Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Rescue Forum

Old 03-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Active Pup

Default I nearly hit this dog, but he may be deaply tramatized. Help Please.

I nearly hit a puppy of about 4-6 weeks. ( Yes, with my car, and by accident.) I think he is a pit bull terrier mix. He is really sweet, but is unresponsive to any praise or treats. He seems very uneasy about both of us. Never wags his tail when we are interacting with him.

When my other two dogs are around, He perks up and plays. He also plays with the cats. He doesn't mind attention, he will let us love him, but he would much rather be somewhere else it seems. At the same time, he will follow use around the house. As if he watching to see if we are going to devise some plot against him.
Sorry, I tend to get a bit too descriptive.
Is there any advise? Or questions?
Thanks
Old 03-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Top Dog

???? hit by car ..... more info please !!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-08-2008, 03:59 AM
Active Pup

I I almost hit him with my truck. It is a very busy street at 5:00. It was he and what I assumed to be his mother. She was dragging a broken cable lead. I pulled over to try and get the mother thinking the pup would follow her. she was very evasive and nearly got herself hit two more times. so i concentrated on the puppy hoping the mother would follow him. I got him and could not find her after. The pup had no collar, and is slightly thin.
So now I'm thinking that he may be suffering from severe separation anxiety... maybe. Judging from the neighborhood, it is very possible they both escaped from a dog fighting breeder. So maybe he will never trust a human. But he is so young that I have a hard time thinking he can't be reached.
He defiantly is a tiny bit more trusting with my wife. But like I said, sometimes he will let me give him affection/treats,but I usually have to catch him from evading me to do it.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:57 AM
Big Dog

Once when we were kids this wild looking pup showed up at our house. Maybe 2 mths old matted hair and skinny. We tried everything being kids to catch this pup. My dad finally took an interest in her. He would take fresh meat out and lay down yes lay down (he said he was less intimadating to the pup) a short distance from the meat it took a couple of week moving closer to the meat each day before he could touch her. She turned out to be the best guard dog for us kids. This poor dog when we finally could get to her we called the vet out he said she had broken ribs as was as several lacerations healed over from abuse. Any way its something you might try. Laying down with treats and see if the pup won't eventually come to you. Trust isn't always freely given sometimes we have to earn it. Good Luck and thanks for caring.
Cindy
Old 03-08-2008, 07:07 AM
treehugging clicker freak

He probably misses his mom, and could be in shock from all that!
Trust will come, in time. Some take longer than others.

IMHO I think the pup should be vetted just in case. Is he eating well for you?

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 03-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Love my pets

I do agree to take him to a vet to have him checked out. He's very young and you also want to make sure he's in good health so your other pets don't catch anything from him.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Top Dog

Poor thing may not have been weaned yet .......do vet !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Top Dog

I would suggest a vet check--and yes laying down completely flat may make him approach you more easily