Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Active Pup

Default two dogs in one house.. please help

Well.. we've had our male miniature schnauzer - Pepper - for 2 and a half years now.. during that time we were in school so there was always someone to be with him and keep him company.. now my girlfriend and i are both working and not at home 10 or more hours a day.. we decided to get another dog to keep Pepper company.. we got it from a non-profit organization hearts for hounds.. it looks like some kind of pug/terrier mix and he is quite cute. He is also a male who is not neutered yet...

In the past whenever Pepper interacted with other dogs he would always play with them and have a great time.. but our new dog, Toby, doesn't seem interested in Pepper whatsoever and we are kind of concerend about it. Pepper is obviously jealous and has a great amount of aggression towards Toby which is understandable. But a few months ago we had another dog live here for a couple of days and Pepper was like that at first, but once they got to know each other they couldn't/wouldn;t stop playing.

I really don't want to have to give Toby up since He and Pepper dont' seem to be getting along.. but i may have to give him up and get another dog to keep pepper company..

My question is there anyway to get toby interested in Pepper? Or to make them be friends? I think it is because Toby was rescued from the pound.. so he probably is so used to being around other dogs he just doesnt pay any attention to them.. Pepper goes crazy when he sees neighbors dogs and stuff..

any opinion or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2005, 08:39 PM
Island dweller

Well, when we got Nanook (GSD/Husky) Mikey was extremely jealous. We took them for walks on neutral territory together several times before we brought her home. Neutral territory is key I think. They still have occassional spats that get pretty rough but I think that is because they are too much alike

I don't know really what advice I can give you except to take them out and let them get to know each other better away from home and still making Pepper feel special. Pepper may feel better if you make him 'top dog' by feeding him first, petting him first... help establish hierarchy.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

Ten hours a day is a long time for any dog to be left alone...How long have you had Toby ?? I really don't believe in bringing another dog in as a " sitter "....You really have to re-think your situation.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:13 PM
Active Pup

I have only had toby for two days now.. but all the other dogs that Pepper has interacted with they have gotten along just fine and he has played with them non stop...

It is not that they fight.. It's just that Toby COMPLETELY ignores that Pepper even exists.

Yes, ten hours a day is a long time for a dog to be left alone. That's why we got Toby so the two dogs could play and keep each other company while we are at work. We didn't get Toby as a sitter, but as a friend for Pepper.

Also, Toby is not Nuetered, do you think that makes a difference?
Old 06-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Felurian

Not being neutered yet could definitely be making a difference. Saje gave you some 'sage' advice Neutral territory will make a difference; so will not making a big deal out of Toby being there. The more normal everything is the better!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-13-2005, 09:23 PM
Top Dog

It may be good that they don't interact at this point.....after two days with no
"issues" could be a good sign. Give it a little longer......company doesn't always mean play time......keep us posted...it's an interesting case !
Old 06-13-2005, 09:28 PM
Active Pup

Yeah, I'm gonna wait the rest of this week out first... if things get better -- as in Toby actually pays some attention to Pepper -- then we'll progress from there.. if nothing has changed at all after one week.. we're going to have to seroiusly reconsider calling the society we got the dog from to see if we could find a more suitable dog for pepper.

But yeah, i'll just have to wait it out and hope things improve.. we really don't want to give up Toby!

THanks for the advice, i'll keep you guys updated.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:31 AM
Active Pup

Here's an update on the situation for anybody who cares

Well.. everytime Tobi is given any attention pepper keeps on nibbling at Tobi's neck, legs, back and growling.. grr grrr... in the beginning Tobi was completely ignoring it.. however slowly Tobi has come to the point where he bites back and it ends up sometimes Tobi is chasing pepper around..

Now my only concern is are they playing? Or are they fighting? I know Pepper likes to play rough and I don't mind it.. i usually get pretty rough with him myself when i play with him..

Is there any easy way to tell if two dogs are playing or fighting? I'm mostly concerned because i once found quite a lot of Peppers fur hangin gout of Tobi's Mouth!!
Old 06-17-2005, 08:18 AM
Felurian

It does sound like playing behaviour more than fighting behaviour. When it sounds or looks like it might be getting too rough, interrupt and call both dogs to you for petting. You can give them each a treat - Pepper first or both at the same time. That makes you the one setting the limits on how rough the play can get.

That nibbling is a funny behaviour. I see mine do it to each other all the time. It's actually a pretty subtle communication; it can be an invitation to play, affection, or even a gentle reminder of who is top dog.

It sounds like things are beginning to work out for Pepper and Tobi though. A Pug/Terrier mix should be a very playful dog.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Top Dog

When we first brought Houdini & Myles home, Cocoa didn't like it one bit.. She was extremely jealous, went through resource guarding, etc. It has been 4 months now and although Houdini still doesn't play with Cocoa he will sometimes groom her. As far as Myles well I guess he got tired of getting his ears pulled so now he plays back. I bet they go 25 rounds a day chasing each other around the house, shadow boxing, etc. Definitely give it some time..