Old 12-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
you calling my parents stupid?

I fell out of so many trees, off soo many jungle gyms, off a galloping out of control horse...never once broken a bone or gotten seriously injured. But you are right..something COULD have happened!!

My god my parents are irresponsible pricks...i cant believe they let me climb trees, play on playgrounds and GASP those assholes...sent me to HORSE CAMP, omg!!
I'm talking about preventable accidents. Did your parents guide you off of a six foot wall so that you'd fall and have the possibility of breaking your leg?
Old 12-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Also, he could've ended up in a yard with someone who didn't think it was a big joke... I love dogs, but I would be pretty angry if someone's dog went into my yard. What if this guy had a dog and it attacked Oakley/vice versa? What if the guy had children and Oakley bit them? You see this as one big joke, but a dog off leash can be seriously injured or end up as a liability.

I was attacked by an off leash dog when I was 3, and I had to be rushed to the ER and had to have stitches. The dog was put to sleep, if you're curious.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
I'm talking about preventable accidents. Did your parents guide you off of a six foot wall so that you'd fall and have the possibility of breaking your leg?
uhh...did I guide Oakley off a 6 foot wall?? no... I didnt even realize the drop was there...

and had I fallen out of a tree and broke my leg, i am pretty sure you would have considered it a preventable accident seeing as my parents were totally okay with me climbing in the first place...

Thanks Jessie!

Old 12-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
uhh...did I guide Oakley off a 6 foot wall?? no... I didnt even realize the drop was there...

and had I fallen out of a tree and broke my leg, i am pretty sure you would have considered it a preventable accident seeing as my parents were totally okay with me climbing in the first place...
But there aren't leash laws for children You can't compare dogs to children... it's like comparing apples and oranges. They are completely different.

Like I said, leash laws are in place for a reason.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

If you had had Oakley on a leash and been walking him properly, he wouldn't have fallen so basically, YES, you did guide him off a 6 foot wall.

A child climbing a tree is a little different than a dog, who doesn't know he/she can break a leg, falling off a wall.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
Also, he could've ended up in a yard with someone who didn't think it was a big joke... I love dogs, but I would be pretty angry if someone's dog went into my yard. What if this guy had a dog and it attacked Oakley/vice versa? What if the guy had children and Oakley bit them? You see this as one big joke, but a dog off leash can be seriously injured or end up as a liability.

I was attacked by an off leash dog when I was 3, and I had to be rushed to the ER and had to have stitches. The dog was put to sleep, if you're curious.
OMG.

seriously. wow.

Its kinda like one of those situations you laugh off BECAUSE it turned out okay.

This guy DOES have a dog, and it ALWAYS barks when we walk by...if he had been in there, there is a HUGE HUGE chance he woulda attacked Oakley...and, since he is like 5x the size of him, and Oakley is a horrible fighter, he prob could've killed him. Hence the reason i was scared sh*tless for a second. My god people. I dont know how you live your lives when something scary happens.

I know I've had more than one scary moment in my life, and when I know its over...all I can do is laugh. If not, I probably would have had multiple heart attacks by now.

On the way back, we obviously did NOT walk by that house...i mean, I take steps to prevent stuff from occurring again, I learn from mistakes. Sorry If i ddint anticipate Oakley standing on a 5' snowdrift, and then a squirrel flying out of nowhere, and oakley being dumb enough to jump after it.

And yes, he is able to show restraint when chasing animals. He will stop mid-chase without me making a peep if the animal crosses the street because he KNOWS he is not allowed to cross.

Thanks Jessie!