Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Water Junkie

Default Socializing: Where Did You Go?

Where did you take your dog/pup?

Little shops in town? Wal-Mart? Grocery Store? Did you ask the manager before going in with your dog? Did they let you?

Did you have a problem with kids/adults running up and not asking to pet your dog? How did you overcome that?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 12-03-2007, 05:38 PM
just call me Nilly

I currently take Sierra pretty much everywhere. The bonus advantage I have over most is she gets to come to work with me, where she interacts with people, kids, other dogs, and gets an experience of noises, smells, etc.

Whenever I'm going somewhere I'm sure she is allowed in (when I'm going to school for any reason other than class, when I'm picking Matt up at the college, the hardware store, etc I bring her. Not to mention our walks are always downtown with lots of people and distractions around.

I've had a few people pet her without asking, but only a few who I couldn't fend off before hand with a "She's actually in training right now, please don't pet her." (I don't mind people petting her, but I hate rude people who just assume, so they don't get to touch her lol)

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 12-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Agility freak!

I am going to have to watch this thread... Seeing as I've got a pup to socialize now..

I took Zoey to agility classes, and since that was dog people ,they didn't just pet her, they asked, and they only pat her outside of the agility ring.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 12-03-2007, 05:49 PM
We are Home.

Everywhere that I could I'm lucky to live in a very dog friendly town with lots of outdoor events like Art Shows and Dog activity days, all kinds of intresting stuff. Plus all of downtown dunedin will let a dog in the store as long as they are well behaved adn they dont sell food. Plus we took him to Petsmart every weekend with our foster greyhounds to meet and greets and we fostered greyhounds. He also went to all my hockey games and practices.

And yes I do. I actually had a problem with it today. The only kids I didnt care about were the hockey kids and thats because he knew them and they knew him. He was basically off leash or running free the whole time because there were only 4 teams in the league (always played the same people) and everyone loved him and him them. But if i dont know the person i put him behind me and tell them to please not touch my dog and if they precede I tell them if he bites I will not be held responsible since there are witnesses that they ran up on him after I asked them not to.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 12-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Yum...

I take her to Petsmart/the quiet park, where no people are at, but TONS of scents are at, (distraction training there!) (people are mainly there when softball/baseball is going on) and Rickers, but she stayed in the car. Thats all I take her. And yes, I have had trouble with people not asking me to pet her, but kids didn't seeing how entergetic she was!! Energy is a plus sometimes!!! Hershey we took him to puppy classes, and I took him to the school petting zoo, he did awesome! All but the pigs. LOL and the chicken. And to get his CGC!!!!! He is very gentle with the kiddies.

Thank you Christine!

A Dog is like an eternal Peter Pan,
a child who never
grows old and who therefore is always available to love and be loved
~Aaron Katcher~

"There aren't any bad dogs, there are only bad owners..." Off of the Movie Underdog
Old 12-03-2007, 05:52 PM
not so newby

I have 3 but have only had 2 since they were 8wks and 7wks (from the spca). I lived in VA when I got them so I took them to Colonial Williamsburg all the time. The people in the different shops kept doggie treats with them so it was perfect. There was always a ton of people there. Even parades depending on the time of day. I took them to softball games all the time. There were always people there with other dogs for them to play with also.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Top Dog

Everywhere. Dance has gone to various really busy parks, transit systems, downtown, outside of Wal-Mart and other busy stores (can't go in), dog shows, dog & puppy classes, pet stores, other peoples' homes, a farm, etc. She goes pretty much anywhere and everywhere with me.

I didn't have a big issue with people touching her without asking up until a month or so ago, mostly because most people thought she was ugly as a young puppy (which made socializing with people really hard), but now that she's older (and prettier) it's become more of an issue. I usually just try to stop them and tell them either "yes, you can pet her" or "no, I'd rather you not pet her" and then I explain to them how to go about it if I wanted them to pet her. She's pretty shy and thinks it's rather rude of strangers to touch her without having a chance getting to know them first, so really doesn't appreciate somebody just bending down over her and touching her. Sometimes people touch her without asking because I didn't notice for whatever reason and didn't get a chance to intervene. Afterward I tell them the proper way to approach a dog and how I don't appreciate what they just did (in a nice way). In a way though I don't mind, because she does need to get used to ignorant people as well as people who are going to be a little more rough than gentle while touching her.

*sigh*, even with all of that she's still quite skittish and shy with people though. Slowly we're overcoming that, but I think she'll probably always be like this.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 12-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Top Dog

I take them to agility trials when I am competing, lessons that I take and also to classes that I teach. Petstores, the bank, hardware stores, farm supply stores etc. Baseball etc that our son is in. Our son's school, right into the class and often with a stop at other classes.
I often take young puppies to the post office and weigh them on their scales, safer than taking them to the vets for a weighing.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:14 PM
treehugging clicker freak

I took Maddie a ton of places - petsmart or the local owned stores, and other pet stores at least once a week. I also took her to stores like TSC and Lowes, and many many parks. A couple farms. I didn't limit myself to these stores in town, every time I went out of town to visit relatives Maddie came with me. New parks, new stores, new houses, new people, etc. I took her to a friends house because she had a pet rabbit She also went (and we continue to go to a lot of these places) out to eat with me with restaurants that had outdoor seating (always asked before) and drive thrus; fast food, banks, etc

I still have a problem with kids running up to my dogs... I think almost everyone does. Maddie was afraid/skittish with kids for a very long time. Actually, I am just now becoming comfortable that she will be okay with children in just about any situation. I had to learn to be very blunt, and sometimes very loud (probs speaking up) -- basically had to take control of the situation. I used to be waaaay too shy to do anything like that (with people, could take control of a room full of dogs haha) but now I don't have that problem.
I used to make my friends go with me places and they would back me up when I said something to the kid's parents. The parents really irritate me because they should be watching their children!
If its just one kid, and its simply a lack of knowledge, I know how to talk to children. That's my job :lol:

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 12-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Bored Now.

Didn't have him as a puppy, but I take him into town and we hang out in quiet places and watch the traffic for the first few visit. Once he got used to fast-moving, scary cars and knew they were normal and safe, we got a bit closer, slowly getting into more populated areas. We took him to the ice-cream place and tied him to the tables on a short lead while we had ice cream, and he got to share my cone with me and meet the dogs there briefly and have many little children petting and coddling him. He pretty much takes anything from a small child.. they can fall on top of him and he doesn't seem too perturbed. It's when they get bigger that leaning over him starts to bug him, though once he's comfortable he's still very laid back and will take all manner of harassment and tormenting. (One kid was trying to pull his ears off for souvenirs, I think, and he acted like he was enjoying it. O.O I would have bitten that kid's hands off. It's very clear that my dog is nicer than me.) I have only taken him into petsmart once... very recently.. when they weren't busy with a belly band. He was pretty darn good, only tried to mark three things--I got him in time for the first two, but the second got his band wet. Not that I blame him, it was fresh pee from a little leg lifter on a carpet covered cat tree.

I do not take him inside any other stores than petsmart, though. I don't always have a belly band on me and even if I do most proprietors would NOT like to even see him lift a leg on their merchandise. Besides, he drools, tries to jump on things, and leaves clouds of hair behind him wherever he goes.. can't imagine that being appreciated!

I'm still not at a point with him where I will feel comfortable having him in crowds, however. I'm really afraid he'll act out, lol.