Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 11-22-2007, 10:48 PM
Top Dog

Default Shiba Inu?

Does anyone know anything about the Shiba Inu?

We were supposed to get another Dobie in the spring, and chances are that will still happen, but my parents both have also always really liked Shibas. Earlier tonight my Dad mentioned that maybe he'd like get a Shiba at some point, perhaps instead of another Doberman. We've read lots, but does anyone have any first hand experience with the breed? We've only ever met two before, so all knowledge we do have is pretty much from books and the internet. Anything and everything you could tell us would be greatly appreciated.

Ripley
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FDCh-G
Keira CGN
Old 11-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Who woulda thought <3

I wish TempuraTantrum was still here, she would know..

I've always loved Shiba's
Old 11-22-2007, 10:59 PM
But please, call me Barb

I've met two.
One was a totaly out of control dominate dog that had his owner completely under his paw.

The other was a lovely strong female, though not for the faint of heart.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:47 AM
coonhound crazy

I know a little bit about them and my husband's cousin's wife (got that? heh) has two. They are very independent dogs and often get compared more to cats than to other dogs. If you've ever tried to train a cat, you know that means they can be challenging to train. I love independent breeds but I think your average shiba would probably be too independent even for me.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

I've met two, and they reminded me of nothing as much as furry Basenjis . . . not the fameous yodel of course, but the cat-like, independent, semi-wild nature. I don't think they are for everyone. That said, both where darling and very sweet . . . just not quite . . . well, not quite dogs if you know what I mean . . . they were like little wild things that had chosen human companionship.

I know a lot more about Basenjis than I do Shibas, but if my impression of the Shibas is right, you'd be in for something of a wild ride with them . . . a hell of a lot of fun . . . but wild. Getting to know my aunt's Basenji was enough to convince me that I never wanted one . . . I feel much the same, from my limited experience, about Shibas . . . they are deeply cool, lovely little animals . . . and they'd drive me totally insane.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Top Dog

A member of our agility club has several that he has competed with, so I've seen them a bunch at practices and trials. They are definitely independent with high prey drives (kind of like little huskies). Not dogs to trust off-leash in most situations.

I think they are a great size, and the ones I've met have been very quiet dogs (a big plus for me). I do think they would be very different to live with than a dobie or a toller!

Old 11-23-2007, 02:05 PM
and Spy.

Not dogs to trust off-leash in most situations.

I've heard never. LOL

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:12 PM
Just try me..

There is someone in Ontario that runs agility with a Shiba. Made the world team with her too

She is a neat little dog, I hear they very independent, what's in it for me? Sort of dog. Cool dogs.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

Thanks guys.

We know that they're very idependent, sort of "cat-like" dogs. Very prey driven, "stubborn"/not eager to please, etc. Basically we've read everything mentioned in this thread so far, but I was just hoping somebody had some actual first hand experience with them and could explain a bit more.

Oh, and Tollers and Dobermans are obviously vastly different breeds, as are Shibas compared to them. We're not looking for something the same. My Dad always grew up with Rotties, so when he was an adult, he got more as "that's what he's used to". Then by chance we got a Doberman. We'd like something different and something medium sized.

Ripley
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FDCh-G
Keira CGN
Old 11-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Big Dog

A friend of mine has two and they are are opposites. The male is standoffish and the female doesn't mind me petting her. Neither can ever be off leash, they are gone in an instant. The dogs know their basic obedience and behave nicely on their leashes but they are slow to respond. Like you tell them to sit and they take their time. They both shed a ton. I've never heard them bark and I haven't noticed any doggy odor.