Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 12-10-2007, 09:10 AM
Felurian

And then there's the question of whether it really IS an APBT or not . . . wouldn't be the first time a dog's breed was mislabled as a Pit.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Top Dog

I get so tired of the blame game. Blame the parents, blame the kids, blame the dog, blame the breed....

It is never just one thing that creates an issue. It is always a combination of factors.

When did humanity loose the simple art of reasonable thinking? For goodness sakes, "LIFE HAPPENS", we can't always control it, and I'm darned glad that we can't. How else would we be able to learn from our mistakes and advance in our understanding if we never met any unexpected events?

Should a child have to experience the trauma of a dog attack? Believe you me, if I could prevent it from ever happening again I would. But the only way that will happen is if we build a dome over humanity and ban dogs entirely.

We can/do try our hardest to prevent these combination of factors that create these situations from ever reaching fruition, but even with the best of efforts put forward, it WILL happen again. And thats a FACT.

Now we (as in humanity) can accept the fact that shite happens and move on after learning not to ever do that again, or we can continue to try to fix life so nothing ever happens to anybody and end up stagnating in our blissfully sheltered state.

Rant over...

Sorry, having a bad day today.
But you see, shite happens

Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Henry Wheeler Shaw
Old 12-11-2007, 06:34 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
And then there's the question of whether it really IS an APBT or not . . . wouldn't be the first time a dog's breed was mislabled as a Pit.
I did say . . . if it was . . . although I think most of the bull breeds are banned in Australia . . of course, then there are the mixes . . .or it could just be labrador retriever . . . since they seem to be mistaken for pits (?!?!?!)
Old 12-11-2007, 06:37 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
I get so tired of the blame game. Blame the parents, blame the kids, blame the dog, blame the breed....

It is never just one thing that creates an issue. It is always a combination of factors.

When did humanity loose the simple art of reasonable thinking? For goodness sakes, "LIFE HAPPENS", we can't always control it, and I'm darned glad that we can't. How else would we be able to learn from our mistakes and advance in our understanding if we never met any unexpected events?

Should a child have to experience the trauma of a dog attack? Believe you me, if I could prevent it from ever happening again I would. But the only way that will happen is if we build a dome over humanity and ban dogs entirely.

We can/do try our hardest to prevent these combination of factors that create these situations from ever reaching fruition, but even with the best of efforts put forward, it WILL happen again. And thats a FACT.

Now we (as in humanity) can accept the fact that shite happens and move on after learning not to ever do that again, or we can continue to try to fix life so nothing ever happens to anybody and end up stagnating in our blissfully sheltered state.

Rant over...

Sorry, having a bad day today.
But you see, shite happens
You may be having a bad day, but I agree. I think its a huge problem with our soceity today that no one realizes that sometimes accidents happen and no one is enough at fault to be punished. Sometimes, all to often, bad things happen. It's life. If you built a dome and took away the dogs, people would just fall in the shower. Things just happen sometimes.

For that matter, sometimes someone is at fault, but it can be dealt with through the tort system, or, in the case of parents, through their own guilt and grief . . . no need for criminal charges.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Banned here too - doesn't necessarily mean you couldn't find one if you looked hard enough.

You're right. But I've got a friend who lives in Sydney (who used to own APBTs here before she got married & relocated) who states that the laws getting this breed into that country are more strict than any other country she's ever lived in.

As for the dog, I've got a "1 bite and you're resting in the dirt" policy. So should the dog be euthanized? Sure.

But I got pissed off a few months ago when some parish workers, who were spraying the ditch behind my hosue, decided to hang over my privacy fence and whistle and holler at my dogs. When the sheriff's deputy arrived, they got in trouble but not before I got a warning that if one of them happened to fall into my yard and got bit, I would be held completely liable. So if y'all had read about that in the newspaper, would it still have been my fault? If some dodo idiot fell into my yard (which IMO is trespassing & even threatening to me) and got bit by any of my dogs?

And again, great post, DryCreek! As long as humans have interaction with animals, injuries to both sides will happen. No matter what, people will be scratched and bitten and animals will be injured in a variety of ways whether intentional or accidental. That's life.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:55 AM
Active Pup

I hope that they don't blame the dog !!!! pore dog

http://dogydogworld.forumotion.com/index.htm

please spread the word. Thanks everyone Smile
Old 12-18-2007, 08:09 AM
Just try me..

I too hate the whole blame thing. Why do we have such a need to point fingers? Why especially when it comes to dog bites?
Old 12-29-2007, 12:28 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilavati View Post
This was the point I was trying to get at. I perhaps used the wrong language. I did not mean that kids are stupid (in fact, they are quite clever, that's part of the problem) . . . and yes, they perhaps possess common sense . . . they just don't USE it when they should. Yes, the kids know they are supposed to do it . . . and they do it anyway.

I also grew up on a farm, and ran around pretty much loose. I was well taught. I DID get bitten by a dog, and the event was totally my fault. I was 8 and I knew it was my fault. The first thing I said, once I got over the shock, was, don't blame Toby, it was my fault. I don't blame my parents, my grandmother (who's dog it was) or Toby, the dog, for getting bitten. I blame myself, and I blamed myself then. I knew better, but I was 8 and not thinking, and I did what I KNEW I was not supposed to do.

It being the time and place it was, no one thought to blame my parents or my grandmother, or come after the dog. They stiched me up, (it was not a very serious bite) and told my grandmother that if I didn't have any sense, she should keep the dog away from me. (Unnecessary, I treated that old dog with immense respect until they day he died).

I probably would not have dangled my legs in the yard of a strange dog, or a dog known to be mean. (Definately not if it was known to be mean). But I'm quite sure that there are children who have been told better, especially not farm kids, who would do so. I grew up with a deep understanding that animals are generally nice, but unpredictable.

We don't have the facts. But the automatic blaming of the parents isn't fair either. Perhaps they never dreamed he would do such a thing . . . I did lots of things my parents never dreamed I'd do . . . I was their first child, and they were always learning that I could get into the most amazing scrapes . . . There may be good reasons to blame the parents . . . or there may not be. I mostly object to the knee-jerk reaction that if a child is hurt it is automatically the fault of 1) the parents, 2) the goverment, or 3) Society, 4) Whomever was nearby or owned the property. Sometimes it is the fault of one of those. Some times its the kids fault. Sometimes its no one's fault because the kid didn't have the judgement to even know there was danger (or the danger was inobvious enough that most people wouldn't know) and accidents happen.

We can't protect our children from all risks, I'm I'm rather convinced that we shouldn't try. One because a lot of risks are very small risks, and two because I know how I learned. My parents told me not to do things, and sometimes I listened . . . and sometimes they told me not to do something. I did it anyway, and I learned that I should really, really listen to my parents.

I think I had very good parents, who gave me about as much responsibility as I could handle . . . enough that I could learn through experience, but not enough that I could get into REALLY dangerous situations. But that's a tough call for parents to make . . . you may know your kid very well, but luck is a factor.

We simply don't know enough about this situation to judge.
I totally agree. It may not have been anyone's fault. Not everything that happens has one person to blame.

I also agree w/ everthing said here about kids. I am and early childhood major. I study child development. People give kids way too much credit when it comes to processing information and blame kids for things they honestly cant help. Even teenagers, though they appear adult-like and can reproduce their brains arent fully developed and the CANT think as resposibly as an adult. That is why they do the things they do. If his parents arent big animal people and they dont own dogs maybe they never gave him a reason to be afraid of strange dogs. Doesnt make them bad parents. I grew up in the country w/ a ton of dogs around. Some ours, some neighbors', some strays. I was never told to be leary of dogs or animals. I wasnt afraid of anything and I would pet any dog. I somehow new how to approach a dog and to be careful and read they're reaction before reaching a hand out but I just figured that one out on my own. I still think I had good parents.

Not everyone's life revolves around dogs. Some people never talk about dogs w/ their kids or anyone else. Not saying they shouldnt (they should) but not thinking to talk to them about it doesnt make them irresponsible. Maybe it never came up.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:47 AM
Top Dog

It seems natural that dogs will bite when provoked....some sooner than others.

Kids often do things they're not supposed to do because they think they can get away with it, because they have little self-control, etc. Maybe they think they can get away with teasing the dog because everyone who has told them not to isn't anywhere around at the moment. Just like they get away with tormenting their little sister when no one's within earshot.

I don't know why some dogs bite when pushed to their limit and others 'attack'. I would think most dogs would eventually bite, but I just don't know what causes some to go beyond that bite to mauling.

Being a parent, I think most parents whose child is seriously injured or killed in any kind of accident probably is constantly running over all the things they could have done/should have done differently to prevent it. It must be terrible to have to try to come to grips with having a child killed by an accident and ever lose the feeling of guilt. Something I hope I never experience.