Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-07-2007, 11:44 PM
Top Dog

2 is our limit. 1 per person.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Top Dog

For me, I'd say two or three that were mine. Number of fosters would depend on the individual dogs.

Proud Trainer, Guardian, and Slave To:
Flicka CGC TT CD TDI NA
Pepe CGC TT CD NA CDX OA
Her Royal Highness Queen Lillian The Cat
Old 12-08-2007, 01:10 AM
orange iguanas.

It varies depending on the person, and the dogs we're talking about. To put it broadly: you have too many dogs when you can't properly care for each one... and this means being able to care for them financially, as well as giving them all attention.

For me... I think 2 is all I could handle. *Maybe* 3 if they were very well-behaved dogs. I could probably handle 10 dogs if they all acted like Molly lol, she's so easy to have around. But I don't want to devote THAT much time to my dogs, so I would never have a large number. Plus I know I will have plenty of other animals besides dogs lol.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:34 AM
Top Dog

My family has 4 smaller dogs and I think we could take a 5th. On my own I'd say three is the limit but I'd much prefer to just have 2.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:26 AM
Loves off-leash training!

For me, five is plenty and I'll probably stay with 2-4 once the old ones pass on.

I think that the one-on-one relationship between dog and human is vitally important, and that each dog deserves an hour (minimum) of quality time per day with their person. Younger dogs need even more time as they need additional exercise time. So for a normal person working eight hours a day, sleeping eight hours a day, with an hour transit time, two hours of "self" time (on the computer, showering, cooking, watching TV, etc.) that only leaves five hours for dogs. And that means no more than five dogs (especially given that two hours of "self" time is really not very much).

Do my dogs each get a full hour every day? Not exactly - the younger dogs tend to need more time, the older dogs tend to sleep more and 10 minutes of petting/massage a few times a day is enough one-on-one for them usually. They all get group time where we play games with toys (whoever brings the toy gets the treat!) or group sits/downs, etc. in addition to the one-on-one time.

But if I had unlimited resources, I'd love to build up a rescue/"out to pasture" kind of facility for abandoned, unwanted, unloved dogs. While I don't think that living without the human interaction I posted about above is a good option for a person's own dogs, those poor unwanted dogs would be better off in a facility that catered to their needs as much as possible than to live in tiny concrete runs or wandering around starving on the streets. I have this vision of a facility with lots of employees, huge areas with indoor/outdoor sections, indoors with music or TV or radio, dogs grouped together in successful social packs, etc. It would sure beat being tied up outside on a cold night, wouldn't it?

Anyhow, just a dream .. in the meantime, five dogs is my limit .. *L*

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Old 12-08-2007, 04:14 AM
<--------Orson

2-3 is my limit. Even if money were no object, I don't herd, I don't sled, I don't hunt, I don't breed, or anything that would require more than that.

I couldn't see me hiring anyone to care for my dogs anymore than I could see me hiring a nanny or boarding school for my kids. I have my dogs for companionship, if I didn't have time to be a companion to them what would be the point?

Now if money and SPACE were no issue, then I could DEFINITELY see me having my own 2-3 PLUS 2-3 fosters at a time as long as my own dogs didn't seem to mind
Old 12-08-2007, 05:18 AM
Let it be

^Hiring staff wouldn't be an option for me for my personal pets. However if I'm stinkin' rich I'd forsure have a rescue. So I don't see anything wrong with hiring a staff to help you out with that.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
^Hiring staff wouldn't be an option for me for my personal pets. However if I'm stinkin' rich I'd forsure have a rescue. So I don't see anything wrong with hiring a staff to help you out with that.
Just to clairify, the "staff" is one other person, who is hoping to be his successor as huntsman (huntswoman?) for the pack when my father retires. Its not like we have a service staff for the hounds. However, we don't pay her, the hounds do. The membership fees to join the field (the people who go out and follow the pack) pay her, the repairs on the kennel, the vet bills and the food. All we pay are the taxes on the land. The beagles are a corporation! (Somehow this strikes me as funny, though legally Dad, of course, is the owner of the corporation.)
Old 12-08-2007, 10:30 AM
*Biter*

In the past, I had four great danes of my own (Hootch, Shelby, Mugsie and Dozer) as well as my mixed breed Dexter and my foster danes (anywhere from one to 3 or even 4 at a time). Everyone, including the fosters except for one foster I had that refused to stay indoors, slept inside with me and was free to come in/out as they pleased. I had my own business, so I set my own schedule, which revolved around the dogs and rescue tasks (pulling dogs from shelters, home checks, transporting, etc)....this worked wonderfully for me at that point in my life.

However, now, with working an 8-5 job, I don't have the time I once had so I am not able to have more than 2 dogs right now. My rescue involvement is limited to weekend fundraisers and events right now, as I can't spend any weekday time doing what I used to do. I also am unable to foster right now.

I am working on rebuilding my business again, so hopefully in the future, I will be able to do the things I used to do that made me happy, and my doggie family will increase.

Ditto - 2 year old APBT and Corvus - 7 year old supermutt
I need a signature re-vamp. Anyone up for the task?

Paws Jaws and Wrecking Balls
Old 12-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Naturally Natural

There are a lot of variables to consider
For me, at this point I think my max would be 4-5 dogs, with 2-3 being ideal.

But, that takes into account that I enjoy and focus on a lot of performance sports, and like doing that with my dog. Rah takes anywhere from 2 to 5 classes a week in obedience, agility, flyball, etc. Tracking on my own... now puppy needs obedience and handling classes and schutzhund - there aren't enough hours in the day.

If I had higher numbers, by nature the ywould have to be older dogs with less requirements - I work full time and don't have anyone helping, so it's me and the dogs. I cannot train 5 dogs at a time actively in class, I can't afford to and ther eisn't enough time.

SO I would want 1-2 dogs in active training/showing, and maybe 1-2 others that were retired.

My real limit? How many dogs can I fit in my car in crates Until I get a bigger car, the limit is three, MAYBE four.

ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, VC CDX ASCA-CDX CDX-H RE RL1X RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC FFX-OG

Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD ASCA-CD CD-H BN RN NA RL1 WAC ATT YTT PTT CGC

Bowie's Here Comes the Boom!

http://otchrah.blogspot.com/