Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 07-30-2004, 02:38 AM
Dog Spoiler

Default Dog Diet

I've read lots of articles on dog food and whats good and whats not. What are you feeding your dogs?
Old 07-30-2004, 02:42 AM
Felurian

Mine get Innova and the puppies get a big bowl of calf milk replacer every morning. They also get leftovers, and eat anything they catch except barn rats.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:38 AM
Dog Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Mine get Innova and the puppies get a big bowl of calf milk replacer every morning. They also get leftovers, and eat anything they catch except barn rats.
I have a couple of questions if you don't mind answering them.

Don't you ever get worried that the things your dogs catch may contain diseases?

What is the price range of Innova dog food and where can I get it?

Thank You
Old 07-30-2004, 07:15 AM
Felurian

This is a farm and they're going to catch things and eat them, especially when you consider what kind of dogs they are. You have to remember, too, that dogs are not susceptible to a lot of things just by virtue of their unique digestive systems. They're scavengers and hunters by design. If I were in a city where people put out poisons and there are a lot of chemicals being ingested by wild animals I would worry, but what they catch lives on our land and we don't use any of those things.

The Innova's about the same price as Iams or Eukanuba. If you'll go to www.naturapet.com there's a locator where you can find a source for it. They're a pretty responsive company, too, so if you don't see an outlet near you they would probably drop ship. You can always try to get your vet or a local non-chain store - maybe even a health food store - to carry it, too.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:00 PM
Top Dog

I'd like to start off by saying that if anyone is thinking about having their dog switch to IAMS or EUKANblah... I suggest you DO NOT DO THIS for the sake of your dog. Iams is a very low quality food with alot of fillers/byproducts/hormones/coloring, etc. Its not healthy and the teeth cleaning formula contains sand (way ta go IAMS ) Not to mention, IAMS has been doing some lousy and cruel animal testing lately that they are being sued for by more than one individual/group.

Now back to the good foods. If anything, I always find myself suggesting Wellness. It contains no additives and hormones and all the meats are human grade quality. Have you ever smelled the stuff? Yeah thats right it stinks like actual fish or lamb..because its much more natural than the stuff you buy at Walmart or your local grocery store.

Other natural and good qualities include:
Wysong
Solid Gold
Canidae
Nature's Choice
Old Mother Hubbard (created Wellness)
Essex Cottage Farms
Urban Wolf

Besides dog food, I like to cook for my dogs when I have the time. Chicken hearts, kidneys, gizzards.... ground beef, beef heart, beef liver....chicken wings and thighs....etc..........with veggies and some rice..mix it all and add about a teaspoon of eggshell powder...
(however, if you're going to prepare home cooked meals for your dogs, you should probably make sure to analyze the nutrience levels and do some research since you want to keep the ph and ca ratios constant = 1.2:1 ca to ph...not to mention keeping up healthy levels of fat, carbs, and especially protein.

Good Luck.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:35 PM
Active Pup

Default Other foods to consider

Hi, I just want to throw out a big basic AMEN to the previous posts. I wanted to take a minute to include a few excellent foods not previously mentioned. Here goes: Eagle Pack; Back to Basics; Wellness; Blackwood 2000 (formulated by the ORIGINAL formulator of Iams); Precise Plus; Flint River Ranch; Regal. These are all foods that meet 4 important criteria. 1. Human grade ingedients. 2. Naturally preserved. 3. Sequestered or Chelated minerals. 4. Solid business philosophy (nutritional needs of the animal first, not soley profit driven).
If you're interested in raw diets, a good place to go is www.rawnaturaldiet.com .
The only drawback to all of the above mentioned products is that they are basically dead. Now some of them do incorporate Probiotics and digestive enzymes to the end of their process, and in that sense have some "living" value. But the "Dietary" enzymes, which are found abundantly in all live foods, i.e. 'live kills', fruits, veggies etc, are gone. Without them, the body does not have adequate resources to make repairs, heal, and keep up with all its metabolic demands. For growing puppies, they play an important role in the proper distribution and utilization of nutrients. To find out more, see my siggy site.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:50 PM
Felurian

I'd like to emphasize, too, that liver and kidney is really not an optimum choice of organ meat for dogs - or humans for that matter. The liver and the kidneys are filtering organs that collect all sorts of toxins that enter the body, and some are stored and concentrated in the liver and kidneys.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
I'd like to emphasize, too, that liver and kidney is really not an optimum choice of organ meat for dogs - or humans for that matter. The liver and the kidneys are filtering organs that collect all sorts of toxins that enter the body, and some are stored and concentrated in the liver and kidneys.
So I treat my dogs at times with Cow or Lamb liver... is that dangerous? I get it free from my 4H leader cause she raises'butchers cows/lambs... which is why I use it quite often...?
Old 08-07-2004, 09:50 PM
Iluvmydogsforever04

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredhead (DOG LOVER)
I've read lots of articles on dog food and whats good and whats not. What are you feeding your dogs?
Hi,
We feed ares pedigree is that good?
Old 08-07-2004, 10:14 PM
Are you dead yet?

I second that..

Ripley eats a variety of foods, Natural Balance, Royal Canin and Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul. He's a somewhat picky eater and seems to like a variety, and he's in excellent shape, so that's what I choose to do.