Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 11-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
I would go with a dog that will back up his threats if need be, and be sure to get adequate professional training for him, but that depends on just how bad the neighborhood actually is.
In my opinion a person shouldn't get a dog for "protection" only... there is much more to owning a dog than, "he will protect me"... Especially for a first time dog owner... You are asking for problems. I can see wanting a dog to alert to strange activity, but from there on you should be the one protecting. And to put a protection dog into a bad neighborhood is really asking... "how will my dog die?"

Why don't you and your father go to a firearms class? Protect yourself, and get a "watch dog", almost any dog will alert to something strange going on.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
I'm not saying I want some vicious mean guard dog and that's all I want, but I don't want a dog that's just standing by and barking while someone is trying to harm me.
A protection dog is not a vicious mean dog. He is well adusted, friendly towards friendly strangers, and responds to a threat by barking, and if necessary by biting.

Quote:
I guess I'd kind of like a dog that could take someone down if need be, even if not of any particular breed. I was just wondering if there were any dogs that were inclined to be protective. (Not vicious.)
If you want him to be willing and able to take someone down, you definitely aren't looking at low-energy. He needs strong prey drive, as well as defensive to balance it. It's not easy to explain on a forum, so I urge you to find someone who trains protection dogs, and not someone who trains "junk yard" protection, but someone skilled in personal protection, police dog training, or someone who specializes in sport protection but has experience with personal protection as well.

I also would suggest getting a dog either through a protection trainer or from a breeder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noccy View Post
Every house around me has gotten broken into and multiple murders have occured over the passed five years in neighboring streets. It's only due time before my house is targeted as well. (It has been actually. But none of the break ins were successful.)

I also would suggest moving!!

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 11-21-2007, 09:04 PM
Salty Sea Dog

ive yet to meet a dog that wouldnt back up the growl IF it truly felt it needed to...

even my dodger man who is all talk mostly would fly at anyone threatening me...true he probably woudlnt last long but hed get a few good bites and tears in there before hand...
Ruby who loves everyone has provel that 10lbs can be enough to ward off those with ill intent...

as a general rule of thumb, big dogs are visual deterents, ANY dog that barks is an audial deterant (statistics show that homes with ANY dog that might make a ruccous and draw attention is more likely to be passed over than a home with no dog) Small dogs tend to be the best watch dogs, i can never remember but the lhasa or shitzu was developd as a temple guard dog...they are small...

it realy depends on what you can handle personally a reactive dog is definatly not a good choice for a beginner, professional training of a breed like a gsd or rottie ect is expensive and those dogs tend to be high drive and require alot more excersize than many other breeds (a gsd or rottie or dobe would simply be very unhappy with a couple walks a day)
there are plenty of dogs that will provide a visual and audial deterant for general living purposes and if push comes to shove instinct for most breeds is to switch from "warning" to "protect"

live stock guardian breeds are bred for the purpose of being protective, however i doubt im alone when i say i dont think ANY of the LSG breeds would be suitable for a beginner or lack of activity...

as i said, my 3lb chihuhaua would TRY and protect me if push came to shove...so will my 10lb crestie, and my parents 25lb cocker, doesnt matter how big or small any dog that bonds with their person is likely to know when the situation calls for that change from companion to protector...
Even the people lovers seem to know if the time arises.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 11-21-2007, 09:06 PM
Top Dog

Really any big dog who warns is protection . I just wouldn't want a dog that
I couldn't trust with friends and family .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Top Dog

I would recommend based on what you said, a bullmastiff. Since you aren't naturally active, this would be a great breed to consider AND they are wonderful companions along with having a strong protective drive once they reach maturity at about 2 years of age. An added bonus is their appearance. Honestly, while a lot of dogs can be protective, if you are looking for a dog specifically for that purpose, I would pick from the working group.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:16 PM
Oh, it's *you*

Actually an Akita female might be a good choice. They require structure and obedience training...but NOT protection training. They do that naturally. They are independant dogs that do not need an owner around 24/7 and are usually very quick to bond with one or two people...but seldom welcome strangers without proper introductions.

I would trust my life to an Akita...but you need to be aware that they are a thinking breed, and very powerful too. You must think ahead of them and keep things in order at home with a good leadership program. They do not typically like other dogs or small animals so if you have plans for a lot of pets in future they'd be a poor choice.

BUT if you find a nice one in rescue..which I know there are a TON of young sweet adults in rescue right now...you might have a nice match for your situation.

They do not require a bunch of exercise but they do shed...heavily...twice a year.

ETA: An Akita will act if necessary. A friend of mine has an extremely sweet bitch that she came home to find stabbed several times after a failed break in...nothing was taken and the dog lived...but the point was...most of the wounds were in the face and neck of the dog...she acted. And this is a dog that plays with kids and is trustworthy around other animals as well. Akitas are not window dressing...they will act.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 11-21-2007, 09:19 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
I just wouldn't want a dog that I couldn't trust with friends and family.
There is no reason not to trust a protection trained dog with friends and family.

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 11-21-2007, 09:22 PM
overdogged

i hate to say it, but i wouldn't recommend most of these breeds of dogs to joe average dog owner, and as a junior in high school, the OP doesn't have a lot of dog experience. dog ownership, especially of an "aggressive" breed, is a huge responsibility, and, well, it's not for everyone. these kind of dogs in the hands of people who are not prepared to deal with them end up in trouble, and then there are more breed bans and stupid laws.

i love the idea of a greyhound, personally. or a mixed breed of suitable energy level and size from a rescue. any dog is going to be a deterrent when it comes to keeping people out of your house. and any medium to large breed dog is going to be a deterrent on the street.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:24 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWench View Post
ive yet to meet a dog that wouldnt back up the growl IF it truly felt it needed to...
I've seen many who wouldn't back up the growl. But if they have the right balance of drives, they will most likely act. With the right drives and training, they definitely will act.

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

I just talked to a bull mastiff owner a couple days ago. He got "rid" of his dog because it killed every cat that came into his yard. I also know another bull mastiff owner, not a dog I would reccommend to a first time dog owner regardless of the person's needs.
Just my opinion.. no offense SP.

OP... Why don't you move into a better neighborhood?