Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-08-2004, 06:56 AM
Active Pup

Originally Posted by Iluvmydogsforever04
Hi,
We feed ares pedigree is that good?
There is a great article that really explains in depth about the basic practices of the pet food industry (including Pedigree). It is called "What's really in pet foods" and you can find it at www.api4animals.org . It is also copied by permission at my signature site. Be prepared to be Shocked!
Old 08-12-2004, 08:45 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena
Is Pedigree a good food? Let's just say Owen and Titan would eat a diet of hotdogs and jelly doughnuts before I allowed them to eat Pedigree.

Pedigree is one of the worst things you can feed.
But Serena, we know you'd at least feed them Hebrew National hot dogs! ;}
Old 08-12-2004, 05:18 PM
Top Dog

Once again, I recommend Wellness.. it contains human grade ingredients, no antibiotics or hormones...and alot of other goodies..

Other good choices would be:
Wysong
Solid Gold
Old Mother Hubbard
Canidae

The worst ones are IAMS, Pedigree, Eukaneuba, and other brands that you can buy in any supermarket..yeah...to say the least..they BLOW..
Old 08-13-2004, 08:49 AM
Felurian

Pitbulliest, don't forget Hill's Science Diet on your list of foods that BLOW!
Old 08-14-2004, 07:33 PM
Are you dead yet?

Well, Ripley is now going to be switched to raw feeding for a 'trial run' to see how he does. I've got the time to put into making sure he gets a balanced diet, & it's one of the few things he doesn't turn up his nose at.

Edit: ohhh yeah, Science Diet, the corn meal sprayed with fat? Yep, I'd say that belongs on the list.. Ripley is mildly allergic to corn, and when I got him he was eating SD... His condition improved so much after I got him off of it, he stopped itching...

Last edited by RD; 08-14-2004 at 07:35 PM. Reason: oh yeah
Old 08-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Felurian

Well, you did say "hot dogs and jelly donuts," so I went with your premise. Either way, most commercial dog foods and the companies who push them are full of baloney! ;}
Old 08-15-2004, 08:12 PM
Top Dog

Oh yeah ...Science Diet sucks too..lol
Old 08-26-2004, 01:56 PM
Active Pup

Default Nutrition is a key to a long life for dogs

Hi-

I read a lot of good ideas here at the forum about what food is best to feed your dog. The ongoing debate about BARF vs. home made vs. store bought premium foods provoked me to do some research. My preference is to make food from top quality meats and veggies for my dogs. I also like to use supplements which are helpful in summer when allergies from the grass pop their itchy symptoms into play

I posted some information at http://dogs-4life.com/HealthyDogsGourmet.htm
about healthy diets and some comparisons that between the different options that might help. It's in the Healthy Dog Gourmet link on the homepage
It's worth the extra effort to make sure that your dog gets quality, no preservative nutrition to keep his immune system strong and to help him live a long life.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:39 AM
Top Dog

I feed them California Natural, partly for trying to help with Molly's alergies and it was one of the few "high quality" foods they actually would eat, and not give them horrible gas. I tried Royal Canin, and King refused to touch it, and I caught him lifting his leg on it one night. Neither Molly or King would eat Solid Gold at all, but at least King didn't whizz on it! The owner of my dog's mother had all 13 pups and her eating a cheapo local brand of dog food, donated by the manuf to them, as it was getting out of hand, between the shots and the food (Apparently all the pups but King were big eaters), she was going broke. They seem, regardless of what I try to give them, to like the cheaper stuff a lot better. Getting King to eat anything other than baked or fried chicken is a joke sometimes, but he eats Little Champions beef and gravy pretty well. He cares less about food than any dog I have ever seen, Molly eats constantly, out of nervousness, I guess.

My last dog made it to 14.5 on IAMS, so how bad could it be? He ate tons of it, literally! Go for a ride? Gus ate like one of those starving dogs on animal cops. Go for a walk? Same deal, starts eating furiously. Come back from a ride/walk, drink and eat like he was starved. Anytime he got excited, he ate about a half bowl of food each time, about 8 cups a day. Never weighed more than 75 pounds and had regained weight after starting Accupuncture treatments from 63 back to 73 just before we found out he was loaded with cancer, and 10 days later, we had to put him down. The improvement in movement alone seems to have proven that the accupuncture really works..
Old 08-27-2004, 07:25 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog4life
Hi-

It's worth the extra effort to make sure that your dog gets quality, no preservative nutrition to keep his immune system strong and to help him live a long life.
And don't forget about not getting a steady diet of carcinogenic contaminants from many commercial dog foods!