Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-18-2005, 09:20 AM
Top Dog

I don't have time to post much now...gotta run, but I'm coming back to this one. I absolutely have always seen every emotion, practically that we have in my dogs. In fact I have seen it in lots of mammals. It had a little different flavor in some ways, but nonetheless, every emotion.

Recently, in my dog magazine as well as a special program on a science channel, it was discussed how animal behavior scientists have come to the conclusion that all mammals experience most, if not all of the same types of emotions we do. It has been necessary for survival. They showed pictures of dogs and other mammals showing expressions of dejection, despair, saddness, fear, joy, anger. Charles Darwin noted coinciding or common body language in all mammals indicating all the same emotions.

So, for a long time, it was thought, and probably still is that we just interject our wish for similarity of emotions in our animals, but many respected scientist do not see it as simple as that and in fact, believe, as many of us do, that our pets, as well as all mammals do experience these emotions, albeit with a different background, due to their experiences and frame of referrence.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:23 AM
Puppy Dog

I was CONVINCED that my dog feels love for me because yesterday when i got up to get changed to go out for a bit to do some shopping, the second i started putting on clothes my dog started making whimpering noises (you know the way dogs cry) and for the first time she actually bit the back of my jeans and wouldn't let go when i went towards the door.

If i as much as look in the direction of her she starts shaking her tail and sprints right upto me.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:42 AM
Felurian

I'll let Doberluv tackle the scientific evidence, and I'll contribute the esoteric.

Read this, from Sonnets from the Portuguese. Then think about your dog(s) and I think you'll find it describes them very well.

XLIII

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints,--I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life!--and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-18-2005, 09:48 AM
no touchy

I do believe animals feel emotions. I believe they can be sad, mad, and happy. You should see my lab when I'm mad at her. She gets the saddest look on her face.

I don't believe in evolution and I don't believe that we need a scientific explanation, I believe they have emotions.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:29 AM
Top Dog

I feel that they have all of our emotions .....plus maybe a few more we don't have !
Old 06-19-2005, 07:32 AM
Active Pup

this is a true story,many yrs.ago this man and is dog were seen everywhere together, always.,he had gotten the dog as a pup and they were never apart.The man took sick,and later died.The family knowing the two were together constantly took the dog to the cemetary for the burial .For months after the dog would be missing, the family would find him at the cemetary laying on the grave.Then one day no dog anywhere,never to be seen again......... animals understand much more than we give them credit for.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:45 AM
OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!

i think dogs can also have emotions and feelings..I know my dog does. When he is mad he shows it by not wanting to b around any1 or just pouting.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:47 AM
OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen
this is a true story,many yrs.ago this man and is dog were seen everywhere together, always.,he had gotten the dog as a pup and they were never apart.The man took sick,and later died.The family knowing the two were together constantly took the dog to the cemetary for the burial .For months after the dog would be missing, the family would find him at the cemetary laying on the grave.Then one day no dog anywhere,never to be seen again......... animals understand much more than we give them credit for.
Wow, never heard that one before...but I think it is true what you said at the end "animals understand much more than we give them credit for" i totally agree w/ you.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:07 AM
Top Dog

I too believe that dogs have emotions & feelings. Just with my own 2 I see it all the time. They know when I am happy or sad and their responses are different for each. When I have been very down it is like Farley & Chloe have a private meeting to see what would be the best way to help me with my pain - either Farley's goofiness or Chloe's gentle snuggling. And they always make the right choice.

I have had dogs who expressed sadness when we would lose another furpal. Both Farley & Chloe were depressed when we lost my hubby. I have also seen a big difference in Chloe when we go visit the nursing home. At home she can be very excitable & is always putting her paws on our laps, etc. When I take her to the nursing home she is very calm & gentle with the residents and never attempts to put a paw on them.

Many years ago I had a Great Dane whose entire demeanor would change when a little boy with CP would be at our house. He would totally ignore everyone else & totally focus on John-John. He would very gently lay that big head of his in his lap and let him pat, poke & prod to his heart's content. Listening to John-John's sweet laughs while that big galoot tolerated whatever he did was wonderful.

So yes, I agree that dogs feel love, saddness, empathy and alot of emotions -perhaps a little differently than humans but emotions just the same.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:26 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints,--I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life!--and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Fogert the scientific stuff. We dog people already know all that. The scientists are just a little slower than we are. LOL. That beautiful work, Renee, says it all. I've always loved that and never thought to connect it to my dogs. How perfect.