Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Question "What's done is done."

How many of you guys agree with that sentiment? what does it mean to you?

Does it mean:

-1) "you got a puppy and it's cute, now that you got it then we will just show you how to raise it and say nothing about getting the puppy. Now that it's here talking about how you got it is wrong and useless. No one should say anything about why/how/etc you got this puppy! It doesn't matter anymore."

or

-2) "you got a puppy and it's cute, now that you got it then we will show you how to raise this puppy, but you should also realize what you did wasn't necessarily right. And discuss your decision and why you probably shouldn't have gotten the puppy {insert: the way you got it; time you got it; thinking of the future; who you got it from; where you got it; the breed; ect.)."

or

-3) "you have a puppy, what's done is done it's very cute."

or

-4) "{Add your own}"

or

Do you not agree with the sentiment that "what's done is done"? why?

***PART TWO***

Also, what do you think will make a person learn from their past mistakes? As we all (I think) think people should learn and not make another mistake, what do you think is *enough* to make people see their past mistakes.

Do you think you should:

1) just briefly mention why what they did was wrong and why, before telling them how to work on their possible future problems.

2) Briefly say what they did was wrong, before telling them how to work on future problems.

3) Tell them in length, with examples or not, why what they did was wrong. Then go on to tell them possible consequences of their actions. Then tell them how to help now.

4) Tell them in great length how they messed up, why, the consequences that will likely happen due to their actions, how they have added to the problems of dogs now, dogs in shelters, etc.

5) Don't say anything, not like they will change anyways! People are hopeless.

6) Add your own.

Last edited by Babyblue5290; 12-08-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I don't agree.

Too often people try to keep it all happy as it is already bought and home. Which often entails not talking about where it came from to prevent a future 2nd what's done is done. Lot of people on other forums I've seen bring home 2 and 3 badly bred mill, byb dogs cause people were too nice about where they came from to educate.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 12-08-2007, 11:24 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Well, of course what's done is done unless you have a time machine that you've not informed the world about.

We should educate and that means;

1. informing the person that getting a dog from a puppymill/supply store/irresponsible breeder/guy in walmart parking is not okay and here's why...

2. letting them know that they've got a long road ahead of them and offering them books to read, threads to read and people who can be of assistance.

3. being a forum in which we discuss things and not berate people for past mistakes... allowing them to make one and learn from it.. you know, much like life, because we have ALL made mistakes and we have- hopefully- learned from them.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:30 PM
Felurian

I think it lies somewhere between #1 and #2.

The first order of business is to get the pup taken care of properly, THEN tackle the ethical issues. After all, you've got a lot more ethical issues if that pup isn't taken care of - and if we run people off when they need help, then WE have some responsibility for the outcome if it's bad. We could have helped, but we harmed.

Once we help someone get the situation squared away, and they realize we aren't attacking them out of self-righteousness, THEN is the time to delve more deeply into why it wasn't such a great idea to get into the situation.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

How 'bout a second question.

***My feelings****

I don't agree with the general statement "what's done is done." Not because what's done is not done and you can change it, because it seems to go along with a "can't change it so don't even think about it" sentiment. Like you shouldn't even worry about your actions, it doesn't matter.

And the second part I'm a mix between 3 and 5. Mostly 3, but sometimes I feel like some people will never learn because they just don't care.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:43 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I wonder how effective this notion of educating, "in great length how they messed up, why, the consequences that will likely happen due to their actions, how they have added to the problems of dogs now, dogs in shelters, etc." is going to really help a person who is in such a defensive state by the number of posts made attacking his/her person. I wonder how one will really listen when all they hear is how wrong they are and how they've contributed to the problems of dogs. I wonder how we can phrase things so that we are educating and not attacking...

Old 12-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy'sParents View Post
I wonder how effective this notion of educating, "in great length how they messed up, why, the consequences that will likely happen due to their actions, how they have added to the problems of dogs now, dogs in shelters, etc." is going to really help a person who is in such a defensive state by the number of posts made attacking his/her person. I wonder how one will really listen when all they hear is how wrong they are and how they've contributed to the problems of dogs. I wonder how we can phrase things so that we are educating and not attacking...
I don't believe anyone (so far) has agreed with that one.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Are you dead yet?

I agree with what's done is done, to an extent. If someone goes out and gets a puppy from a BYB, chances are they aren't going to take that puppy back just because Chazhound.com forum members say it was wrong. As a forum I feel it is then our responsibility not to chase this person away with scolding, but to offer advice for raising a puppy that might not have the best genetics and socialization behind it.

My opinion lies somewhere between 1 and 2. While I think it's important to bring up the fact that what the individual did wasn't necessarily ethical, repeating it OVER and OVER and ragging on them about it isn't going to be any help. Say what needs to be said and move on, if you (generic you by the way, BB) have something helpful to contribute then say it. Otherwise leave the person alone. Yelling at them isn't going to solve a **** thing.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:19 AM
Are you dead yet?

As for part 2, I think it depends on the person. If someone else has said what they are doing is wrong, then I don't need to throw in another post just to say what a previous poster said, in my own words. If I have advice to offer I'd post it and add a few words of agreement with a post that summarizes my view, if there is one already. Otherwise I'll throw in my view.

I think it's important to realize that often times people feel that they're doing the right thing when they go and get a dog from a bad situation, so they're going to be shocked and defensive when they're told it's unethical.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:04 AM
Fishies!

You know, you shouldn't do that again, due to XYZ. Furthermore, you may have problems due to that... since you now have a puppy however, this is how to keep it in one piece physically and mentally....

While I don't agree with byb or puppymilling I have better things to do than berate the puppy buyer.... like berating the breeder that should know better...