Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Dog Stories

Old 06-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Top Dog

Wink King has an "Arch Enemy"

I took my dog King to visit my mom last week in the nursing home she's in, temporarily, I hope. He's been there a half dozen times and is behaving very well. He kisses all the nurses and attendants and went over and sat down nicely in front of my mother's roommate, and she patted him on the head and said, "Hello dog!" She a cat woman, so that's pretty good for her. Most importantly, he hasn't peed anywhere at all!

He was friendly to everyone, except one guy. He's one of the younger "old guys" there, about 60 or so, and walks very well, but is stooped over, and, to be honest, very odd looking. King was smootching the physical therapist and suddenly he pops his head into the room.

King jumped back like he had been shot, then lunged at "Tom", snarling big time and he let loose with the "big dog bark" that he seems to save for "special occasions"! I had a good grip on his leash, and on the tile floor, he couldn't go anywhere. Tom spun around and dissapeard. I waited a few minutes and we left the room and went out into the hall. King looks down the hall, there's "Tom" about 100' away. He stands up on his back legs and just stares at him. The nurse comes out of a room and says, "Ohh, King, you don't like Tom,do you honey?", and then came over to hug him. He stopped staring at Tom, and after his smootch, went down on all four legs and another nurse says to Tom, "Tom, how come most dogs don't like you?" He says in a weird voice, like Dudley Do-Right, "I don't know, they almost never like me!"

King's ears went up, along with the hair on his back, and he stands up again, and tries another lunge and is barking the "big bark" again. I took him outside, and we leave. I was kind of embarrassed, to be honest.

Yesterday, we go back again, and he's looking for Tom the entire time we are there, but no Tom is seen. He kisses the usual people along with a quadriplegic guy in a wheelchair. He had no problems with him at all. After a half hour, I start to leave. There's Tom coming down the hall. King doesn't see him, and I close the room door and wait till he goes by. As he passes the door, King's head cocks about 45 degrees and the ears come up. He growls very deeply and the son of my mom's roommate laugh's and says, "You aren't fooling him, he knows that Tom is out there!" And then the big dog barking again. I've only heard that about a dozen times in 6.5 years since I got him, so it's a shock to hear it. It's amazingly deep, and since he's kind of a "yipper" type barker, really impressive.

After we got in the truck, and are heading out, he sees Tom standing along the sidewalk, smoking, and he just glares at him as we go past and keeps watching him until he's out of sight. He really looks like a Dobe when the ears are up and he's "working".

This morning, I go back alone, and the nurse tells me that about an hour after I left, a woman brought a certifed therapy dog in to see the residents, and she wanted to go after Tom too, on sight. It's a Golden Ret, and the owner swore she had never acted like that before..

I guess King's not doing so badly at all.. No leg hiking, and a therapy dog hates the same guy King does. Can't ask for much more than that..
Old 06-19-2005, 12:25 PM
Big Mutts

Sounds like King is doing good! I love to see therapy dogs and such. My Gpa was in a nursing home before he died that anyone who owned a dog brought them to work, it was great. There is just something about Tom that dogs don't like, they "know" things about people that we can't.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:30 AM
Felurian

It would be interesting to know more about Tom and his past . . . Dogs know . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-20-2005, 01:55 AM
Top Dog

I don't know what's up with Tom. About all he does is walk around bent over with his hands clasped behind his back, asking if there is any coffee, and going out out to smoke. I'll have to ask the woman in charge this morning if she knows what's up with him.

I really am impressed with how good he's been on the visits. I figured it would be a 100% sure bet he would have whizzed on something by now inside. I guess he's finally "growing up".