Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-07-2004, 02:46 PM
Active Pup

Unhappy HELP!!! My dog's driving me INSANE!!!!!!!

Ok I've got a year old border collie/ german shepherd cross and he's crazy...I mean totally loopy!

About 9/9:30 ish pm he'll just start barking and running around, he'll be VERY agressive and start nipping and biting for no reason. He seems to be scared of something but it's totally beyond me what he's scared of.

Also during the day he'll have a mad time, he'll be barking for no reason and biting and being very agressive, my family and I have all got bruised hands from trying to stop him biting, none of us know how to stop him or much less how to help or get through to him. He's not misbehaved for my Dad though that's the only thing.

Please of anyone can help it would be greatly apriciated! We're all going mad over here!!!!

Thanks

Niki
xx

You're never alone -especially if your dog decides to jump on you and wake you up!!!!

Last edited by HarleyzGal; 07-07-2004 at 02:47 PM. Reason: missed words!
Old 07-07-2004, 04:36 PM
Dog Spoiler

Do you know if he has any brain problems or something like that? That might be whats causing his weird behavior.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:01 PM
Active Pup

Unhappy ??

I'm not sure, he's starting training classes on Saturday I've always thought his eye sight may not be very good...but not sure about brain prblems. He's just completley bonkers!!

You're never alone -especially if your dog decides to jump on you and wake you up!!!!
Old 07-07-2004, 05:31 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Just a few bg questions... Where did you get your dog and at what age? Is he fixed?
Its hard to say what the problem is without seeing him do it... First thing I'd suggest is to see your vet so he can pin point or rule out medical / physical reasons for the behaivior. Have the vet check his eyes too, or do a simple test at home. Border Collies need to work, he might be going loony because he wants more excersize. It sounds like he could be taking a fit (like a puppy fit?) How old is he? Is he running around while he's barking and biting?
You said he seemed scared of something - The next time he does it be very obeservant... see if there is someone walking around outside, something on TV, does your clock chime? Anything. Sit down and watch him, don't interfere or get bit & maybe you'll find out his problem

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 07-07-2004, 05:55 PM
Felurian

Hmmm . . . German Shepherd/Border Collie mix . . . two extremely work/herding motivated breeds. Sounds like he may be very, very bored.

When our girls are stuck in the house because they don't want to get out in the rain or some other reason, they take a spell in the evening where they tear around in circles in the living room, bounding off the sofa, bouncing off each other and just generally creating chaos until they can't run anymore and flop down with their tongues hanging, or until Bimmer can't stand their mayhem anymore and jumps in the middle of them and reads them the riot act - whichever comes first.

Try getting that pup busy. You might want to check out some things at www.workingdogs.com to get some ideas. Agility would be a superb outlet for him, and so would droving.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:32 AM
Active Pup

Red face

We got him from the RSPCA in potter's Bar (rescue dog center) about a month/6 weeks ago. We don't really have any idea of his history but we think he may have been hit by his previous owners, the shelter said he's very boistrous (is that how you spell it!! ) and domineering, he has been fixed. He's happy enough at home but I'll check the site out and see if I can't give him something to do more in the eveninings, we took him for a long evening walk yesterday and he seemed a little calmer after that (usually we only take long walks with him in the daytime). Thanks for all of your help!

Old 07-08-2004, 09:43 AM
Felurian

I'm so glad the exercise is helping. That does reassure that it's just normal energy and exuberance causing the behaviour and nothing more sinister.

When it gets too intense, just remember, it could be a whole lot more entertaining(???) There could be two of him, and he could weigh over 130 pounds! (Kharma's only 50 -60 pounds right now, but she's growing by the hour.)

I must admit, though, I get a big kick out of watching them cut and chase in the small space. They are having so much fun, and it's great for their future agility in tight places with the cattle. Thankfully, it's not an every night race. It would be a bit much if it were.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Big Dog

i hope that more exercise is going to continues to help him behave better! sounds like you're getting a good start on it.

i saw that renee mentioned agility- i've always been fascinated by agility and it looks like a lot of fun; but my golden and i have had bigger obstacles to deal with before we can get into that- but what i have been doing is training her to jump. she loves it!! agility equipment is really expensive, but you can use practically anything as a jump. i use picnic table benches, (those are my favorites) lawn chairs with poles (those can be knocked over, which is good)- just be creative! so anyways you might want to try that- it might be a good release for your pup! in you're interested i can give you more pointers, just let me know! just remember that you don't want to scold your dog if he does something wrong with this jumping thing because it has to be fun for your dog if they're going to enjoy it. (praise him a lot and use lots of treats! )
Old 07-08-2004, 09:25 PM
Felurian

It's amazing what you can create with PVC pipe, and it's very, very cheap. You can design and make a fun, unique and creative agility course that could easily be taken apart and reassembled in different ways with good ol' PVC pipe.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:16 PM
Big Dog

that sounds like a good idea- i think i'm gonna have to try that!