Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 12-01-2007, 03:50 AM
Active Pup

Default My puppy peed on me while I was sleeping

I adopted a chihuahua who is now about 16 weeks old.

So I was sleeping, the puppy was looking for a place to pee... she walked onto my chest and peed. Not just a nervous piddle, but a full pee session.

I have never had a dog pee on me. Besides the pee on my chest, the pup has also peed on my wife twice. I understand a dog peeing on a carpet or other "bad" place. But this was me, the pack leader!

I'm doing the typical crate training, but it's obviously not working.. or I'm doing something wrong. Any tips for other forms of training an indoor dog?

Thanks, John
Old 12-01-2007, 06:09 AM
Top Dog

I'm sorry but that's funny ok I'll stop, You say your crate training, that means the puppy should be in the crate when your sleeping so he can't pee while you are not conscious to stop him and bring him out. He also probably can't hold it through the night so you should set your alarm to get up and take him out half way through. Just make sure to crate him when your sleeping or cannot otherwise watch him so he'll have no accidents.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 12-01-2007, 08:00 AM
Show Dog

Maxy is correct. You probably shouldn't have been asleep with a 16 week old puppy loose in the house. Of course that doesn't really explain why the dog actually targeted you. That does seem odd. Was it during the day or at night?

How often do you take the pup out? At 16 weeks I'd still be taking her out every two hours during the day whether she seemed to need to go or not. Maybe even more often. And crated at night. Avoiding a situation where they need to hold it is the best way to avoid accidents (or outright assaults ) and instill the notion that outdoors is where they're supposed to take care of their business.

-Heywood Banks, Fluffy
Old 12-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Top Dog

Pretty smart I'd say !!! Sure got your attention didn't it !?

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Ahhh....you haven't truly experienced all the joys of puppy owning until you've been peed on LOL

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 12-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Top Dog

I agree with the above advice. In case you were wondering, I'd guess your puppy peed on you to get attention - maybe instead of barking at the door or ringing a bell, she's learned that to tell you she has to go, she should go on you!
Old 12-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Top Dog

I am sorry but that cracked me right up.
I am pretty sure the potty session of the pup was fully your fault.I am assuming that you were not sleeping on the floor. Correct?Therefore you were on a bed/couch. Most beds and couches are high enough off the floor that there is no way a 16 week old chi could jump up on. So I am assuming that you fell asleep with the puppy on the bed/couch with you on it? A puppy that young and small can't jump off an object that big without hurting itself. Therefore if it had to go you really gave it no choice but to pee on you/ beside you. Puppies that young can't hold it for long. Again, I am assuming this, but if this was the scenario then thats why the puppy peed on you. Next time while you sleep put the puppy in the crate, once the puppy is older he can sleep with you when your asleep.
~Viv
Old 12-02-2007, 03:10 AM
HarleyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
I adopted a chihuahua who is now about 16 weeks old.

So I was sleeping, the puppy was looking for a place to pee... she walked onto my chest and peed. Not just a nervous piddle, but a full pee session.

I have never had a dog pee on me. Besides the pee on my chest, the pup has also peed on my wife twice. I understand a dog peeing on a carpet or other "bad" place. But this was me, the pack leader!

I'm doing the typical crate training, but it's obviously not working.. or I'm doing something wrong. Any tips for other forms of training an indoor dog?

Thanks, John
4 words. Take Her Out More!

Pups need to go out every 2 hours...sometimes less with small breeds like Chi's. If she's on the bed with you, and obviously can't get down, where else do you expect her to go?
Old 12-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Active Pup

I was slacking on the crate training, but let me also explain a few things...

My wife was awake and the dog walked away from her, onto me (asleep) and peed on my chest. If the dog had kept walking, she could have gone down the "stairs" we put next to the couch. Her and her sister use them 10 times a day to get onto the couch.

So I guess the final answer is that I kept her out of the crate too long.

I have a follow up crate question... after letting them out of their crates, how long do you wait for them to relieve themselves before giving up and putting them back in the crate? Thanks for all your help, I'm glad I could make you guys laugh with the story
Old 12-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
I have a follow up crate question... after letting them out of their crates, how long do you wait for them to relieve themselves before giving up and putting them back in the crate? Thanks for all your help, I'm glad I could make you guys laugh with the story
Wait? Wait for what?

Walk her until she goes to the bathroom. She will go eventually. If you stand still, she won't go. If you walk, she will.