Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 11-21-2007, 09:29 PM
Oh, it's *you*

MOST breeds that are inclined to protect are not for the first time owner I think that's fair to say. But the question was posed and I made a recommendation...because if someone is GOING to have a protectively inclined dog for their first...they ARE and th least I can do is educate them on the needs of the breed and how to find one from a reputable source.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 11-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundedByHounds View Post
because if someone is GOING to have a protectively inclined dog for their first...they ARE and th least I can do is educate them on the needs of the breed and how to find one from a reputable source.
Very true. I have seen first time dog owners successfully own, train and handle a protection dog. But not without a lot of professional assistance and guidance.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 11-21-2007, 09:39 PM
Oh, it's *you*

I said protectively inclined...not protection dogs. IMO one is not equal to the other. My Akitas did just fine on their own as far as judgement calls.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:44 PM
Oh, it's *you*

Ahh to the OP I also forgot...the Chow and SharPei both are a bit smaller but also a naturally protective breed.

Many can be sweet and kind with people and other animals if purchased from a reputable source and raised properly. Mixes of these two breeds are also quite common in shelters and that's an option to explore...as is rescue.

Neither is particularly gaga for exercise...but there are some pretty common health concerns like eye skin and ortho things.

More I think about it a nice Chow mix could fit your needs quite nicely...and don't think of Shar Pei as those cute wrinkly puppies...they are quite a lot of dog when grown and can be very headstrong...as can the Chow...so be aware!

Old 11-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
OP... Why don't you move into a better neighborhood?
Gotta love lack of funds. :P
Old 11-21-2007, 10:05 PM
Active Pup

To HoundedByHounds.

I actually adore Akitas. There's one breed I know a thing or two about. (Most spitz types I do.) And I've helped friends who had behavioral problem Akitas and spitz types to make them behave. I've never had dogs before, but I do know how to train them, because I do behavorial training at humane societies, ironically. But spitz type dogs just aren't right for my home environment. I'd feel horrible keeping a high energy level dog inside all the time, and only out for walks and that's it. That'd drive the poor pup bananas. I'd at least want to get the money for a fenced yard before I get a spitz.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Oh, it's *you*

LOL no Akita I have ever owned...could be described as high energy...lol. Totally laid back in the home and even too long a walk would annoy them, esp if it were above 75 degrees out!

Old 11-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Are you dead yet?

How about a livestock guardian like a Pyrenees? They're not extremely high energy dogs (the adults that I know are laid back, but still respond quickly to a potential threat) but they're naturally quite protective and working-bred Pyrs don't need to be trained to do so - though obedience training to keep them under control is a MUST.

I don't know a lot about protection training, but I've noticed that a lot of the high-drive dogs (not just shepherds and dobermans, but any high drive breed) require a ton (and I mean a ton) of training and micro-managing. Maybe you don't have the time for that? As a senior in high school (homeschooled also) I don't have all day to make sure my dog isn't out of control and a danger to someone. I really think that a naturally mellow dog equipped with protective instincts is the best way to go, personally.

But either way, getting the dog will be the smallest part of the equation - the big deal will be you and your dad learning how to handle the dog.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:25 PM
Active Pup

HoundedByHounds:
I've seen Akitas that act both ways. Some were really laid back, but others were driven so mad because walks and play time just wasn't enough. They were quite destructive! (Not an Akita, but I knew of a Siberian Husky who chewed through a door once because it wasn't being exercised properly. Hah hah!)

RD:
That's actually what I'm really looking for. Perhaps I didn't express myself correctly in the original post.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I just talked to a bull mastiff owner a couple days ago. He got "rid" of his dog because it killed every cat that came into his yard. I also know another bull mastiff owner, not a dog I would reccommend to a first time dog owner regardless of the person's needs.
Just my opinion.. no offense SP.

OP... Why don't you move into a better neighborhood?
Interesting point of view. My very close friend breeds and shows bullmastiffs and I have spent a lot of time with her dogs and learning about the breed. They can have a high prey-drive, but not all of them do, you would have to know the line and the individual temperament. They definitely need a strong leader, but if the dog owner is committed to learning and obedience training there is no reason why a bullmastiff couldn't make a wonderful first time dog. It all comes down to how serious the new owner is and how they research who to get their puppy from. I have known many incredibly docile and loyal bullmastiffs that children can control.