Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-07-2007, 12:05 AM
Yorkie Love

Default How many dogs is too many?

Forgetting about money... say you had all the money in the world... how many dogs do you think is too many?

There has to come a point where you can no longer socialize, exercise, bond with, and give attention to all your dogs. So where do you think that line is?

1, 3, 5, 1000? you get the picture... give me a number and feel free to give your explanation as well.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:10 AM
BusterLove

I think it depends on the dog and your time.

Like now, I could probablyhave 2 of my own. EVen with Buster's issues I think I have room/time and effort to put into raising a second dog properly. That won't happen because we already have 4 though lol.

I'll probably not have more than 3 or 4 at one time... plus foster's.

The particular 4 we have here atm is a bad idea pretty much. Both boys have DA and harry has mild HA.Mac is a bit skitterish and they can geta real pack mentality when together. It's still a good system that they belong to 3 differnt people. Mum has 2 and my sister and I have one each. sharing the responsibility makes it easy to own them even if their difficult.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:11 AM
Let it be

That depends on if I am thinking with my head or my heart. With my heart I'd take all the needy. With my head I'd say four. Three is enough for now though.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:15 AM
BusterLove

lol may I mention cats is pretty much limitless They're much easier and smaller. I'd like my own again soon

Old 12-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s View Post
lol may I mention cats is pretty much limitless They're much easier and smaller. I'd like my own again soon
Have you ever cleaned a litter box?! LOL

I adore cats and could never imagine being without at least one... but cleaning that litter box sure makes it hard to imagine too many.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:30 AM
Bored Now.

Hmm. For ME my total limit.. ever.. is probably somewhere around four. I just can't imagine being able to give enough attention to more.

Right now it's one. And will be one, for a very, very, very long time. I doubt I'll even get a second dog during Middie's lifetime. Fostering during his lifetime, probably.. when I'm in or already out of college I bet I will.

Anyone else? It depends upon the people, I guess.... there are some people on this forum I bet could have 10+.. they have the endless love and the savvyness and the true dedication for it. For your average, even dog-savvy person, I think 5-7 is a good limit.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:34 AM
BusterLove

lol I handed over litterbox duties to my sister as Ell has picked her as his one and only and I'm sick of doing it when he won't even look at me when she's around lol.

My mum had 27 cats at one time... no actually. She had like 7 cats and too many kittens. PLus 4 dogs... living in a bus lol.
And she looks at me like I'm weird about wanting more animals.
She laughed at me about my fish the other day, then relised when she was my age she'd been able to collect pet sheep/horses/goats/cats/dogs etc and had heaps of them

Old 12-07-2007, 12:39 AM
Top Dog

I think 2 dogs is the ideal number. I have five which really is too many
Old 12-07-2007, 03:28 AM
Are you dead yet?

Right now my limit is one. If I wasn't working, in school, trying to balance a social life, volunteer work and fun time for myself, and was able to stay at home with the dogs as much as I wanted, I'd say 5 would be my limit as far as how much individual attention and training I'd be able to give them.

If I didn't have a house full of performance dogs and I had a mellow breed content to just lay around and be pets, I'd say more than 5. But the border collies are high maintainance beasties.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:25 AM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I think it partially depends upon the dogs you have. I could see having 4. But not with Cider. Cider is so high maintenance she's like 3 dogs all by herself.. Smudge though is like not having one, unless he's coming for cuddles.. I for see having more than 2. But it won't be anytime soon, as Cider couldn't handle it, and I'm not in the position to own more where I am in life.

Which is really really sad.. as there's a 2008 afghan litter that I'd love to contemplate a pup from if the right one was there.. And I was just told about a standard poodle litter that's becoming a possibility out of my favourite agility poodle ever. So hard to say no. But the timing is terrible.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground