Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-07-2007, 08:28 AM

how many are too many? when you go beyond your financial resources for proper vet care, food, quality of a good life for the dog. if you have the resources for many...land for them to run...the heart to give them individual love, then so be it. for me, I know that I can only handle 2. so as mentioned, it just depends on so many factors.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Oh, it's *you*

If money is no object, then staff could be hired and licenses and land be obtained...I'd say the number would be quite large.

If money were no object I wouldn't be wiping my own butt...lol. Certainly I'd spring for hired staff for however may dogs, or horses, or goats, etc that I wanted to have on my land and as part of my life.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 12-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Show Dog

For me it would be 2 maybe 3.Right now its just Teddy and I cant really see another one in the seeable future I like just having the 1 because all my attention and training go on him and I think it formed a greater bond then if I had to split attention and training.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Top Dog

I don't think I would want anymore than 4 at one time, and only 4 as long as I'm living with another person. Three is my own personal limit at this point, with a preference of two. I'm totally capable of handling 10 dogs on my own (have taken care of upwards of 10 before), but I just wouldn't enjoy living with that many as I don't feel as though they would all be getting exactly what they needed.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Water Junkie

At this point, living with my family/school and having 2 other dogs in the house besides mine, my limit would be two. For me thats a resonable amount. You can train two dogs at once with ease, walk two dogs, take two dogs to trials, ect.

In the future, who knows? Depends on if I have a farm with stock, if I'm breeding, rescue work, ect? If I have a farm with stock I think 6-10 would have to be my limit. But even that depends on if I have kids and what-not.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 12-07-2007, 08:29 PM
swimming upstream

If I was alone-my limit would be one or two. Living with others (kids, husband)--two to three. I don't think I could give enough attention to more than three.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Top Dog

Holy crap lol, I watched that video. 36 saint bernards..I would go nuts! Thats a lot of space taken, and a lot of poo.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Top Dog

A few years ago, I had 17 Jrts (5 of them rescues waiting to be rehomed) and a dozen or so horses, which only a few were mine. The rest were in for training. I also had a ton of stray cats, that I took care of.
I was too busy and I quickly downsized in my number of dogs, it wasn't fair to them on any level. Not enough hours in the day. Plus all those dogs stayed in the house at night. 4 in our beds and the rest in crates. There just wasn't enough hours in the day, I started chores (feeding everything on the farm) at 5 am, put dogs out in runs/yards, and worked my first two horses of the day by 8 am. Then I got our son off to school. The rest of the day I swapped between riding and working with some of the dogs, somewhere in there I had to deal with clients, often give lessons and do some housework (yuck) and prepare meals. Many of the dogs didn't have a lot with done with them, although I don't think it was the worst for them. They had nice big runs or yards, friends to play with, kiddie pools to cool off in, fresh bones to chew, lots of sunshine and shade but still.........
I now have 5 which is my limit, I would prefer 3 or 4 but I wont move on older and retired dogs that we have always had to make room for youngsters on the way up. I only have two horses now here on the farm, still feed the strays and all the training horses are boarded elsewhere, so all I have to do is go and train them
Old 12-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Lord Cynical

4-5 is my limit. I've dealt with 3 dobes at one time before, all by myself - and it was fun but tiring.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 12-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Chihuahua Mum

Two is probably my limit. I've cared for two at a time before and that was fine. But I wouldn't be against adding a third, were I lucky enough to have two woofers. Anymore than three, however, and I think I might go nuts (although in my fantasy land 7 or 8 sounds good LOL! ).

Cass.

I've been frosted!

Say NO to animals in pet shops! Rescue a friend instead.
"Raise them to be gentle and they will be gentle. Raise them to be vicious, and they will be vicious.
Problems lie not in the breed, but in the people."
- Dr. Carl Semenic