Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 11-25-2007, 08:04 PM
Top Dog

Default Boxer energy

I love Boxers, they are such goofs i just love them so much and would like to maybe own one someday. My only concern is that they are a Brachycephalic breed they might not be active. i hope to do lots of hikes and trails and want my dogs to come so I was wondering if it affects them as badly as the other Brachycephalic breeds like Shih-Tzus, pugs etc. Boxers always seemed really active to me I never even considered them the type of flat faced dogs that pugs are, but they are and that concerns me. So anyone know about their activity and breathing?

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 11-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

i have known a number of boxers that are extremely active in sports and in general. hiking, frisbee, schutzhund, agility, and a lot more. they handle it ok.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 11-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Twin 2.0

Holy crap you can't get a boxer to slow down hardly! They aren't as squishy faced as many of the other Braccy breeds. You just have to watch them in hot weather, but for the most part they just go all day long without a problem.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 11-25-2007, 09:35 PM
just call me Nilly

Haha Boxers? Activity? Try getting them to STOP! lol

They're definatley in the breeds I think of as ones I'd love to have but probably wouldn't be able to meet the needs of.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 11-25-2007, 09:51 PM
Top Dog

Honestly, Boxers are by far the most energetic breed I've been around. I find it next to impossible to get them to relax for a few minutes.

Ripley
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FDCh-G
Keira CGN
Old 11-25-2007, 09:56 PM
Are you dead yet?

Boxer puppies are impossible to exhaust. Once they hit 3-4 I find that they settle down a bit, at least the males do.

Elway is like 8-9 years old and he's still able to keep up with me and the Border Collies, but he also enjoys settling down when I settle down.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:56 PM
Top Dog

You might want to tell Layla, our boxer that she isn't supposed to be so active with that mug of hers! Gunnar our GSD can't hold a candle to the amount of get up and go that Layla has. We go for lots of hikes and she does fine. In the summer we tend to hang out by the lake so she can cool off when she needs to but she does fine. Living in Minnesota it's not that big of an issue with the heat since we only get about two weeks of super hot conditions.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Top Dog

Boxers are a VERY active borderline HYPER breed!
Old 11-25-2007, 10:31 PM
orange iguanas.

They definitely have energy! Molly is almost 11 years old and while she's easier to tire out, she still loves to play fetch and run laps around the yard!

My sister's boxer is 3 years old and has FINALLY started to chill out a bit. She still has an enormous amount of energy... she's just better at containing it when in the house, lol.

Aaand... my brother has a 1 year old, and a 12 week old... I don't even know how to describe how insane the 2 of them are. They get brought to the dog park every day and even after being there for an 1+ hours, they still have energy to burn!

It's almost like they never leave the puppy stage lol, they always have energy.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:57 PM
Bored Now.

Agreed with the above. A friend of mine had a boxer as a kid.... god I still remember that dog. (He was quite handsome.. a lovely dark brindle almost reminiscent of a liver chestnut horse) All the times I saw him he was jumping around. Literally. He jumped so high he nearly touched the ceiling, and acted like the world was his trampoline.