Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Active Pup

Default Choosing a first.

hello everyone!
this is my first post on the board, but based on the great information i have found in different online communities for different things (I'm an avid fisherman) I'm sure I will get great info from all of you.
My girlfriend and I are looking for our first dog together. Before I get into living details here are the breeds on our list:
Lab
Rot
Vizsla
Boxer
Pit
Mix of any of the above.

now for details of environment. we live apart still, and the dog will be with me. I will be living in a house with a proper yard. there will be 6 guys in all living there. there is currently a 3-4 year old lab/pit mix female living there. she has grown up with several different dogs, both older and younger then her. most recently a lab puppy. there is always a decent number of people coming and going from the house, due to its central location and we are all surfers, so sociability is a must. we have some chickens, but they are in their own pen, and not free range around the yard. the dog will be predominately outside once it is old enough. but that can possibly change when we move elsewhere in the state (california) for my girlfriend to go to Med School. we are looking for a dog that can go anywhere with us. the beach, hiking, the park, etc etc. a dog we can let off lead and throw the ball for and take swimming in the water. my girlfriend has grown up with Ridgebacks so she is used to bigger dogs while i have only lived with smaller dogs. all the above mentioned dogs have great traits IMO but we cant decide upon which is best. also important is we would like to try to get the dog from a rescue/pound as a puppy. and not from a breeder/pet shop. but, breeders can be considered, depending on reason why. so far most of the info i have has been based on what i have found online and from my aunt who shows her Rottweiler's competitively.

all that being said, I look forward to hearing your opinions.

thanks for your help

-Chuck
Old 11-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

Water = Lab or Golden !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Felurian

Chuck, from what you've described, a search of rescues for the ONE dog that's right for you sounds like the best choice

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-24-2007, 12:23 AM
Top Dog

I second Renee on that one!

If you need help in finding a rescue, PM me your zip code - I have a lot of contacts!

-Rosefern

Proud Trainer, Guardian, and Slave To:
Flicka CGC TT CD TDI NA
Pepe CGC TT CD NA CDX OA
Her Royal Highness Queen Lillian The Cat
Old 11-24-2007, 01:35 AM
Let it be

Rescue all the way! You'll meet that dog that makes your heart stop. Some of the world's greatest dogs are in a shelter just waiting to be picked. You'll find all those breeds there and every mix and cross
Old 11-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

My finace and I agonized over which breed to get . . . . and then we met Sarama, and she was the Right Dog. She's a rescue, and not even a mix of any of the breeds we considered. She's just . . . perfect. Everything on our 'must have in a dog list' is present, and nothing on our 'must not have'.

So, unless you have your heart set on a purebred (at which point check out purebred rescue first!) I'd hit the rescues. You'll find the perfect dog . . . there are so many out there.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:25 PM
Active Pup

thanks for your help everyone! I will keep your suggestions in mind.
happy hollidays!
Old 11-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Top Dog

Hiya Toonk, hope you love "rescue" breed too!

If you could take photos of the dog you got, we will glad to great him/her here.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Top Dog

Being a Golden snob for over 50 years , it wasn't until I lost my Chip that I went to Petfinder ....Ollie was waiting for me ...sent from the rainbow Bridge.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/