Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 12-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Top Dog

Clearly law enforcement and the DA really have too much free time in that area
Old 12-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Dafuq?

I would not steal a dog. When it comes down to it, I do nobody any good behind bars. If the dog dies, then the authorities who didn't follow up bear culpability in the matter. Look how many communities are overly concerned with passing laws banning breeds and criminalizing every minute aspect of dog fighting (even the legal ones). If these same communities can't write laws that require reasonable veterinary care, then they have no sense. I'm not going to jeopardize my freedom to do what the I-must-do-something politicians should be tackling.

ETA: If it wasn't publicity-motivated, she wouldn't have plastered the dog's picture all over thong underwear and the like (ew).

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 12-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

I haven't read the story in detail, but I suspect the reason she got in trouble was a combination of her exact actions and arrogance. She knew she was in the right (and in a moral sense she probably was) and so she acted like she had every right to do what she did, and let everyone know it. Here is how I might have handled this situation . . . not because I'm a better person, but because I perhaps have a better feel for the law. (required caveat . . . this is not legal advice)

I would have called the authorities, and made sure that I was calling from a phone that would have a record. (it looks like she might not have called at all). If they would not help, I would have taken the dog, and left a note for the owners of where I was taking the dog and why. I would then take the dog to the vet, get the required tests, informing the vet honestly that I was not the owner, just a concerned citizen. From there I would take the dog to one of the shelters in the area (not my own rescue, if I had one). Why would I do it this way? One, by leaving the note and taking the dog to the shelter, I have made it very clear that I do not want the dog and have no right to it . . . I am simply helping an animal in need. By telling the owners what I am doing, I am respecting their property rights. I would honestly tell the authorities that I did what I thought was best for the animal, and the problem is now in their hands. They can determine if the animal has been mistreated.

If was charaged at all for doing this, the crimes would be lesser crimes than those that Tammy was charged with . .. and I'd likely get more sympathy from the judge too. Humility and honesty can go a long way . . . arrogance and deception, even when you are in the right, can, well, get you charged with rather serious crimes.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:45 AM
Top Dog

Just in case somebody hasn't seen the videos--

This is the day they rescued him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN9t1rv4pj4

And this is him one week later: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCzbtQ7unp8

In another video, they mention that they met the "Humane Officer" at the vet, when they took Doogie.

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 12-18-2007, 07:25 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazwell View Post
Just in case somebody hasn't seen the videos--

This is the day they rescued him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN9t1rv4pj4

And this is him one week later: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCzbtQ7unp8

In another video, they mention that they met the "Humane Officer" at the vet, when they took Doogie.
Hrm . . . then frankly . . . I'm not sure what the problem is?
Old 12-18-2007, 01:29 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazwell View Post
I consider that abuse, when the dog hasn't stood up for 3 days and they don't go out and see what's wrong with their dog.
but see, you don't know that. you don't KNOW what was going on in the owners' heads or hearts. i have seen many MANY owners take their pets home when they were in horrible condition but the owners could not bring themselves to euthanize them yet. i have seen many animals brought in for euthanasia who were almost dead already but the owners couldn't bring themselves to bring the animal in before that point.

were those animals suffering? yes. were they suffering because the owners didn't care? absolutely not. do i think the owners were making poor, selfish decisions? certainly. but they were grief-stricken over those decisions.

i don't know what was in these owners' heads, but i don't think we have the information to know. i don't think it's fair to them to make assumptions.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 12-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Top Dog

This blogger has a different (and somewhat irate) view of these events...

Quote:
Tammy and her supporter trespassed onto someone else's property to "rescue" a seemingly ill dog. The timing was perfect - no one was home - giving Tammy and her helper plenty of time to film the whole thing.

Tammy filmed the "rescue", which she then posted all over the Internet - including the Animal Liberation Front 's website.

Oh - in the video she clearly stated that she would be arrested, and in the accompanying email she begged for donations.

Then upon discovery, she refused to return the dog or even release the dog into the custody of the local animal control authorities.

How many legimate rescuers do you know that film their "rescue" and post film of their rescue all over the Internet?

How many legimate rescuers do you know that upload their FILMED efforts to the ALF site?

How many legimate rescuers would refuse to turn over an animal to authorities?

Campaign Summary

As a member of the media, I can tell you without hesitation this:

Tammy Grimes deliberately took a calculated risk (one where the penalties if convicted were low), filmed her whole operation, THEN......

TAMMY GRIMES turned that film into an MARKETING CAMPAIGN with THREE STRATEGIC GOALS:

A) Create an instant supporter base and as much public empathy as possible while turning herself and Dogs Deserve Better into household names
B) Legitimize the THEFT - and taking of other people's animals by so-called rescuers in hte name of "kindness" as socially acceptable
C) Advance the passage of anti-chaining laws
Found here....

http://www.dogpolitics.com/my_weblog...y-gr.html#more

Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Henry Wheeler Shaw
Old 12-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Dafuq?

Wait, so DDB is allied with ALF? Yep, I think I have to most definitely stand by what I've said so far.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 12-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post

Found here....

Well after ready that "argument" against "Theft" I can't help being reminded of the twisted logic of slave owners who argued that abolishists were stealing and law breakers.

Before anyone flames me for comparing Slavery to this dogs sad state....relax and read what I wrote again, I am comparing the logic and thought process; I am not comparing 400 years of slavery to this dogs abuse. Just Thought I would add that before someone gets all worked up.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:54 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post

Found here....

This was my point earlier.