Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 06-23-2005, 12:50 AM
Saje Saje is offline
Island dweller
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 23,932
Default

I went vegan with one try! And stayed vegan for about a year. But then I was in japan and couldn't read anything. It was easier to point at a caesar salad on the menu then try and ask what some other things were. Plus one of my favourite places had these great little fried cheese balls. When I came back I went vegan again for about 8 months but then I went to Chile... Now I go through 'vegan' spells but I don't call myself that because I know I'll fall off the cheese wagon again.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-23-2005, 12:53 AM
Invisible's Avatar
Invisible Invisible is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cali.
Posts: 691
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje
I went vegan with one try! And stayed vegan for about a year. But then I was in japan and couldn't read anything. It was easier to point at a caesar salad on the menu then try and ask what some other things were. Plus one of my favourite places had these great little fried cheese balls. When I came back I went vegan again for about 8 months but then I went to Chile... Now I go through 'vegan' spells but I don't call myself that because I know I'll fall off the cheese wagon again.
What kind of things can't you eat when your vegan?
Like cheese, bread, milk, or anything that came from animals right?
Can you be healthy as a vegan? Do you have to take supplements?

I'm just curious cause someday I think I might go vegan because of the way they treat dairy cows, chickens, etc., but right now my parents have barely got past the fact that I'm vegetarian.
__________________
"A million times I needed you,
a million times I cried.
If love alone could have saved you
you never would have died.

In life I loved you dearly,
In death I love you still.
In my heart you hold a place
no one could ever fill."

RIP Chief.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-23-2005, 01:03 AM
Saje Saje is offline
Island dweller
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 23,932
Default

Yeah, vegan is no animal products. The things you'll miss the most are dairy. Some vegans still eat honey and some don't. It's just personal choice.

Vitamin B12 is the only thing that is really hard to get in the vegan diet. You have to eat fermented foods like miso, tempeh, ... some people say that seaweeds have some of it. You don't need a lot of B12. You can take supplements for it if you are worried. Your body also stores it for a long time so if you aren't getting enough it will take awhile to show signs.

If you come from a family that eats a lot of meat and dairy you will probably have to totally rethink how you eat and plan your meals until you get used to it. Do your research first! I'm quite serious about that. French fries are not a great vegetarian food.

Oh yeah, soy milk is usually fortified with B12 too and the chocolate or vanilla stuff is pretty good. Just find a brand that you like.

www.vegansociety.com has some good information and if you want to evaluate the food that you are eating try www.fitday.com it is free. Each day you log in what you eat and find out if you are meeting your requirements for the day/week. I don't think it's completely accurate. Every BODY is different and different nutrients work together (or against each other) for assimilation. But it's a good general guidelines. Look up chickpeas and lentils for amounts of iron and calcium. You might be surprised. And look up multi-grain toast for protein. Add some peanut butter to that and you have a nice complementary protein.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-23-2005, 01:16 AM
Invisible's Avatar
Invisible Invisible is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cali.
Posts: 691
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje
Yeah, vegan is no animal products. The things you'll miss the most are dairy. Some vegans still eat honey and some don't. It's just personal choice.

Vitamin B12 is the only thing that is really hard to get in the vegan diet. You have to eat fermented foods like miso, tempeh, ... some people say that seaweeds have some of it. You don't need a lot of B12. You can take supplements for it if you are worried. Your body also stores it for a long time so if you aren't getting enough it will take awhile to show signs.

If you come from a family that eats a lot of meat and dairy you will probably have to totally rethink how you eat and plan your meals until you get used to it. Do your research first! I'm quite serious about that. French fries are not a great vegetarian food.

Oh yeah, soy milk is usually fortified with B12 too and the chocolate or vanilla stuff is pretty good. Just find a brand that you like.

www.vegansociety.com has some good information and if you want to evaluate the food that you are eating try www.fitday.com it is free. Each day you log in what you eat and find out if you are meeting your requirements for the day/week. I don't think it's completely accurate. Every BODY is different and different nutrients work together (or against each other) for assimilation. But it's a good general guidelines. Look up chickpeas and lentils for amounts of iron and calcium. You might be surprised. And look up multi-grain toast for protein. Add some peanut butter to that and you have a nice complementary protein.
Ok I'm not planning on becoming vegan for a while cause I don't think my gaurdians would like it very much, but thanks for the information. If I do the change slower and show them that you can be healthy and that I know what I need to eat and know what I'm doing they might come around to it
They are BIG meat eaters and just don't understand me being vegetarian, but they go along with it. At first they thought it was just a phase I was going through Now they realize I'm serious/passionate about this.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to put it in my favorites so I can do some reading.
__________________
"A million times I needed you,
a million times I cried.
If love alone could have saved you
you never would have died.

In life I loved you dearly,
In death I love you still.
In my heart you hold a place
no one could ever fill."

RIP Chief.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-23-2005, 06:06 AM
bridey_01 bridey_01 is offline
Kelpiefied
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 760
Default

There is something you can do about this. I am part of an organisation called "animals asia". We are making very significant progress in china, where dog eating is completely legal. We are doing this through various programs, such as "Doctor dog", which is basically pet therapy in hospitals, and "professor paws" which is dogs in class rooms helping children to learn about animals. We have over three hundred therapy dogs working in china at the moment. You can help stop this!
You can donate, every cent goes to helping these poor animals.
Also, in china, rabies is rampant. Many chinese fear and loathe dogs becuase alot of dogs in asia have rabies. We are also working on offering rabies vaccines for dogs.
If anyone doesn't believe, i have photos.
As dog lovers every one of us should contribute to this cause.
In a year or two my collie thorn and i will travel to china to participate, i will donate my life to this cause.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-23-2005, 08:31 AM
mrose_s's Avatar
mrose_s mrose_s is offline
BusterLove
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: QLD, Australia
Posts: 12,139
Default

it si disgusting, but no more than done to other "consumable" animals. Thats why I went vegetarian, its all just so gross. Event if you kill them "humanley" an animal still lost it's life.

I found something a whiile ago while I was doing another assignment I saved it on my computer because it was really confronting and I needed to keep it.
I will see if i can find it...

...

....
.....
......
.......
......
.....
....
...
..
.


sorry, can't find it right now, will look again tomorow
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-23-2005, 05:42 PM
Denaluvscorgis's Avatar
Denaluvscorgis Denaluvscorgis is offline
Corgi bum
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Portland,Oregon
Posts: 11,559
Default

I think that all animals should be treated humanely, whether they are bred for food or not. I don't think cattle should be treated badly either. It really bothers me to drive by semi trucks hauling cattle crammed in the back.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-23-2005, 09:54 PM
mrose_s's Avatar
mrose_s mrose_s is offline
BusterLove
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: QLD, Australia
Posts: 12,139
Default

exactly, Ive seen them loaded a few times and there really isnt any feeling, if they HAVE to be killed, then why can' they even have a pleasent last few hours. Nothing deserves to die, especially not to feed us like this.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-24-2005, 03:40 AM
shredhead (DOG LOVER)'s Avatar
shredhead (DOG LOVER) shredhead (DOG LOVER) is offline
Dog Spoiler
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s
exactly, Ive seen them loaded a few times and there really isnt any feeling, if they HAVE to be killed, then why can' they even have a pleasent last few hours. Nothing deserves to die, especially not to feed us like this.
Seriously, I'm sure that we could raise these animals a lot more humanely and have them killed for meat more humanely. It probably wouldn't even cost us that much more.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-30-2005, 09:14 PM
+Dogs4[my]life+'s Avatar
+Dogs4[my]life+ +Dogs4[my]life+ is offline
Mixed Dog
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: california
Posts: 57
Default

I lived in S.korea for 9 yrs.
When you go to a restaruant in a street, about 30% of the street restaurants have dog meat in the menu.
YUKKKKKKKK!! [i've never even thought about eating one.]
they should be ashamed..
and in a street where you can see lots of things, they kill dogs for dog meat in the street so you can see the fukin dog-eaters kill the dogs.
*******
__________________
I made my sig from Paint to show you wat crappy siggy looks like
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Dog abusers: Unwanted
+Dogs4[my]life+
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site