Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-06-2007, 06:39 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Sarama's Story

I took a break from studying for the bar to pick up algae tablets for my fish . . . which was really an excuse to take a break from studying for the bar. Sooooo . . . offered to drive my fiance to work, because he works at the Staples right next to PetSmart.

I went into the PetSmart, got my algae tablets, and realized it was 'doggie day,' i.e. the rescue was there. So I wandered to back to see the dogs, maybe scratch one behind the ears.

In the back of the store, between a pit bull cross and a terrified golden mix was this little brindled dog, lying in her crate, calmly watching the world go by with a look of resignation.

Well, I LOVE brindle, so I couldn't resist walking over to get a closer look. Her label said

BEAUTY
8 MONTHS
COLLIE MIX
KIDS-ANY

"Beauty" looked up at me with big brown eyes. Before I knew it, I'd said something along the lines of "How do you think she'd do with cats?" the woman running the rescue said . . . "Why don't you walk her up front and see how she reacts to the cats." So, I agreed to talk her for a walk. She ignored the cats and immediately attacked the water bowls up front. She was so thirsty . . . and dirty . . . and skinny. I walk back to the back and ask two questions "Can I walk her over to Staples" and "Where did she come from?"

I was told that they had picked her up from a rural shelter that morning, where she had had 6 hours left. The rescue was actually full, they'd already agreed to take their max from the shelter . . . but the woman I was talking to saw her on the way out and refused to leave her there to be euthanized. So I asked what was going to happen if they didn't find a foster or a home for her, and the woman said . . . "Well, we'll have to take her back. We just don't have the space." And, of course, she said I could take her over to Staples. So I did.

She walked very nicely on the lead across the parking lot, and I waited for my fiance to deal with a customer. "Beauty" had looked around the store, wagging her tail, and lain down at my feet. My fiance, Mike, came over and looked at her. "That's a really cute dog. I hope she's not ours."

"Beauty" stood up long enough to get a pat, and lay back down. "That's a really good dog," he says.

"Yeah. She's out of time at the the shelter, and they might have to take her back. What if we foster her . . . if it works we can keep her, and if it doesn't, we can give her up to whomever adopts her . . . it shouldn't take too long . . . look at her."

"Ok, but no permanent commitments."

So, I went back and explained that we really wanted to help, but we had elderly cats, and my finace wasn't willing to adopt right now, but we could foster, except that I had the bar exam in four days . . . was there any way they could keep her safe that long? (I had to go out of town for the test)

So, there was an interview, and it was determined that I was fine, and the woman who ran the rescue said . . . yes, we can manage it. So they shuffled her around for four days from house to house (so no one would go over the statutory dog limit, for their neighborhood, I gather.) And I picked her up the day after the exam.

My fiance cooed at her the whole way home from picking her up. And she settled into the house very quickly. She wanted to play with the cats, but not eat them. After two weeks, I asked Mike if he thought we should keep her, and he said "We're keeping her." Well, that's the answer I wanted to hear, so I called the rescue and said that "Beauty" now "Sarama" had a forever-home.

All I know about her from before is that she is from a rural county with a high kill rate. She was about half housebroken, knew not to jump, and had immaculate food manners, so its very likely someone had had her as a pet before. That's all we know . . . that and she was absolutely nuts about water.

But whomever gave her up . . your loss is my gain.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:14 AM
Top Dog

Great idea for a topic! I loved reading everyone's stories and looking at pics.

We had 2 cats already but wanted a dog. A lady I work with rescues dogs and fosters them. She told me to look at petfinder.com. I had been looking for a while, but none really jumped out at me. We decided to wait until we had the privacy fence finished. I continued to look online. One day I saw the ad for Sadie. Lab/border collie mix being fostered. 8 weeks old. Last one of the litter. I called the lady and made arrangements to go meet her and Sadie. As soon as I walked in the woman's house and looked at Sadie, I turned to my husband and said, she's going home with us. Sadie had just had a round of puppy shots that day so was lethargic. We took her home and then I ran up to the pet store for crate, food, toys, etc. When I got home, Sadie was outside and fell in our fish pond. I got her out and she was shivering and would not stop (this was the middle of summer). I took her in and wrapped her up in a towel. She just didn't act like she had any energy, and I would expect an 8 week old puppy to be bouncing off the walls. I figured it was because she had just had her shots that day.

I took the next day off work to get her settled in. She was sick all day. I called the vet and asked him if this was normal behavior a day after receiving shots. He said no and to bring her in as soon as possible. I took her straight to his office. She ended up having 2 different parasites (and had been wormed 2 times). He put her on 4 different medicines and told me to get some protein in her. We were having salisbury steak for dinner, so she got some of that (and wolfed it down). By the next day she was running around everywhere. She was totally fine and we finished all the medication and had a follow up visit to the vet.

I can't imagine now not having her. She is 1 1/2 years old and my baby. She loves to sit on my lap (all 75 lbs of her) and loves to cuddle and sleep with you.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Show Dog

Well I met this woman around the corner from where I lived who bred Pomeranians. We became friends and she made me a deal on a puppy.Well I got Teddy and then found out she got my husband.Best trade of my live.LOL
Old 12-06-2007, 09:52 AM
just call me Nilly

Sierra's still very new, and I've told her story, but I don't mind telling it again.

I'd wanted a dog for a VERY long time, but Matt kept saying "no, now isn't the right time". Because of where I work I see dogs ALL the time, and was constantly reminded that I didn't have one of my own.

I had a dream one night that I had a dog (a lab mix I think) named Sierra. I woke up and laughed at myself, thinking "I'd never name a dog Sierra, I really don't like that name!" A week later, Sierra walked into the store with her foster mom. I fell for her instantly. She was going to be my dog. When I was told her name that just sealed the deal for me.

I fought hard with Matt for him to agree that we could get a dog (he didn't want one in the apartment among other things) but he finally did and we got to bring her home!!!

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 12-06-2007, 10:19 AM
Squishy face

The first dog we got was Coco, a Chesapeake Bay Retreiver. He was from a BYB. He was only taught a few commands, and my dad never taught him boundaries, so of course he had aggression issues and bit lots of people.

Daisy - her story starts when my friend's dad bought a dog over the Internet from some breeder in Oklahoma. Since the dog came from "the sooner state", they named her Sooner. Sooner was supposedly a new breed they were working on called a "red tick lab". This makes me think that Sooner is a red tick coonhound/lab mix, which is why you might hear me say that Daisy is 2/3 lab and 1/3 hound.

My friend's dad bred Sooner at 2 years of age to black lab, and she had a litter of 10 puppies or something, one of which died. Daisy was the last puppy left. We got her at nine weeks of age. Daisy was a shy puppy, she wasn't one of those puppies that was happy and licky and bouncy when they see new people. She just kinda sat there. When I got Daisy I didn't know anything about dogs, so I failed to socialize her, and now I have a 5 1/2 year old adult who I am working with on fear aggression issues. I have learned my lesson, and my next puppy (not for a while) will have the crap socialized out of him.

Benji - My sister went to a new age shop for some reason, and this little dog was there. He was scared and underfed. The shop owner told my sister that whoever owned Benji let him roam the streets and she would feed him hot dogs. The shop owner also said that the man who owned Benji would come pick him up from the shop sometimes and she'd witnessed him hitting Benji and throwing him around. My sister decided she couldn't leave Benji there and brought him home. My mom and I had been at Church, and when we came home we had a new dog. We housetrained him, taught him sit, down, stay, shake, and I am working on roll over. Also, since Daisy is afraid, Benji thinks he needs to bark at and be mean to strangers, and we are working on his issues also.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 12-06-2007, 10:29 AM
Top Dog

My parents bought Milo at a petstore as a birthday present and to "cheer me up" since i was suffering severe depression and was suicidal, though they didn't realize it. Four months old. My mom wanted a wheaten terrier pup, but she knew i loved JRTs. They offered to throw in Milo for free if she bought the wheaten, since he was 4 months old and insane and no one wanted him.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 12-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperdogsmom View Post
Well I met this woman around the corner from where I lived who bred Pomeranians. We became friends and she made me a deal on a puppy.Well I got Teddy and then found out she got my husband.Best trade of my live.LOL
Classic!! Really?? Dear me lol!

Bodhi wasn't planned, I shall put it that way. A happy accident one might say

I know her mum's owner (who also has gran - she rescued gran after she got mum, because previous owner broke a broom handle over her back ).
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 12-06-2007, 12:36 PM
who me?

Talking

When i got out of college and moved back home I really wanted a dog. After a couple of months of convincing my parents I was allowed to look for a companian and walking buddy.

I found Zoey on petfinder living in foster care in wasilla. Below is her posted picture.

So after several phone calls with her foster parents and planning a coworker to pick her up the next time he drove thru anchorage. I got zoey!! one of the best things that ever happend to me. She is my best buddy and we had so much fun together moving from Alaska to florida about a month ago.

And here she is almost a year later.

(she isnt to fond of posing for pictures)
Old 12-06-2007, 12:55 PM
<(<) <()> (>)>

Gipsy was a classic ^^
My mom and I wanted a dog for a really long time - my dad had had dogs as a kid - loved them, but said they take a lot of time and such. It took a while for us convince him to get a pup. So when he finally said yes my mom and bought all the news papers and looked for breeders. We then found one that had chocolate labs and one with yellow and black labs.
Well one April 1st 2000 we went to visit the chocolate labs. The dad was HUGE and was able to jump a fence - so the fenced was extra high He was/is a hunting champian with a lot of energy. Her mum, a very lovable smaller female coming from a long line of show dogs came and played with us. She is so gentle! So we then came into his open basement where the puppies were playing! Gipsy was the first little puppy that ran up to us! =) She had a little in-grown hair on her nose which looked a little like a white pimple. Well after playing with the pups for an hour or so the breeder gentley asked 'soooOOoo.... are you interested?' My dad was the first to answer 'YES! a female!' My mum and I were just like errr OK! So 2 weeks later, on April 14th we brought our little puppy home. No one wanted Gipsy because of that little pimple. Well it cleared up and Gipsy has been with us ever since.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Top Dog

I love all these stories - most of them, I hadn't heard before!

When I knew I was ready for a dog, I gave a list of characteristics to my best friend, who runs a rescue. Female, over 1 year, short coat, 25-45 lbs, good off-leash. She pulls dogs from high-kill shelters, and said she would start pulling dogs that fit my needs; that way, I could foster a bunch and make a decision.

Not two weeks later, she called me up the morning after getting a transport of dogs in from West Virginia and said "I have your dog; she's perfect". I went to meet her that afternoon, and was thoroughly unimpressed. Unlike Lilavati, I didn't like brindle at all. I didn't like the docked tail. She was limping and had a nasty scar on her elbow. But Sam kept insisting this dog was perfect. When I saw a child grab her by her (injured) front legs and lift her clear off the ground by them, which Meg reacted to by just going limp and not biting, I knew she was good-natured!

When I walked in the front door with her that evening to try her, the first words out of my mother's mouth was "Oh, lord. This one is so homely we'll have to keep her. Nobody else would." Meg had never been in a house before, and was scared out of her mind. She didn't know how to do stairs. She clung to me like a frightened child. She housebroke in two days, and quickly learned about house life.

18 months later, she has overcome all of her initial fears, and is a super agility buddy. She goes to work with me everyday, and nobody can help falling in love with her. She is the sweetest, easiest dog I've met, and has done her best to adapt to everything I wanted in a dog. I can't imagine how I ever got along without her.

Meg's first day in Vermont.

Meg, having a nice time on Lake Champlain!