Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-22-2007, 12:21 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Question what to do?

So, Buddy is on a elimination diet and part of that required that we wean him off of his allergy meds. He was doing okay for a few days and then they just got so bad. I treated his paw with meds last night and have him a benadryl. He looks better already, but I'm really worried about his condition and if this is the best for him right now. He already has a compromised immune system.. he can't have any of his vitamins or the like until we get down to the bottom of his food allergies.

Do we continue the ED? Or stop it and try a grain-free kibble he's not had before? Do we just give him benadryl when he needs it? He needs to get meds for his paw, I'm sure, and those will probably be antibiotics. Any feedback is appreciated.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:26 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

le bump...
Old 11-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Water Junkie

I really have no idea. Poor guy

Have you talked to your vet about it -I assume he's the one doing this or is it Mordy? I would definitely talk to him/her about it before doing anything.

I would get his paw taken care of if he's in pain. What's wrong with it?

Do you have ANY idea of what could be causing his allergies? Meat source or grains?

Have you thought about just going full-blown raw for a while to see if that helps?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-22-2007, 05:05 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
I really have no idea. Poor guy

Have you talked to your vet about it -I assume he's the one doing this or is it Mordy? I would definitely talk to him/her about it before doing anything.
The vet had suggested switching to a new protein source kibble...Eukanuba's fish and sweet potato. Mordy has actually developed the plan for us. She is very helpful.

Quote:
I would get his paw taken care of if he's in pain. What's wrong with it?
Yeast infection, they occur regularly, if not in his ear then on his paw. We have topical meds for it and I started those last night and wrapped his paw so he wouldn't gnaw on it.

Quote:
Do you have ANY idea of what could be causing his allergies? Meat source or grains?
No clue. They were okay and then we switched to Canidae and they blew up again... the thing is they have the same protein sources, so it could be the amount of them, or it could be the grains.

Quote:
Have you thought about just going full-blown raw for a while to see if that helps?
I did and was ready for it but Mordy said the best way to go would be an elimination diet. I'm inclined to agree with her (she's always been right ), but Buddy's allergies are really bad and we need to be able to provide help for him.

I am at my wit's end here.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:06 PM
swimming upstream

I wish I had some knowledge here...but I'm sorry--I'm clueless on this! I sure hope you can figure it out though.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Water Junkie

If raws something you haven't tried, and raw has been known to help allergies, I'd say go for it.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-22-2007, 06:02 PM
Bored Now.

I'd go all raw.. but I'd stick to only one or two protein sources if possible, at least in the beginning.

But really, that's my only idea. I'm sorry I can't help more.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Water Junkie

Oh, yes Nol, forgot to mention that. Definitly stick to one -like chicken- protien source.

l ~Jennifer~ l
Old 11-23-2007, 08:38 AM
Love my pets

I use Canidae Chicken & Rice formula (pet store orders it for me) since Max didn't do well on the regular formula with a mixture of protein sources.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Top Dog

I think you should stick with the elimination diet a little bit longer. Treat the "blow ups" as you have been--with Benadryl and the topical treatment.

If he improves in the long run then you will start to get some answers. However, if you switch foods now he may still have problems, or he might do better for a while before reverting. Then you would be really lost. Do you see what I mean?