Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-07-2007, 04:05 AM
Top Dog

I think its based on the owner, and the breed of dog. I think someone would be crazy to have more 4 australian shepherds, or any other very high energy dog.

And about cats, me and my family have 23 cats. They are all very well taken care of, their areas are very sanitary, they get veterinary care, they are fed high quality foods. The city I live in has THE highest euthanisia rate for the state of California, and has one of the top 5 euthanasia rates in the U.S. There are tons of cat rescues, but these rescues are FILLED to the brim with cats...>There are feral, stray, and kittens running everywhere in this city. Nobody seems to understand the importance of fixing their cats, and then they take the kittens to the SPCA< or dump them on someones property. We take in a lot of unwanted cats for that reason. And we are not the only people who have taken in the strays, and who have helped spay and neuter and release ferals (We have spayed several ferals who have been creating more and more stray/feral kittens). Our city actually raised the limit one person can have of cats from 4, to 19. And its not like they even care if someone has more...because we are taking these strays off the streets and giving them a home. (Every cat rescuer and volunteer I know has atleast 10 cats, if not more.).

On to dogs. We have 12, as you can see in my sig. Most are very low energy dogs, and 1-2 hours of play in the backyard tends to be good enough for them (Ages are:11,9,7,7,6,3,3,2,2,2, and two dogs who are older than 6 but age is unknown)..So most of my dogs are considered elderly. But I give the dogs who want and need more exercise as much as they want. They are fed a good food,they were all basic obedience trained, they get out of the house often (As much as we can, atleast 4-5 times a week). And they spend most of the day with atleast one human. I only work part time, and haven't started college yet..and me and my friends hang out at my house..so the dogs are with me all day long, and with my mom all night long when she gets home from work.

SO I will say again, putting money aside, it is STILL based on the human caretaker, and the breed and age of dog/s the owner has.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:35 AM
Gatep

i think as long as i can support them i will own it. i love to have a dog and love playing with them. specially when the time you will see a new born puppy. it's like you're having a new born baby. that's what i feel
Old 12-07-2007, 05:53 AM
overdogged

three is the absolute limit. i think i'd be happier with two.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 12-07-2007, 06:41 AM
harrischrysler

I always thought maybe 7-10. However, money not being an issue would make me a certified nut. You got to have 12-20 sled dogs, and of course a selection of others from there. So 36 is my number. Here's why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADuux...eature=related
Old 12-07-2007, 06:41 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

I think it really, really depends on the person, their time, the dogs, and what the dogs are for. My family had, at one point, over 80 dogs, but the vast majority were my father's beagle pack.

Though they all had their own names, and received a few minutes of individual attention (especially if they asked for it), by and large they were excercised, socialized etc, as a pack. However, controlling a literal pack of off leash dogs is a skill very few people possess (and when I was little, my father actually walked them on a road, admittedly a country road, we never lost one.) It certainly requires lots of space, lots of time, and as my father has gotten older, hired help.

My feeling is that one or two people, with normal dog training skills and pet dogs, keeping them in the house, probably max out at about 4-5. We never had more than that in the house, and I have trouble imagining having more in a house, no matter how large unless they were very small and very low energy.

Personally, I think my limit will be 3. But I have a busy life! And right at this moment, its 1. We are talking about getting a puppy in the summer, if Sarama is mature enough to be a help. But I wouldn't get another dog now, unless it was a situation where there was no one else and the dog's life was at stake.

I will say I always enjoyed telling people when they asked about pets "Well, we live on a farm . . . we have 2 horses, 5 cats, a tame chicken, some peacocks, and oh, 80 some dogs."

Last edited by Lilavati; 12-07-2007 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:02 AM
just call me Nilly

Even if money wasn't an issue, I'm still in an apartment, which means one dog is more than enough for the time being.

In the future though, I think I'd be happiest with two, no more than three.

As for cats, two is my "happy cat" number

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 12-07-2007, 07:26 AM
Puppy Dog

As other said it depends about lot of things.But to me since I am not intrested in breeding or hunting but work with dogs in dog training club somewhere around four- five.I have two dogs now and I am planning on getting another one.But Tea is 8 years fear aggressive,neurotic and often counts as a couple of low energy dogs,Rea is 5 years and high energy dog both have pack mentality and love to push me over the edge with testing the boundaries.And I am planning on buying working line groen.So when groen reach two-three years I my consider another dog.But then it really depends about a lot of other things I dont even want to think about.-like family members who dont want anything to do with my dogs.I also own two cats age 8.5 years and 6 years old who are inside cats.My mother had the same question about them and I told three is a top limit for cats.And counting on getting a third in some three-four years to liven up things for older cats.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:43 AM
Snow Girl

It really depends on what type of dog I have and WHY I have them. If I decide to go further with sledding and build up my own racing line then I'd easily have about 20+ dogs.

If my living situation dictates I can not have a kennel then I'll likely have about 4-6 dogs.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 12-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Top Dog

For me.... living in the city, I think 2 medium size dogs is the max. If I was retired and living way out in the country I could maybe see four, but I still think two would still be ideal.

I think I could care for more if I had too, but for my enjoyment and sanity two is the ideal number.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:20 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I'd have to say that 3-4 would be my limit. I wouldn't want to have too many because I'd like to have the time to spend individually with each one bonding and training. I know for sure there's a toller in my future and hopefully a couple years down the road I want a doberman. If I marry Brendan we'll probably end up with an Alaskan Malamute or a husky at some point too. As far as cats... I think 4 or 5 would be my limit.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle