Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-20-2005, 10:32 PM
Taco Dog

Question Chihuahua Neck Problems

Though I heavily researched this breed before I had the pleasure of aquiring Roxy Mae, I just recently found this out: Neck pain and problems are common in Chihuahuas. My boss, a vet, told a client this while I was in the room assisting. I didn't ask for any specifics, but has any one else ever heard of this??

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 06-21-2005, 04:43 AM
Active Pup

I don't want to sound like Captain Obvious... But I can only imagine this is true because of their considerably large head in comparison to the body. Odd though, you think they would have adapted to better fit. Maybe not though, being that they are bred more to be companion dogs... if I'm not wrong...
Old 06-21-2005, 07:12 AM
Top Dog

or it could be because they spend all their time looking up, seeing that they are so small

Mo
Old 06-21-2005, 09:28 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
or it could be because they spend all their time looking up, seeing that they are so small
ROFLOL!!!! There you have it. The answer!

No, seriously...I have never heard this. (doesn't mean it's not true)These dogs are ANCIENT, it's ancestors dating back to the Toltec civilization. This is also the oldest breed on the American continent and the smallest breed in the world. I think my Chihuahuas are sturdy little chunks. But they get a 2 - 4 mile hike just about every day. They don't have fragile, long necks at all. I don't see their heads as being that disproportionately large either, a little and....ears yes. LOL. (All the better to hear you with, my dear) But I guess it's their forheads that are rather large and they often need a C-section when giving birth.

Now, my Doberman....there's a long neck. And they do sometimes have spinal problems. (CVI) But they're also quite a recent development. Unless dreadfully, poorly bred, the Chihuahua is quite an evolved and well adapted dog. They aren't as whimpy as one might think. And yes, they're meant for a companion and they DO make great ones!

Last edited by Doberluv; 06-21-2005 at 09:43 AM.