Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-24-2007, 07:23 PM
Big Dog

Default Canine Influenza exposure

my mother in law's miniature poodle has canine influenza, diagnosed today due to sever hacking/cough. She just spent 3 days with us, and Seger, as well as a 7 month old goldendoodle and 11 year old bluetick hound of my sister in laws.

I hadn't even heard that dogs can get a "flu" and now read that its always passed on to other dogs when exposed, 80% get symptoms and is 8% fatal!

Anyone had their dogs diagnosed with this??? I guess we have 2-5 days to see if Seger gets symptoms. He's 13 months old now.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:24 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I've never heard of it. Fingers crossed that all will be well with Seger!

Old 11-25-2007, 08:32 AM
Love my pets

I found this on one website:

What is canine influenza?
Canine influenza is a highly contagious respiratory infection of dogs that is caused by a virus. The canine influenza virus is closely related to the virus that causes equine influenza and it is thought that the equine influenza virus mutated to produce the canine influenza virus.

Two clinical syndromes have been seen in dogs infected with the canine influenza virus***8212;a mild form of the disease and a more severe form that is accompanied by pneumonia.

About the mild form***8212;Dogs suffering with the mild form of canine influenza develop a soft, moist cough that persists for 10 to 30 days. Some dogs have a dry cough similar to the "kennel cough" caused by Bordetella bronchiseptica/parainfluenza virus complex. For this reason, canine influenza virus infections are frequently mistaken for "kennel cough." Dogs with the mild form of influenza may also have a thick nasal discharge, which is usually caused by a secondary bacterial infection.

About the severe form***8212;Dogs with the severe form of canine influenza develop high fevers (104***186;F to 106***186;F) and have clinical signs of pneumonia, such as increased respiratory rates and effort. Pneumonia may be due to a secondary bacterial infection.
Because this is a newly emerging disease, almost all dogs, regardless of breed or age, are susceptible to infection and have no immunity. Virtually all dogs that are exposed to the virus become infected and nearly 80***37; show clinical signs of disease. Fortunately, most affected dogs have the mild form.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Love my pets

I found this on another site:

Spread of the Virus

Canine influenza is thought to be a mainly airborne virus, most likely transmitted by an infected dog sneezing or coughing on another.

Symptoms generally appear two to five days after a dog is exposed to the virus.

Infected dogs have the ability to spread the virus for seven to ten days from the onset of symptoms.

Much the same as human influenza, this virus can be spread through direct contact with a contaminated surface.

Infected dogs may not exhibit signs of infection, but are still able to spread the virus.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:32 AM
Top Dog

Thanks Barb ....drinking from the same water bowl is what concerns me .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Big Dog

Default he is still ok....

so hopefully all is well.

The infected dog had her own waterbowl, but all the other dogs were drinking out of the same bowl.