Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-20-2007, 04:46 PM
~Lisa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahFish View Post
Since when? A quiet neighbourhood, and it being legal to have dogs off-lead, is fine. If you can trust your dog, and know the risks are low, what's the problem?
Of course, it does depend where you live. Some countries have this as against the law, but where I live heaps of people do this, it's legal, and it's fine.

I think it is rude for people to walk there dogs with out a leash. period. Some people do not like dogs, some people dont want dogs on there property. Some dogs do not get along. For the saftey and hapiness of neighboors it is only respectable to keep a dog on leash be it a 2lbs chi or a 150lbs mastiff. My dog is great offleash and great with a recal, great with hand signals to keep him behind me. Yet I am still nice enough to keep him on leash. To many dangers with other animals and pesticides on lawns for me to want to risk anything with my bo. there is fields, woods, trails, dog parks, lakes ect that are safe places to take dogs. Why chance it on a street?
Old 12-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Water Junkie

No worries, I've done the same thing Hope your week gets better.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 12-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Unless she had Oakley on a VERY short lead he would have still gotten into that yard, so a leash would not have averted this situation.
Well in that case she knows now that he needs to be on a very short lead, right?

Thanks Steveinski!
Old 12-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankstar View Post
I think it is rude for people to walk there dogs with out a leash. period. Some people do not like dogs, some people dont want dogs on there property. Some dogs do not get along. For the saftey and hapiness of neighboors it is only respectable to keep a dog on leash be it a 2lbs chi or a 150lbs mastiff. My dog is great offleash and great with a recal, great with hand signals to keep him behind me. Yet I am still nice enough to keep him on leash. To many dangers with other animals and pesticides on lawns for me to want to risk anything with my bo. there is fields, woods, trails, dog parks, lakes ect that are safe places to take dogs. Why chance it on a street?
No, if you can trust your dog, and you are sensible, then you will get your dog to return to you if you see people coming, just general courtesy.
And you say a neighbourhood is dangerous because of other animals and pestisides, but surely there are animals out of neighbourhoods and suburbs too, and there are also other dangerous things out there, poisonous plants, lakes, holes etc. Pretty much everything can be dangerous if we go into it too much, LIFE is dangerous, let's allow our dogs to take a few risks, like we do.

That's my gorgeous Samoyed Lui, and the cat, Fluffy Bum (named after the cat in the book Bad Jelly the Witch!)

Old 12-20-2007, 05:00 PM
~Lisa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahFish View Post
No, if you can trust your dog, and you are sensible, then you will get your dog to return to you if you see people coming, just general courtesy.
And you say a neighbourhood is dangerous because of other animals and pestisides, but surely there are animals out of neighbourhoods and suburbs too, and there are also other dangerous things out there, poisonous plants, lakes, holes etc. Pretty much everything can be dangerous if we go into it too much, LIFE is dangerous, let's allow our dogs to take a few risks, like we do.
I trust my dog 100%, you cant trust some random persons dog. Dogs are dogs, they are not push button put in a code and volia what you want them to be. they still have minds of there own, even the most obident dogs have off days and may not listen. I just respect my neighboors not to let my dog run free around the neighboorhood. I understand some people dont like dogs and dont like them on their property. We have leash laws here and I would like to stay on the good side of the law with my dog, as it is now he is already on the bad side for barking (which it isnt him. but some lovley neighboor says it is and he is never allowed inside haha, funn y since he is inside when ever he wants) Sorry but I just think it is rude to let your dog offleash in places like a neighboorhood.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Why rude? I can understand... irresponsible, but it's not rude.

I wouldn't walk Bodhi off lead on a roadside. But I don't think it's RUDE if someone does. I don't take offence. It's their choice.

I hate to see KIDS walking by roadsides, but I don't think it's rude. It's worrying, but it's not my child, so unless it is in immediate danger - I just keep walking. Ditto to dogs on streets.

Dreeza knows her dog FAR FAR more than you or I will ever second guessing the coulda, shoulda, woulda's.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 12-20-2007, 05:27 PM
~Lisa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Why rude? I can understand... irresponsible, but it's not rude.

I wouldn't walk Bodhi off lead on a roadside. But I don't think it's RUDE if someone does. I don't take offence. It's their choice.

I hate to see KIDS walking by roadsides, but I don't think it's rude. It's worrying, but it's not my child, so unless it is in immediate danger - I just keep walking. Ditto to dogs on streets.

Dreeza knows her dog FAR FAR more than you or I will ever second guessing the coulda, shoulda, woulda's.
I think it is rude in a neighboorhood setting. As not every one is a dog person, and no one wants to have dogs all over their lawn/property. I just dont see why to let a dog offleash in a neighboorhood and why it is so hard to just put a leash on them. I adore dogs obviously. But I hate walking by a person with a dog not on leash. Dogs will run up and sniff you ect. People in my neighboorhood are veryyy non dog friendly and would just have a **** fit if I let blaze go beside me, he is very well trained and reliable.

ETD we have leash laws. So I think not abiding by them, atleast in the neighboorhoods and such is rude. much like I think it is rude to drive with a cellhpone, or rude to cut some one off one the road. There are laws for all those too.

Last edited by Tankstar; 12-20-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:46 PM
<--------Orson

Wow What a crazy thread.

I agree with Blues point. I can ATTEST to the fact that this incident could happen with a leashed dog PERIOD. It happened to Phoebe shortly after she was adopted. She hung herself right over a fence and the lead was only a 6 foot leash. It can all happen very quick and I don't care WHO you are..........it CAN happen to you.

Glad it all turned out ok Dreeza, I hope it taught Mr. Oakley a little lesson too, LOL
Old 12-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotDobe View Post
PappiLuv, your post was fantastic.
Thank you!
Old 12-21-2007, 12:07 AM
Top Dog

alright, i'm not about to post in response to everyone..but for the few things that I can remember wanting to respond to:

Do you KNOW where I live? No.

Rude to walk off leash?? to WHO? The maybe, MAYBE ONE single person I might see across the street 3 blocks ahead of me?? When I *DO* see someone that I will cross paths with I ALWAYS call Oakley to my side so he walks next to me.

And for all of you who save your "off leash" time for safe fenced in areas, where you have acreages for your dogs to runs, swamps/fields etc. Well aren't your dogs just lucky then.

Once again. Do you know where I live? If you can tell me of a place where I can safely take Oakley to run off leash, I will GLADLY do so. Just try to find a place within reasonable distance. Have fun with that.

And also, maybe I didn't explain the scenario well enough...but I wasn't completely aware of the drop/wall/etc. I wish I had taken a pic...I havent walked by that house in at least a month...so its just a vague awareness, and with everything all white, it wasn't really obvious...heck, I was sitting there telling Oakley to "come" and it wasn't until I really looked over and realized that there was no way in heck he could jump back outta there.

It was one of those fluke incidents that he happened to end up in someone's yard...YES, it COULD have ended bad...but it did NOT. Whatever, all my friends and family thought it was funny.

And Tankstar...nice assuming that I let Oakley run all over everyone's property

This is stupid. I need to go to bed.

Thanks to all the people who were able to laugh with me

Thanks Jessie!